Stinking lump

Options
Helen321
Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
edited April 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Had dental work and my gland has been swelling for a few weeks so I wrote is off as dental work related.  Now I have a hard lump on another part of my body.  Grumble grumble grumble.  Going on Thursday to have it checked.  Too tired for this and so done.  Cancer can kiss my grits.  Hoping it's just some normal problem.  I would say I won't worry until I get there but while I'm attempting to sleep, my brain is saying okay you do that, I have other plans.   Feel like a zombie at work today.   My son asked me the other day what super power I'd choose.   My super power would definitely be healing people, I'll have to fly or be invisible in my next life.

Comments

  • annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hope this is nothing, Helen.

    Those nodes can def swell for a number of non-cancer-related reasons, so with a little luck that's what it will be.  Maybe some kind of inflammatory response to the dental work?

    It sure sucks having to worry about every little thing, doesn't it?  I guess we will have these worries for the rest of our lives.  Cancer is the gift that keeps on giving. :/

  • Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

    Ugh, I hope this is nothing, Helen.

    Those nodes can def swell for a number of non-cancer-related reasons, so with a little luck that's what it will be.  Maybe some kind of inflammatory response to the dental work?

    It sure sucks having to worry about every little thing, doesn't it?  I guess we will have these worries for the rest of our lives.  Cancer is the gift that keeps on giving. :/

    Yeah I was okay with the neck

    Yeah I was okay with the neck swelling and thought eh dental work that makes sense but now with the lump on the other end I thought great, just great so now I have to go in.   I refuse to worry while I'm awake.  I don't want to use up a whole week of my life worrying and it turns out to be a virus of some sort.  I read that you can have viruses after major surgeries that cause lumps and take a while to show up so I'm hoping that's it.

  • Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options
    Helen321 said:

    Yeah I was okay with the neck

    Yeah I was okay with the neck swelling and thought eh dental work that makes sense but now with the lump on the other end I thought great, just great so now I have to go in.   I refuse to worry while I'm awake.  I don't want to use up a whole week of my life worrying and it turns out to be a virus of some sort.  I read that you can have viruses after major surgeries that cause lumps and take a while to show up so I'm hoping that's it.

    Its a virus. Its a virus. Its a virus. 

    Oh, how sorry I am to read your post. The worrying really never ends for us, does it. It doesn't matter if its a little twinge or a full blown lump, our minds jump to cancer. 

    The other week I was feeling really rotten. It was so frustrating wondering if it was cancer, or was I just getting a 'real' cold. 

    Roll on next week. Until then IT'S JUST A VIRUS. OK!

  • lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    Dear Helen,

    they could be caused by so many things. I hope nothing major. I don't care, but we cancer patients must be the toughest people on Earth. Despite all these terrible problems, we keep going on. Most of my healthy friends complain much more than anybody here.

    Laz

  • janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    lp1964 said:

    Dear Helen,

    they could be caused by so many things. I hope nothing major. I don't care, but we cancer patients must be the toughest people on Earth. Despite all these terrible problems, we keep going on. Most of my healthy friends complain much more than anybody here.

    Laz

    You are right Laz. I am

    You are right Laz. I am amazed about the things that people complain about or how so many people call in sick over what you and I would consider to be nothing. I dont wish cancer on ANYONE but sometimes I feel like telling people and there petty complaints that they should do one round of chemo. Then they will have something to complain about.

  • Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

    You are right Laz. I am

    You are right Laz. I am amazed about the things that people complain about or how so many people call in sick over what you and I would consider to be nothing. I dont wish cancer on ANYONE but sometimes I feel like telling people and there petty complaints that they should do one round of chemo. Then they will have something to complain about.

    I'm still trying to get over

    I'm still trying to get over that moment when I told my friend I had cancer and within 10 minutes she was talking about her trip to Jamaica.  Of course, before I had cancer, I had no idea either.  I felt for people who did but then my day would go on.  I'd leave the hospital bedside and get back to enjoying my day.  I think you have to go through it to truly understand it.  I've never wished to have a virus so much in my life!  lol  VIRUS! VIRUS! VIRUS!  By the size of it, I'm thinking a tumor would just not pop up that quickly and it has to be something else.  Tumors take time to grow and I think my swollen gland in my neck really is dental related.

  • Lisa2012
    Lisa2012 Member Posts: 142
    Options
    Helen321 said:

    I'm still trying to get over

    I'm still trying to get over that moment when I told my friend I had cancer and within 10 minutes she was talking about her trip to Jamaica.  Of course, before I had cancer, I had no idea either.  I felt for people who did but then my day would go on.  I'd leave the hospital bedside and get back to enjoying my day.  I think you have to go through it to truly understand it.  I've never wished to have a virus so much in my life!  lol  VIRUS! VIRUS! VIRUS!  By the size of it, I'm thinking a tumor would just not pop up that quickly and it has to be something else.  Tumors take time to grow and I think my swollen gland in my neck really is dental related.

