Bleeding Questions/Don't know what to think

Options
MeMeJoy
MeMeJoy Member Posts: 70
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could give me a little insight. I have been a member of CSN for quite a while now, just over on the kidney cancer board, so I know how helpful this place is! :)

I am 33 yrs old and last year I had my left kidney removed due to a 10cm tumor that was initially thought to be renal cell carcinoma. Luckily it was actually a rare mixed epilthelial and stromal tumor and was benign.

Why I'm here - This may be a little too much info but... here it goes...Last night while in the shower I noticed blood coming from my left breast - I *think* from a montgomery gland. It seemed like quite a bit but that may have been due to the fact that I was in the shower and the water could have been making it seem worse. When I got out it was still bleeding a little, enough to be noticeable, but then stopped. Today that breast is quite sore. I know I  didn't injure myself or bump anything. I plan to call my GP Monday, but .... I have never expereienced anything like this before and am a little freaked out.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Welcome and there is almost

Welcome and there is almost no such thing as TMI here.  A spontaneous bloody nipple would freak me out too!

After having one cancer, we all need to be super vigilant and, of course, you should have this checked out and maybe even get a baseline mammogram or other testing.

Here is a good link for you about nipple discharge (a discharge is defined as fluid that sponaneously appears from the breast).  The good news is ithat there is a good chance it may be unrelated to cancer (but read entire article because it can also be a malignancy):

"Intraductal Papilloma:
    Intraductal papilloma is a benign (non cancerous) growth within the breast ducts. The presence of multiple papillomas is referred to as papillomatosis. This is the most common cause of nipple discharge. Papillomas usually affect women from 35- 50 years of age. The discharge fluid could be serous or bloody. The papilloma usually involves a single duct and is present in one breast. Although not considered a true precursor of cancer, women with papillomas may be at a slightly higher lifetime risk for carcinoma (5%). This is due to the possibility of the coexistence of other proliferative lesions."  http://www.bccmiami.com/articles/nipple_discharge.cfm

But please, please do not blow this off.  With your history, you have to have it checked out asap.

Hugs!!!!

• MeMeJoy
    MeMeJoy Member Posts: 70
    Options

Welcome and there is almost

Welcome and there is almost no such thing as TMI here.  A spontaneous bloody nipple would freak me out too!

After having one cancer, we all need to be super vigilant and, of course, you should have this checked out and maybe even get a baseline mammogram or other testing.

Here is a good link for you about nipple discharge (a discharge is defined as fluid that sponaneously appears from the breast).  The good news is ithat there is a good chance it may be unrelated to cancer (but read entire article because it can also be a malignancy):

"Intraductal Papilloma:
    Intraductal papilloma is a benign (non cancerous) growth within the breast ducts. The presence of multiple papillomas is referred to as papillomatosis. This is the most common cause of nipple discharge. Papillomas usually affect women from 35- 50 years of age. The discharge fluid could be serous or bloody. The papilloma usually involves a single duct and is present in one breast. Although not considered a true precursor of cancer, women with papillomas may be at a slightly higher lifetime risk for carcinoma (5%). This is due to the possibility of the coexistence of other proliferative lesions."  http://www.bccmiami.com/articles/nipple_discharge.cfm

But please, please do not blow this off.  With your history, you have to have it checked out asap.

Hugs!!!!

Thank you!

Thank you so much! That really is a good article. I didn't actually have RCC (kidney cancer) they thought it was, but the pathology came back as MEST which is a rare benign tumor that is generally associated with perimenopausal (sp?) women or women on estrogen therapy - which I am not on, have never even taken birth control for more than a combined total of maybe 12 months - I never liked the way it made me feel.

After looking over that article and others, I think my situation fits the papilloma profile. But no worries, I don't plan on blowing it off! I have read a few other stories where women had similar experiences that started similarly and ended up being a lot more than nothing.

Thankfully, today the bleeding has been only a pin drop! Any more and I probably would have been freaked out even more! lol

I've never had cancer, but was told, and thought, I did for several months - was even told that due to the size, location, and family history, the outlook was not good. I admire everyone here  for thier courage and willingness to share thier stories and advice. You are all amazing!

