paper gowns

twinthings
twinthings Member Posts: 409

I am nearing the 1 year mark...already! 

It was May 1st, 2013, that I was admitted to the hospital with the stomach flu. I didn't know it at the time, but, I also had kidney cancer.   Little did I know, very soon, I'd be rocking a paper gown for a second time that month, to have my cancerous kidney removed.  This picture was taken shortly before I was wheeled into surgery.  It reminds me where I've been and just how far I've come.

 

«1

Comments

  • Karen0074
    Karen0074 Member Posts: 64
    You look fab

    Sindy, you look amazing and so calm in that pic. How were you feeling at that point? The anxiety for the wait to see a urologist is starting to get to me now only a week after getting CT results. 

  • sblairc
    sblairc Member Posts: 585 Member
    Great smile!

    Way to go! And a reminder for me to STAY POSITIVE for my husband! Thanks for the smiling reminder. 

  • APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    sblairc said:

    Great smile!

    Way to go! And a reminder for me to STAY POSITIVE for my husband! Thanks for the smiling reminder. 

    Wow!

    You do look great and what a nice smile Smile How were you able to be so calm? I was sobbing my eyes out as they were sheeling me in, lol. Way to go!

  • nsb748
    nsb748 Member Posts: 89
    APny said:

    Wow!

    You do look great and what a nice smile Smile How were you able to be so calm? I was sobbing my eyes out as they were sheeling me in, lol. Way to go!

    You certainly look a little

    You certainly look a little happier than I did.  Probably didn't help that my paper gown fit me more like a large T-Shirt.

    Being calm is the easy part, they give you pills for that haha

  • DSFrey
    DSFrey Member Posts: 69
    Wow!

    Very photogenic you are! You are certainly rocking that paper gown.

  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    What the heck?

    Posing for a picture, in a johnny, before surgery?.. Who ever does that?.. With a smile!..If thats not the look of a winner, then what is?.. You've got this thing knocked. Looking great Sindy. Congrats on year one of many more to come.

  • Skagway Jack
    Skagway Jack Member Posts: 224 Member
    foxhd said:

    What the heck?

    Posing for a picture, in a johnny, before surgery?.. Who ever does that?.. With a smile!..If thats not the look of a winner, then what is?.. You've got this thing knocked. Looking great Sindy. Congrats on year one of many more to come.

    What Fox said!

    Couldnt agree more.  I wasnt thinking of pictures when I went in, but then I dont rock a paper gown like you SindyWink.

  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member

    What Fox said!

    Couldnt agree more.  I wasnt thinking of pictures when I went in, but then I dont rock a paper gown like you SindyWink.

    Paper gowns

    Fortunately no one is interested in a 70 year old man in a paper gown. For now we will let Sindy be the model.

     

    Icemantoo

  • twinthings
    twinthings Member Posts: 409
    Karen0074 said:

    You look fab

    Sindy, you look amazing and so calm in that pic. How were you feeling at that point? The anxiety for the wait to see a urologist is starting to get to me now only a week after getting CT results. 

    Thank's y'all!
    Karen, for me,

    Thank's y'all!

    Karen, for me, waiting on that first appointment with my urologist was the hardest part.  My ct called my tumor out as being renal cell carcinoma, so I knew before I saw the doctor.  Still, I needed to hear it from him.  And more importantly, I needed to know how soon he could get it out of me.  In the 2 weeks between my ct and dr appt I was a certifiable nut case!  After my appt, even after hearing the confirmation of cancer, suddenly I felt calmer.  Well, I may have let my crazy show briefly but for the most part, just having answers and a plan of action helped almost immediately.  I felt in that pic exactly how I looked, at peace.  I've had many, many surgeries and know the drill pretty well.  I wasn't worried.  I hope your wait isn't much longer.  And I hope you'll update us after your appt.  I will lift you in prayer, my friend : )

    sblairc, you HAVE to stay positive. It's so important, for both of you.  My hat is off to you and every other caretaker!  I'd much rather be on my end of the cancer stick, than yours. Bless you both!

