Arimedex side effects

Options
ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member

Hi everyone. I have not been on here for awhile.I been having bad pains in my feet and hands.I been going to a orthopedic dr.He has been giving me shots in my hands.He told me I have trigger finger.Now my feet are cramping and hurting.I have appointment with him in a couple weeks.I have talked to my Cancer Dr. About this as I am soon to be a five year Breast Cancer surviver.She never said it could be the Arimedex.I just done research on this arimedexI have every side effect just about that it listed.Said having trouble with hands and feet hurting,yes.itching yes.constipation yes.depression,yes.several other side effects as well.I have 8 months to go on this medicine should I talk to her about this?Or stick it out 8 months.I have also fought for 4yrs. Trying to get the weight off.And it is almost impossible.I would love to hear from you if you have experienced side effects.Thank you.

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    All of the aromatase

All of the aromatase inhibitors can cause joint pain, but each works a little differently.  My older sister seemed to have no problems with aromasin and my younger sister has had mild joint pain on femara.  I have had pretty bad joint pain off and on since right after tamoxifen in approximately 1994.  All the rheumatologist could tell me (after numerous tests) is that I had arthritis of unknown origin, possibly related to my thyroid disease.  I was about 40 then.  Anyway, you might give aromasin a try?

When my cancer recurred, I did arimidex, followed by faslodex for cancer mets.  My arthritis is worse now: I wear mainly running shoes or the like for severe arthritis in my right foot, my knees and feet burn (that is probably neuropathy) and my hands and shoulders often ache.  BTW, my onc did tell me that the aromatase inhibitors, such as arimidex, can have nasty side effects - especially joint pain.  Some of this could also be from the cancer.

One other thought, have your onc check your vitamin d level as increased joint pain while on arimidex may occur with low vitamin d levels: http://www.painmedicinenews.com/ViewArticle.aspx?d=Clinical%2BPain%2BMedicine&d_id=82&i=October+2012&i_id=897&a_id=21847

My vitamin d levels were very low so I was referred to an endocrinologist who gradually got them up to normal.  I think that did improve my pain.

I have suffered depression, but I think that is more cancer/stress related as that started before arimidex and reared its head again off of arimidex.

I have learned to manage over the years, as best I can, by taking low doses of pain meds, 1/2 dose lexapro and mild exercise.  Exercise (any movement such as walking) distributes joint fluid around your joints and acts as a sort of oiling can.  The less you move, the stiffer and more pain.  Moving is easier said than done when you hurt.  I aim for a slow walk of 1-2 miles a day and that helps a lot.

For constipation, fluids and prune juice help me the most.  Fiber tends to make me worse, I think because I am already eating a lot of fiber.  My problem is getting things moving, so to speak, and prune juice is a laxative (speeds up the gut and lubricates).  TMI...lol, but, forgive me, it is the NP in me.

I am battling with weight myself - especially getting IV steroids every 3 weeks indefinitely.  I try and eat less and move more, but haven't been entirely successful lately...lol.  That's always a battle, isn't it?!

Good luck and I hope you get some answers and help and that you are feeling better soon!!!  And I hope some of my rambling on helps.  Please keep us posted!!!

• MrsBob
    MrsBob Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Hi! 
    I also take Arimidex and

Hi! 

I also take Arimidex and I have joint and mucle aches and pains. I also feel like I have arthritis that is getting worse. However...I was feeling GREAT on Monday. I hadnt felt so good in a long time. It lasted til Thursday when I got my Xgeva shot for bone cancer. I started REALLY aching that evenimg and have felt horrible ever since. If i get feeling better by the time my next shot is due, i may decide to not get it anymore. 

Back to Arimidex: I have weight gain (@15 pds in one year ) i did have depression jan-march but better now, joint stiffness, and constipation. Walking does help all of those symptoms.

CypressCynthia: you are such a help and a blessing. I always apprecite your words :-)

• ppurdin
    Options
    MrsBob said:

Hi! 
    I also take Arimidex and

Hi! 

I also take Arimidex and I have joint and mucle aches and pains. I also feel like I have arthritis that is getting worse. However...I was feeling GREAT on Monday. I hadnt felt so good in a long time. It lasted til Thursday when I got my Xgeva shot for bone cancer. I started REALLY aching that evenimg and have felt horrible ever since. If i get feeling better by the time my next shot is due, i may decide to not get it anymore. 

Back to Arimidex: I have weight gain (@15 pds in one year ) i did have depression jan-march but better now, joint stiffness, and constipation. Walking does help all of those symptoms.

CypressCynthia: you are such a help and a blessing. I always apprecite your words :-)

Thank you

I appriatte your input.I Pray you feel better soon.Thanks again

• ppurdin
    Options

All of the aromatase

All of the aromatase inhibitors can cause joint pain, but each works a little differently.  My older sister seemed to have no problems with aromasin and my younger sister has had mild joint pain on femara.  I have had pretty bad joint pain off and on since right after tamoxifen in approximately 1994.  All the rheumatologist could tell me (after numerous tests) is that I had arthritis of unknown origin, possibly related to my thyroid disease.  I was about 40 then.  Anyway, you might give aromasin a try?

When my cancer recurred, I did arimidex, followed by faslodex for cancer mets.  My arthritis is worse now: I wear mainly running shoes or the like for severe arthritis in my right foot, my knees and feet burn (that is probably neuropathy) and my hands and shoulders often ache.  BTW, my onc did tell me that the aromatase inhibitors, such as arimidex, can have nasty side effects - especially joint pain.  Some of this could also be from the cancer.

