Howdy

khl8
khl8 Member Posts: 807

Helllo everyone,  it's been ages since I have posted in here.  I still lurk sometimes however I have not been very active. I suppose it is the survivors guilt getting to me. 

For the newbies, I am a stage III rectal cancer surviver, I was diagnosed in 2008, had the oral chemo and radiation, resection, Folfox, illeostomy and reversal.  

I recently hit the 5 year all clear anniversary and havee graduated to once a year appointments with the oncologist for my piece of mind. 

Cancer was the worst and best thing that happend to me, it taught me to live my life to the fullest.  I came out of this nightmare a different woman than the one who was told "you have cancer".  Once the treatments were done and I had a chance to catch my breath,  I realized I had to make the moments count now, to do the things I always wanted to do, today not tomorrow.  Do I wish I had not had to experience this epihany?  Of course i do, but when I look back at the last few years, I wonder if this was my wake up call, to get out and LIVE as if there is no guarantee I would wake up. 

I went from being a quiet, sitting in the corner lady who like to stay home, to a world traveling, tatooed Harley owner with a ton of friends and activities now to keep  woman half my age busy for weeks. And I am embarrasssing the hell out of my grown children. 

You are not Cancer, you just happen to have it. 

it's your life, Live it, Love it, be it.  

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Awesome

Gotta love it.  Good for you.  Thank you so much for the update and I've wondered about you as well as, like you said, you've been silent for some time, but glad you have moved on.  You go girl, do all you want, and where you can.  Bring out the best and show your children you've found your gusto for life Laughing

Kim

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Many, many congratulations!

Please don't have survivor guilt. As one who has just been bumped up to Stage IV, I can honestly tell you that your many years NED fill me with nothing but happiness; and I'm sure I speak for many, if not all who will read your post. 

How wonderful that you have blossomed into this wonderful tattooed Harley woman. You are living your life, and that is beautiful news. Keep on keeping on. And don't lurk but join us more often. I bet you have a ton of great advice for new folk here, who are travelling the same road, and would LOVE to know that they can be tattooed Harley women (or something equally exciting) in five years. 

• lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    Thank you for posting.

You are right. An event like cancer puts everything in a different perspective. I too went through some fundamental changes. Got rid of all the people who held me back and strengthened the connections that were important to me. I'm not gonna kill myself working anymore. In fact because of my illness my career is turning in the direction I always wanted it to be, but was affraid to make the necessary changes. You never know what you wake up to. Just look at the weird tragedies every day in the news. Your next breath is not guaranteed weather you are healthy or ill.

thanks again.

laz

• sharpy102
    sharpy102 Member Posts: 368 Member
    lp1964 said:

Thank you for posting.

You are right. An event like cancer puts everything in a different perspective. I too went through some fundamental changes. Got rid of all the people who held me back and strengthened the connections that were important to me. I'm not gonna kill myself working anymore. In fact because of my illness my career is turning in the direction I always wanted it to be, but was affraid to make the necessary changes. You never know what you wake up to. Just look at the weird tragedies every day in the news. Your next breath is not guaranteed weather you are healthy or ill.

thanks again.

laz

you are right

@khl8: you know, you are right about cancer changing you and make you realize to live every moment and do things that makes you happy. And honestly, it is similar for caregivers. Ok, maybe this is a too big generalization, and we may see somewhere showing up here who will beg to differ, but at least in my case...before my Mom got sick I used to be scared of trying new things. I used to feel better just staying at home and do things that are familiar to me. Then after that- well following coming back out from a good 2 year depression- I realized I have to just do things that makes me happy, who knows when my day will come. I am not planning to put my foot out of this world too soon, but...if I think about how old my Mom was...anyway, long story short, to me it seems it's not only the patient that changes following cancer diagnosis, but the caregivers, close relatives change too in a similar way. All the best everybody!

• Lisa2012
    Lisa2012 Member Posts: 142
    Welcome Back!

Nice to see your post, it gives hope to those currently in the thick of this battle!  So glad to hear you are out there living!  Keep the shiny side up!

lisa

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    great to hear

Reborn to be wild, hugs ron.

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    You go Girl

Right on, ride on motorcycle mama and enjoy life!!!!  I too seem to have learned this lesson and isn't it grand?????

Winter Marie

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    I justngot my motorcycle

I justngot my motorcycle lisence last year on my 49th birthday after wanting to get it for 30 years. I am sure cancer had a lot to do with it.

• pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Life after cancer

I was diagnosed in 2007 - stage 3 - two postive lymph nodes.  The usual treatment, I had a rough time.  i was diagnosed in 2013 with Stage I breast cancer, lumpectomy, radiation.

All I have to say, is:

YOU GO GIRL!!

I have been travelling all over the world, enjoying my friends, my family and lots of food, I am a big time foodie.  I have to watch a few things in the food arena, but --- this is not a dress rehersal.  Grab life and live it!!

I am just in the process of starting a new business, combining philantropy and fashion - another dream come true.

Cancer sucks, but take a few life lessons from it - and go for it.

Pam