    I had the same experience

    Helen, I think we have all been there.  Often times when you tell someone something as serious as, "I have cancer". I think maybe  they don't know how to handle it so changing the subject is the easiest thing.  At least that is what I hope because I don't like to think that people are so insensitive.  

    I agree with you, I think the lump is dental work related.  I have had that issue and then the lumps have gone down in 3-4 days.  Hope yours are nothing serious.

    lisa

  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Bummer

    It's frustrating to think that everything we feel is "what if."  It could be some type of infection.  Hopefully you will find out soon.  Do you have an appointment to get this checked out?  The waiting can be so hard.

    Kim

  • Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options
    Helen321 said:

    I'm still trying to get over

    I'm still trying to get over that moment when I told my friend I had cancer and within 10 minutes she was talking about her trip to Jamaica.  Of course, before I had cancer, I had no idea either.  I felt for people who did but then my day would go on.  I'd leave the hospital bedside and get back to enjoying my day.  I think you have to go through it to truly understand it.  I've never wished to have a virus so much in my life!  lol  VIRUS! VIRUS! VIRUS!  By the size of it, I'm thinking a tumor would just not pop up that quickly and it has to be something else.  Tumors take time to grow and I think my swollen gland in my neck really is dental related.

    When will you know what your mystery lumps are?

    And you're right, tumours are slow growing but fears are not. 

    Looking forward to hearing good news soon. 

  • Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

    Bummer

    It's frustrating to think that everything we feel is "what if."  It could be some type of infection.  Hopefully you will find out soon.  Do you have an appointment to get this checked out?  The waiting can be so hard.

    Kim

    Sorry I took so long to

    Sorry I took so long to respond. The lump was indeed an infection.  The doctor did some ridiculously painful poking and prodding but said it's nothing to worry about. It's still there but definitely shrinking. About half the size already. I talked to my Sloan therapist and basically he said cut it out you're just torturing yourself with every bump, lump and swelling. My next scan is July so I'm going to relax until then.

  • Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

    Bummer

    It's frustrating to think that everything we feel is "what if."  It could be some type of infection.  Hopefully you will find out soon.  Do you have an appointment to get this checked out?  The waiting can be so hard.

    Kim

    Thanks for checking on me to

    Thanks for checking on me to all of you.

  • jen2012
    jen2012 Member Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Helen321 said:

    Thanks for checking on me to

    Thanks for checking on me to all of you.

    That's great news!

    That's great news!

  • Chelsea71
    Chelsea71 Member Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Helen321 said:

    Sorry I took so long to

    Sorry I took so long to respond. The lump was indeed an infection.  The doctor did some ridiculously painful poking and prodding but said it's nothing to worry about. It's still there but definitely shrinking. About half the size already. I talked to my Sloan therapist and basically he said cut it out you're just torturing yourself with every bump, lump and swelling. My next scan is July so I'm going to relax until then.

    Good news!  You must be

    Good news!  You must be relieved.  I can completely relate to worrying about every lump, bump and medical problem.  Cancer really is the gift that keeps on giving......in so many different ways.  It's like a terrorist!

  • Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options
    Helen321 said:

    Sorry I took so long to

    Sorry I took so long to respond. The lump was indeed an infection.  The doctor did some ridiculously painful poking and prodding but said it's nothing to worry about. It's still there but definitely shrinking. About half the size already. I talked to my Sloan therapist and basically he said cut it out you're just torturing yourself with every bump, lump and swelling. My next scan is July so I'm going to relax until then.

    Bring on the Man

    image

    That's what I want to hear. Good news!

  • annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Options
    Helen321 said:

    Sorry I took so long to

    Sorry I took so long to respond. The lump was indeed an infection.  The doctor did some ridiculously painful poking and prodding but said it's nothing to worry about. It's still there but definitely shrinking. About half the size already. I talked to my Sloan therapist and basically he said cut it out you're just torturing yourself with every bump, lump and swelling. My next scan is July so I'm going to relax until then.

    Yay!

    Excellent news!

  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Great

    That is wonderful news.  Thanks for the update.

    Kim

  • Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Chelsea71 said:

    Good news!  You must be

    Good news!  You must be relieved.  I can completely relate to worrying about every lump, bump and medical problem.  Cancer really is the gift that keeps on giving......in so many different ways.  It's like a terrorist!

    lol The gift that keeps on

    lol The gift that keeps on giving.  What's the policy on returns and exchanges?  I'm so relieved and I'm ready to stop worrying at least until July.

  • Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Gracias all.  I'm going out

    Gracias all.  I'm going out tonight for a much needed night out with one of my best friends.

  • Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options
    Helen321 said:

    Gracias all.  I'm going out

    Gracias all.  I'm going out tonight for a much needed night out with one of my best friends.

    Grils night out

    image  Be good! Enoy! And report back. 

  • UncleBuddy
    UncleBuddy Member Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Helen321 said:

    Gracias all.  I'm going out

    Gracias all.  I'm going out tonight for a much needed night out with one of my best friends.

    Woohoo!!!!!

    I am so glad to hear it's nothing to worry about!!

    Lin