NEW BRA AFTER LUMPECTOMY

Options
mopar
mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member

Hi, Ladies:

Finished my radiation!  Started the Anostrozole about 2 weeks ago.  Noticing a few things, but just trying to grin and bear it till the so-called 5 or 6 month mark when everything is supposed to mellow out.

Right now, I'm having trouble with my bras.  Obviously, the one side does not fit the same as the other anymore.  Aside from the fact that I've been needing new bras anyway, I need to know what any of you have done to 'take up the slack' on the 'difficient' side.  It is somewhat noticeable under clothing, and also creates a lot of shifting and strap slippage, even if I tighten it.  So, I found a place in my area that specializes in these types of situations, and walked in, but they go by appointment only.  And quite honestly, I was not pleased with the two girls at the front desk.  They made me feel uncomfortable and weren't very helpful.

So, I'd be willing to get something on-line, or even locally if I just knew what to look for.  I'm familiar with any inserts, foam pads, etc., but want to be able to accommodate any bras I have, not just permanently in one.

Thanks for your help!  (((HUGS)))

Monika

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a lumpectomy,

I didn't have a lumpectomy, but I had one mastecomy with reconstruction using an abdominal flap and another, about 10 years after the first, using part of my rear.  Long story short, I ended up very uneven (B side and C side).  I didn't want another surgery, so I went To Dillard's and bought a set of 2 silicone breast enhancers, which are much less expensive than the individual breast forms that you find online.  I use one of the enhancers on the smaller side and I then have a spare.  :-) That takes care of the uneven problem.

My other problem is finding a supportive bra that is wireless.  I can't tolerate the wires with the bone mets and sports bras are too compressing.  I have some bras I bought in the past from Victoria's Secret and the fitter there really helped me out - once I explained my issues and made it crystal clear that there was no wired bra that she could sell me on...lol.  Lately, VS has changed to weird sizing where a previous A cup is now a B or a C.  I find it confusing as heck!  Sometime I will have to get out and search again...sigh.

I don't have a Nordstrom's, but my younger sister has found their bra department very helpful.

Good luck!!!

• sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Bought a fake boobie

after 4 yrs, still can't wear an underwire, hits right at the incision

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!

A appreciate the info, ladies.  I had a couple of VS bras that I wore till they fell apart.  Really liked them, but not so much anymore.  Before I was diagnosed I found a great website called 'Her Room'.  I sent for a couple and really liked them because I've been wanting the more 'long-line' type bras for a long time.  I am more comfortable with a much wider band.  Anyway, then I sent them back because I was diagnosed and wasn't sure what was going to happen.  I'm small, only a 34/36 A/B.  So, it shouldn't be too difficult to find something, right?  I must admit, I still like the underwear, mostly because I am smaller and it seems to give me more 'oomph'.  Oh well, I think everything has changed now.  I'll keep searching.

Prayers and (((HUGS))) to you all!

Monika

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I had two lumpectomies (same

I had two lumpectomies (same side) in three years..I JUST bought cheap slightly padded bras at Kmart/Walmart-I did the same with bathing suit-I DO NOT feel anyone can notaice other then me. I just dont' wear tight shirts or buy with layers (DRESS Barn is my choice for clothes shopping)

I am small breasted to start with (I gained a bit in past 5-6 yrs i though perhaps the tamoxfien-NOW off it of since Aug 2013)

Densie

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    mopar said:

THANK YOU!

A appreciate the info, ladies.  I had a couple of VS bras that I wore till they fell apart.  Really liked them, but not so much anymore.  Before I was diagnosed I found a great website called 'Her Room'.  I sent for a couple and really liked them because I've been wanting the more 'long-line' type bras for a long time.  I am more comfortable with a much wider band.  Anyway, then I sent them back because I was diagnosed and wasn't sure what was going to happen.  I'm small, only a 34/36 A/B.  So, it shouldn't be too difficult to find something, right?  I must admit, I still like the underwear, mostly because I am smaller and it seems to give me more 'oomph'.  Oh well, I think everything has changed now.  I'll keep searching.

Prayers and (((HUGS))) to you all!

Monika

If the underwire doesn't

If the underwire doesn't hurt, wear it!!!  I just have issues with pain there.  My advice is to just get in the dressing room and try some on.  The bra doesn't have to be expensive, just comfortable.  Good luck!

• Whitney
    Whitney Member Posts: 5
    Options
    HI, I had the same problem I

HI, I had the same problem I solved it by using the  modesty cups I had gotten with my genie bras.  NEVER HAD ANY USE FOR THEM UNTIL NOW.  SOLVED MY UNEVEN PROBLEM.  

HUGS, kathy