One other thought, have your onc check your vitamin d level as increased joint pain while on arimidex may occur with low vitamin d levels: http://www.painmedicinenews.com/ViewArticle.aspx?d=Clinical%2BPain%2BMedicine&d_id=82&i=October+2012&i_id=897&a_id=21847

My vitamin d levels were very low so I was referred to an endocrinologist who gradually got them up to normal.  I think that did improve my pain.

I have suffered depression, but I think that is more cancer/stress related as that started before arimidex and reared its head again off of arimidex.

I have learned to manage over the years, as best I can, by taking low doses of pain meds, 1/2 dose lexapro and mild exercise.  Exercise (any movement such as walking) distributes joint fluid around your joints and acts as a sort of oiling can.  The less you move, the stiffer and more pain.  Moving is easier said than done when you hurt.  I aim for a slow walk of 1-2 miles a day and that helps a lot.

For constipation, fluids and prune juice help me the most.  Fiber tends to make me worse, I think because I am already eating a lot of fiber.  My problem is getting things moving, so to speak, and prune juice is a laxative (speeds up the gut and lubricates).  TMI...lol, but, forgive me, it is the NP in me.

I am battling with weight myself - especially getting IV steroids every 3 weeks indefinitely.  I try and eat less and move more, but haven't been entirely successful lately...lol.  That's always a battle, isn't it?!

Good luck and I hope you get some answers and help and that you are feeling better soon!!!  And I hope some of my rambling on helps.  Please keep us posted!!!

Thanks

I appriatte your feedback.I will check and see how my vitamin d was a few weeks ago.I had been taking it but think Dr. Had me to stop it.Thanks again.

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    MrsBob said:

Hi! 
    I also take Arimidex and

Hi! 

Any of the bisphosphonates,

Any of the bisphosphonates, such as Xgeva, can cause a flu-like syndrome.  Although I get many side effects, I never suffered that one.  My younger sister did though.  The good news is that it usually gets milder with time.  Not sure when you started Xgeva, but, hopefully, that will get better.

My approach has always been to figure out how to manage these side effects and keep going on therapy.  Not always easy though.  Hope you feel better soon!

• mckevnic
    mckevnic Member Posts: 71
    Options
    Same symptoms

HI all!

It's been a long time since I've been on here. Lots going on in my life but recently I'm just taking time out to reconnect with old friends and get back into this discussion board that has helped me so much! I hope I can return the favor to other members whose helpful comments helped me in the past. Now I hope my 2 cents can help others.

I am 4 years out from treatment and have been on Tamoxifen, Arimidex, Aromasin, and now Femara. Besides tamoxifen, the other meds gave me dibilitating pain and stiffness. My Vit D levels were fine. Chemo doc told me that these drugs have a side effect that mirrors arthritis. Yes they do! But after all that we have been through, we should NOT have to be crippled.

After switching from Tamoxifen, to Arimidex, to Aromasin, and struggling for months to get up off the sofa because my body/joints were all locked up, I decided there MUST be something they can do. I read somewhere that Cymbalta helps with the pain so my chemo doc prescribed it (60 mg/once a day). Within 2 weeks, I noticed a huge difference! The stiffness was still there a little, but the pain was gone! This lasted for about a year. Then the symptoms started coming back so the doc switched me to Femara. Again, I had some relief for a while until the symptoms creeped back in again. Chemo doc increased Cymbalta from 60 to 90mg, and the pain is gone again! Such a relief!!

For me, Cymbalta also helps with what I think is depression too. I think for what we go through with cancer, that's enough to depress anyone. Then there's daily life things that add to the stress.

My point being, we shouldn't have to suffer after all that we've been through. Keep asking doctors until you get the relief you deserve :)

Hang in there!

Chris

• ppurdin
    Options
    mckevnic said:

Same symptoms

HI all!

It's been a long time since I've been on here. Lots going on in my life but recently I'm just taking time out to reconnect with old friends and get back into this discussion board that has helped me so much! I hope I can return the favor to other members whose helpful comments helped me in the past. Now I hope my 2 cents can help others.

I am 4 years out from treatment and have been on Tamoxifen, Arimidex, Aromasin, and now Femara. Besides tamoxifen, the other meds gave me dibilitating pain and stiffness. My Vit D levels were fine. Chemo doc told me that these drugs have a side effect that mirrors arthritis. Yes they do! But after all that we have been through, we should NOT have to be crippled.

After switching from Tamoxifen, to Arimidex, to Aromasin, and struggling for months to get up off the sofa because my body/joints were all locked up, I decided there MUST be something they can do. I read somewhere that Cymbalta helps with the pain so my chemo doc prescribed it (60 mg/once a day). Within 2 weeks, I noticed a huge difference! The stiffness was still there a little, but the pain was gone! This lasted for about a year. Then the symptoms started coming back so the doc switched me to Femara. Again, I had some relief for a while until the symptoms creeped back in again. Chemo doc increased Cymbalta from 60 to 90mg, and the pain is gone again! Such a relief!!

For me, Cymbalta also helps with what I think is depression too. I think for what we go through with cancer, that's enough to depress anyone. Then there's daily life things that add to the stress.

My point being, we shouldn't have to suffer after all that we've been through. Keep asking doctors until you get the relief you deserve :)

Hang in there!

Chris

Pain

I agree we should not have to be in so much pain after all we have went through with Cancer.I have appointment with orthopedic dr. Next week.I don't know if I should go to him or talk to my Cancer Dr. About the pain.I am over four years into doing Cancer meds. After Breast Cancer.I also itch a lot.I also read this is a side effect.I am very depressed witch don't help with the weight gain.I hardly leave the house.dont like being around many people.I take different over counter meds. For the pain.my feet and hands hurt the worse.hard to know what dr. To see.I am trying to do the five years of Cancer meds.So I can say I have done everything I could to fight the Beast of Cancer off.seams like the side effects are getting worse.Thanks for your reply.I appriatte it.