    APny, I was all cried out by that point.  I remember crying my eyes out in the shower, before heading to the hospital tho.  It wasn't pretty.  But, once there, my room slowly filled with friends and family and we all posed for pics and prayed.  I was never afraid of the surgery itself, I knew I'd be in pain but that didn't bother me.  They make meds for that : ))   

    nsb748, few things are too big on my short stubby frame, so the gown fit fine.  Some people get a versed/demerol dose to relax them prior to surgery. I did not. There was an issue with my lab work so they wouldn't administer anything till the issue was resolved. By that time, I was headed to the OR.  

     

  • twinthings
    twinthings Member Posts: 409
    foxhd said:

    What the heck?

    Posing for a picture, in a johnny, before surgery?.. Who ever does that?.. With a smile!..If thats not the look of a winner, then what is?.. You've got this thing knocked. Looking great Sindy. Congrats on year one of many more to come.

    wth is a Johnny?

    wth is a johnny?  That's one I've never heard before!   For years now, my family has referred to me as the paparazzi.  I capture everything on camera.  I think more people than not, take hospital pics...you'd be surprised, fox.  What a shame you don't have a Johnny pic!!  I'll just have to use my imagination ; )

  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member

    wth is a Johnny?

    wth is a johnny?  That's one I've never heard before!   For years now, my family has referred to me as the paparazzi.  I capture everything on camera.  I think more people than not, take hospital pics...you'd be surprised, fox.  What a shame you don't have a Johnny pic!!  I'll just have to use my imagination ; )

    Thanx Iceman

    I don't think we are ready for you posing in any skivies. Paper or otherwise. Sindy, Johnny= hospital gown. Remember that my career is in health care with half of it in hospitals. Never saw anyone taking pictures. People don't generally look their best when in the hospital. You know what size hospital johnnies come in?

    One size fits nobody!

    How do you intend to use your imagination of me in a johnny? Opening in front or in back? Sorry to make you spit out your coffee.

  • twinthings
    twinthings Member Posts: 409
    foxhd said:

    Thanx Iceman

    I don't think we are ready for you posing in any skivies. Paper or otherwise. Sindy, Johnny= hospital gown. Remember that my career is in health care with half of it in hospitals. Never saw anyone taking pictures. People don't generally look their best when in the hospital. You know what size hospital johnnies come in?

    One size fits nobody!

    How do you intend to use your imagination of me in a johnny? Opening in front or in back? Sorry to make you spit out your coffee.

    front and back!!!

    Bahahahahaha!  I did damn near spit out my coffee, in fact, I'm still laughing.   You are a funny man, fox!!  I have a pretty wild imagination so...

    I think if you took a poll you'd find that more people than not, take hospital pics.  It's so easy with cell phones these days. 

  • angec
    angec Member Posts: 924 Member

    front and back!!!

    Bahahahahaha!  I did damn near spit out my coffee, in fact, I'm still laughing.   You are a funny man, fox!!  I have a pretty wild imagination so...

    I think if you took a poll you'd find that more people than not, take hospital pics.  It's so easy with cell phones these days. 

    You are correct, Sindy. I

    You are correct, Sindy. I also took a pic of mom right before she went in to have her kidney out.. She was 79 at the time.  I would post it here, but darn, but i have to find it!  She was smiling just like you were.. i guess glad to be getting rid of that thing!

     

    XX

  • twinthings
    twinthings Member Posts: 409
    angec said:

    You are correct, Sindy. I

    You are correct, Sindy. I also took a pic of mom right before she went in to have her kidney out.. She was 79 at the time.  I would post it here, but darn, but i have to find it!  She was smiling just like you were.. i guess glad to be getting rid of that thing!

     

    XX

    That's awesome, angec!  And

    That's awesome, angec!  And what a good sport your mom was for letting you take that pic.  If you find it, post it. 