Do you think there is anything specific I need to speak with my doctor about to make sure that he doesn't blow this off? I know often times dr.s like to take the whole "wait and see" approach but after everything with my kidneys I really don't feel comfortable waiting on anything lol I lost my left kidney - I don't need to lose anything on the right side to balance it out lol

Thanks again!

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    MeMeJoy said:

Thank you!

Thank you so much! That really is a good article. I didn't actually have RCC (kidney cancer) they thought it was, but the pathology came back as MEST which is a rare benign tumor that is generally associated with perimenopausal (sp?) women or women on estrogen therapy - which I am not on, have never even taken birth control for more than a combined total of maybe 12 months - I never liked the way it made me feel.

After looking over that article and others, I think my situation fits the papilloma profile. But no worries, I don't plan on blowing it off! I have read a few other stories where women had similar experiences that started similarly and ended up being a lot more than nothing.

Thankfully, today the bleeding has been only a pin drop! Any more and I probably would have been freaked out even more! lol

I've never had cancer, but was told, and thought, I did for several months - was even told that due to the size, location, and family history, the outlook was not good. I admire everyone here  for thier courage and willingness to share thier stories and advice. You are all amazing!

Do you think there is anything specific I need to speak with my doctor about to make sure that he doesn't blow this off? I know often times dr.s like to take the whole "wait and see" approach but after everything with my kidneys I really don't feel comfortable waiting on anything lol I lost my left kidney - I don't need to lose anything on the right side to balance it out lol

Thanks again!

I wouldn't think a physician

I wouldn't think a physician would wait and see about spontaneous nipple bleeding because it can be a symptom of cancer (even though in most cases it can be benign).  Just describe what you described so very well here.   Maybe your doc can recommend a breast surgeon, if you have access to one in your area.  They should know the specific tests that you need and should be able to figure it out, if your primary doesn't.

Cancer is nothing to wait on.  I was 33 when I was first diagnosed (1987).  I never want to scare anyone, but I felt a lump and I knew in my gut that my lump was not normal (no borders, not a cyst, a painless thickening).  Most lumps are not cancerous and my gyn thought it was nothing but decided to order a mammogram at the last minute as I was literally leaving her office.  The mammogram showed intraductal cancer (Stage 3).  My story is incredible because I am now 61 and still fighting cancer, but doing fairly well.

My point is not to scare you to death, but to make sure you get it thoroughly checked out so out don't have to worry about it! Don't let anyone make you wait and see if you are concerned.

Reading more about papillomas, it looks like mammogram is not helpful in diagnosis, but ultrasound, a path report on the discharge and/or a ductogram may help.    Here is another article: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001238.htm 

Praying this is a papilloma.  Please keep us in the loop and good luck!  (((Hugs))))

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

I wouldn't think a physician

I wouldn't think a physician would wait and see about spontaneous nipple bleeding because it can be a symptom of cancer (even though in most cases it can be benign).  Just describe what you described so very well here.   Maybe your doc can recommend a breast surgeon, if you have access to one in your area.  They should know the specific tests that you need and should be able to figure it out, if your primary doesn't.

Cancer is nothing to wait on.  I was 33 when I was first diagnosed (1987).  I never want to scare anyone, but I felt a lump and I knew in my gut that my lump was not normal (no borders, not a cyst, a painless thickening).  Most lumps are not cancerous and my gyn thought it was nothing but decided to order a mammogram at the last minute as I was literally leaving her office.  The mammogram showed intraductal cancer (Stage 3).  My story is incredible because I am now 61 and still fighting cancer, but doing fairly well.

My point is not to scare you to death, but to make sure you get it thoroughly checked out so out don't have to worry about it! Don't let anyone make you wait and see if you are concerned.

Reading more about papillomas, it looks like mammogram is not helpful in diagnosis, but ultrasound, a path report on the discharge and/or a ductogram may help.    Here is another article: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001238.htm 

Praying this is a papilloma.  Please keep us in the loop and good luck!  (((Hugs))))

MeMeJoy --

Just thinking of you .. hoping all is well --  Any updates, dear Sister?

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam