Managing radiation burning

CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member

A good article this month in Cure magaine:  http://www.curemagazine.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/article.show/id/2/article_id/2268

Here is an excerpt:

"MANAGEMENT > Radiation burns and skin irritation can interrupt treatment if not managed early and properly. Patients are advised to wear loose-fitting clothing, avoid fabrics that can cause itchiness and check with a healthcare provider before using lotions, perfumes or deodorants.

Gently washing the affected skin with lukewarm water and a mild soap is recommended as a practical step to prevent infection.

Creams: Calendula ointment and silver sulfadiazine cream are considered effective topical treatments. An herbal extract from the marigold plant, calendula has anti-inflammatory properties. A large, phase 3 study showed that topical calendula cream reduced pain, treatment interruptions and incidence of moderate skin reactions, such as severe redness and pain, during radiation therapy.

Silver sulfadiazine cream, an antibacterial agent, can be used for moist desquamation to reduce the risk of infection. Studies have also shown that, compared with no treatment at all, it helps to reduce the severity of radiation dermatitis.

Low-dose topical corticosteroids might help reduce irritation and itching, but they should be discontinued if moist desquamation occurs. Some studies have shown that they significantly reduce the severity of skin reactions, but no specific agent was shown to be superior.

In a small study of women receiving breast radiation, a commercially available barrier film reduced skin toxicities and itching. Hyaluronic acid is another topical cream that has shown some evidence of reducing the severity of skin reactions."

There is more about dressings and other helpful info, but I didn't want to copy the entire article.

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    ..bumping up

...bumping up

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    My significate burns did not

My significate burns did not show up til the morning after late rads.

I had great results with Aquaphor during rads.  What finally healed my extensive burns was Domoboro soaks.

Sulfadene/Silvadene is apparently a great med to go to IF you are not allergic to sulfa drug.  I am.  Thankfully, I never had infections to deal, just the entire irradiated area 'open and draining' for months.  I totally anihalated (sp) my HUGE tub of aloe during that time.

• mjjones453
    mjjones453 Member Posts: 155
    Radiation

I had very bad radiation burns! I remember (4 years now) using a cream prescribed by the Doctor before and after treatment.  When the burns got extremely bad, they gave me a pad, called mediplex pads. I wore them during the day under my clothing. When I came home from work the Doctor had me sit with by bra off under a fan! Not comfortable at all! I really think the pads saved me from stopping radiation.

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member

Radiation

I had very bad radiation burns! I remember (4 years now) using a cream prescribed by the Doctor before and after treatment.  When the burns got extremely bad, they gave me a pad, called mediplex pads. I wore them during the day under my clothing. When I came home from work the Doctor had me sit with by bra off under a fan! Not comfortable at all! I really think the pads saved me from stopping radiation.

Mediplex - for me  -

Mediplex - for me  - worthless!  Too much fluid flowing for them to stay on more than 5 minutes.

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I am happy to say almost 6

I am happy to say almost 6 yrs out from my last radiation-but I never has any burns, chapping, pain, fatiuge ODDLY...i got a very light box tan on my chest. 

Thanks for the info...hopefully i'll never need it..but i'll keep in mind, as well as share with others who may benifit from it.

Denise