    I tend to capture all of life's big moments, in pictures; not to mention the bajillion other moments I think are kodak worthy.  My friends and family don't call me the paparazzi for nothing!  I took at least a dozen pics with friends and family that day.  You will likely see me change my profile pic frequently throughout the month of May.  It will be my way each year to celebrate my victory over RCC. 

  • GSRon
    GSRon Member Posts: 1,303 Member

    That's awesome, angec!  And

    That's awesome, angec!  And what a good sport your mom was for letting you take that pic.  If you find it, post it. 

    I tend to capture all of life's big moments, in pictures; not to mention the bajillion other moments I think are kodak worthy.  My friends and family don't call me the paparazzi for nothing!  I took at least a dozen pics with friends and family that day.  You will likely see me change my profile pic frequently throughout the month of May.  It will be my way each year to celebrate my victory over RCC. 

    Hubba hubba...  Never saw

    Hubba hubba...  Never saw someone so hot in hospital garb before..! Tongue Out

    Ron

  • Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945

    That's awesome, angec!  And

    That's awesome, angec!  And what a good sport your mom was for letting you take that pic.  If you find it, post it. 

    I tend to capture all of life's big moments, in pictures; not to mention the bajillion other moments I think are kodak worthy.  My friends and family don't call me the paparazzi for nothing!  I took at least a dozen pics with friends and family that day.  You will likely see me change my profile pic frequently throughout the month of May.  It will be my way each year to celebrate my victory over RCC. 

    Haute Couture!

    Hey Twinnie, You look very fetching in your designer gown! It is hard to believe it is almost a year,how time flies, congratulations! and may you have reason to celebrate every year.

     I remember my op day like it was yesterday. I had to wash from head to foot in iodine, don my paper robe and matching Miss Muffet hat, then I was tucked up in bed. I was then wrapped up to my chin in gold aluminium foil, looking something akin to an oven ready chicken. If my husband had thought of snapping a photo of me at that point, he would have been following me into theatre pretty smartish, for major surgery!

     

    Djinnie x

  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    GSRon said:

    Hubba hubba...  Never saw

    Hubba hubba...  Never saw someone so hot in hospital garb before..! Tongue Out

    Ron

    You guys are right.

    I guess I stopped working in hospitals long before cell phone cameras. I forget that I am getting so experienced. (old).

  • Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Djinnie said:

    Haute Couture!

    Hey Twinnie, You look very fetching in your designer gown! It is hard to believe it is almost a year,how time flies, congratulations! and may you have reason to celebrate every year.

     I remember my op day like it was yesterday. I had to wash from head to foot in iodine, don my paper robe and matching Miss Muffet hat, then I was tucked up in bed. I was then wrapped up to my chin in gold aluminium foil, looking something akin to an oven ready chicken. If my husband had thought of snapping a photo of me at that point, he would have been following me into theatre pretty smartish, for major surgery!

     

    Djinnie x

    It is a great pic,Sindy! And

    It is a great pic,Sindy! And you look so confident and assured - like you were saying "Bam! Bring it on!" \You rock, girl! Congrats on your one year anniversary! Here's to many, many more.

    Hugs and smiles,

    Jojo

  • twinthings
    twinthings Member Posts: 409
    GSRon said:

    Hubba hubba...  Never saw

    Hubba hubba...  Never saw someone so hot in hospital garb before..! Tongue Out

    Ron

    ahhh schucks!

    Ahhh Schucks, Ron, you sure know how to make a girl blush!

    Djinnie, I can just see it now.  Your stories have a way of conjuring up the funniest mental images.  And I LOVE your accent!

    Thank you, Jojo!!

  • Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945

    ahhh schucks!

    Ahhh Schucks, Ron, you sure know how to make a girl blush!

    Djinnie, I can just see it now.  Your stories have a way of conjuring up the funniest mental images.  And I LOVE your accent!

    Thank you, Jojo!!

    Accent!

    That's funny Twinnie, I hope I don't speak with a plummy accent, ie. what they call the green welly brigade, those from country manors. 

    Djinnie x