cleaned my own stoma/prosthesis

debbiejeanne
debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
edited April 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I cleaned my stoma/prosthesis yesterday but didn't do it right.  I couldn't see the prosthesis so i never go the brush in it to clean it.  I cleaned the stoma and prosthesis again today and I did it right! I know I did, because I actually saw the prosthesis!! my caregiver showed me where to point the brush and there it was! I was looking right over it as I thought it was deep in the stoma and in the middle. wrong....it is just right inside the stoma and on the left side. very easy to see and very easy to reach. when I cleaned it yesterday, I was actually just sticking the brush again the walls of the stoma, that's why I was coughing so bad. today was less coughing and much, much easier. I feel so elated! its a great feeling to do this myself. thanks to all my lary friends/caregivers who responded with suggestions/ways to clean it. I can't believe I was so scared of this for so long. I feel like I've grown up overnight....lol.  This is a really BIG step for me.   That was the last thing my caregiver was doing for me and now i can do it myself.  i'm one happy person today!!

Comments

• KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103
    Celebrate

Celebrate the big steps.  On your way to independence.

• Ingrid K
    Ingrid K Member Posts: 813
    YIPPPPPEEEEE

I am soooooo proud of you girl !!!

I know what a big step this is/was for you and also how much you disliked being dependent on someone to do this for you every day.

Way to go -- no stopping you now.Wink

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    way to go

dj,

Very good! 

Next I will show you how to change a tire and paint the house.

Happy for you,

Matt

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Proud of you....

Yep, we're very proud of you and it is a major step. To others these seem like small or no-big-thing. They are so wrong, IT'S MAJOR. So glad for you Debbie. You did good my friend!

wmc    

Bill Oct 2013

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi Debbie

I know the feeling, when I first got my PEG tube my caregiver wife would sit down and fill the syringe for me each time after a few weeks I looked at her and said dear I think I can do it all by myself. She looked at and said OK but I am right here if you need any help, she was treating me like a baby but I understand because that is what she does. Now with the help of the Nutribullet I am able to leave home for days on the road and stop and eat whatever I want. To me that was a great victory, next Month in June I plan to go home to visit my brother in Honduras. It will be the first time I traveled by air and have to pass through the Airport security with a PEG Tube and supplies to eat in my bag as I travel.

Freedom, I love it

Tim Hondo

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Whoo Hoo!!!

I know you will get better at it with practice (like all things.....practice makes perfect).  My mom rigged up something to hold a small flashlight on her makeup mirror, so she could see her prothesis.  I wish I could remember how she did that.

p

• Goyca
    Goyca Member Posts: 220
    Bravo :)

Bravo Debbie :)

Proud

Goyca.

• debbiejeanne
    CivilMatt said:

way to go

dj,

Very good! 

Next I will show you how to change a tire and paint the house.

Happy for you,

Matt

gee, thanks, matt, but that

gee, thanks, matt, but that may be a tad toooooo much......lol.  well, maybe not the tire.

dj

• debbiejeanne
    thank you everyone!!  it is a

thank you everyone!!  it is a great feeling.

dj

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428

dj

Great

Yay - that is great news.

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member

dj

now...

Make sure you make those regular appointments and not let things lapse.

• debbiejeanne
    donfoo said:

now...

Make sure you make those regular appointments and not let things lapse.

definitely!!
    dj

definitely!!

dj

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    Hi DJ

Good news except for "I feel like I've grown up". Regardless of being 30 (twice) I will never ever grow up just ain't no fun. Phran says practice makes perfect Hmmmm I'm still trying to tie my own shoes.

All kidding aside, I am happy for you. Smile onLaughing

Jeff

• Ladylacy
    Ladylacy Member Posts: 773 Member
    Never have done

Debbie I have never have cleaned my husband's stoma.  He has done everything from the beginning himself.  Tried to help him once and he got mad at me so I told him to do it himself and he does.  LOL   But the time is coming closer when I will have to do it and I will be scared silly the first few things.  But I will eventually manage without being scared, I hope.  Even the hospice nurses don't understand what he does but then again they have never watched him like I do.  

Wishing you the best -- Sharon

• debbiejeanne
    Ladylacy said:

Never have done

Debbie I have never have cleaned my husband's stoma.  He has done everything from the beginning himself.  Tried to help him once and he got mad at me so I told him to do it himself and he does.  LOL   But the time is coming closer when I will have to do it and I will be scared silly the first few things.  But I will eventually manage without being scared, I hope.  Even the hospice nurses don't understand what he does but then again they have never watched him like I do.  

Wishing you the best -- Sharon

sharon, it's very easy and

sharon, it's very easy and will be even easier for you as you will be able to see it much easier.  you will do fine when you do it, don't worry.  i can't believe i was afraid of it for so long, it's nothing!  you and your hubby are always in my prayers.  i hope joe isn't in too much pain.  pm me if you ever want to talk.

God bless you,

dj