breast cancer in men

Options
holoholo
holoholo Member Posts: 1

hi everyone! i am a wife of a man who has breast cancer. He has stage 2 cancer and is scheduled for mastectomy next week. The doctors would like to take few of the muscles in the breast to make sure it hasn't spread and his doctor mentioned about removing some of his lymph nodes but we are not completely sure if that is what we want. We we're discussing about asking for a second opinion but don't know where or how to start. Is there anyone out there going through the same? Any suggestions on how we should proceed? My husband and I are optimistic about everything but it's not easy for me not to worry about him. We have been married only for a few years and the thought that i might loose him is something i'm not sure i can handle. Any help will be greatly appreaciated! Thank you. 

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Welcome,

I'm so sorry you and your husband are going through this, but am very glad you found us.  You won't find a more supportive group to walk with on this journey anywhere.

We do have at least one man with breast cancer here on this board, so I hope he'll see your post.  In the meantime, I may be able to shed a little bit of light on one point you made, about removing lymph nodes.

It's now fairly standard procedure during most kinds of breast cancer surgeries for the surgeon to perform what's called a sentinel node biopsy.  Before surgery, they inject a dye that then travels to the first lymph nodes that the breast drains into, called the "sentinel nodes."  During surgery, the surgeon then removes first only those nodes, usually only 2-4 nodes total, and is able to test them for cancer right then and there.  If they're clear, they may decide not to remove any more; if they're not, then they'll proceed with removing more.  

Sentinel node biopsy is a really great advancement, because it prevents the surgeon from having to do more surgery than is necessary -- they don't have to "guess" nearly as much as they used to.  The only frustration is that you don't know exactly how extensive the surgery will be until you're actually in surgery.

I don't know if this is what your surgeon is talking about in your husband's case, but you may want to ask if this is what they're planning, or if this is an option for him.

Hope that helps a little?

Traci

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    Welcome...sorry your family

Welcome...sorry your family is going through this..

Denise

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Welcome!  I am so sorry that

Welcome!  I am so sorry that you have had to find this site, but am happy to help in any way.  A breast cancer diagnosis is overwhelming, no matter the age, sex or race.  I was in shock for the first few years.  My best advice is to find an oncologist that you really trust and then follow the treatment plan as very best that you can.  You will have many decisions ahead of you and, at some point, you will have to trust that the experts know what they are doing.  Scary!!  Having said that, I still get second and third opinions from time to time.  I never feel like it is going to hurt to brainstorm.  And, if something a physician tells you doesn't sound right, seek another opinion.

Please let your husband know that he is not alone.  We do have men on the site from time to time (I wish we had more).  Our daughter's pediatrician's family is riddled with male breast cancer and he has taught me a lot. 

In the meantime, here are some links with some basics.  Hope some of this helps! 

You will have many questions.  Please come back any time!!  Hugs!!!

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancerinmen/detailedguide/breast-cancer-in-men-treating-by-stage

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/malebreast/Patient/page1

http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/types/male_bc/treatment

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Welcome!  I am so sorry that

Welcome!  I am so sorry that you have had to find this site, but am happy to help in any way.  A breast cancer diagnosis is overwhelming, no matter the age, sex or race.  I was in shock for the first few years.  My best advice is to find an oncologist that you really trust and then follow the treatment plan as very best that you can.  You will have many decisions ahead of you and, at some point, you will have to trust that the experts know what they are doing.  Scary!!  Having said that, I still get second and third opinions from time to time.  I never feel like it is going to hurt to brainstorm.  And, if something a physician tells you doesn't sound right, seek another opinion.

Please let your husband know that he is not alone.  We do have men on the site from time to time (I wish we had more).  Our daughter's pediatrician's family is riddled with male breast cancer and he has taught me a lot. 

In the meantime, here are some links with some basics.  Hope some of this helps! 

You will have many questions.  Please come back any time!!  Hugs!!!

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancerinmen/detailedguide/breast-cancer-in-men-treating-by-stage

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/malebreast/Patient/page1

http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/types/male_bc/treatment

Welcome to the site. I hope

Welcome to the site. I hope our Man with a Mission respinds and gives you a mans perspective. cynthia and traci have given you great advice. pelease report back with anyquestions, thoughts , feelings.

• mfoti610
    mfoti610 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm really sorry you and your

I'm really sorry you and your husband are going through this ordeal.  I'm new to the board, but as a male I am curious, are there common ways to do a self exam similar to how women perform self exams on themselves looking for lumps or bumps?