Post-chemo insomnia

wholfmeister
wholfmeister Member Posts: 315

Just wondering...why do you suppose I got assigned to the "new" nurse today?  I like all the regular nurses...I didn't want a new nurse.  Why me?

Because I am a nurse myself? That intimidates some nurses; it causes other nurses to be extra kind, like we are kindred spirits.

Maybe because I try to be a really nice person.  I try to not be demanding or complaining and I try to express thanks often for all the great care I receive.  Maybe they wanted me to boost this newie's confidence.

Maybe because I'm a hard stick.  Maybe I was a test to see how this new nurse would do.  I can't remember the last time it took fewer than two or three or more sticks to get the IV started.

Until today! One stick!  It took her forever to pick a spot, and she had to fuss with it a bit to be sure it was going to maintain, but ONE STICK!!  Yeah!  And she thoroughly went over everything, which we really liked.  I'm an old timer at chemo, but it was nice to have everything refreshed in my mind again.  She had a few new ideas to manage the burning go the Gemzar.

I am really happy I got assigned to the new nurse!  Great addition to the team!  (And yes, I told her that when we were done!)

Comments

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    Hey Merrily. I have insomnia too.

Kudos to the new nurse!

It reminded me of an old joke about the nurse and the difference between an HMO and Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

• wholfmeister
    wholfmeister Member Posts: 315
    Alexandra said:

Hey Merrily. I have insomnia too.

Kudos to the new nurse!

It reminded me of an old joke about the nurse and the difference between an HMO and Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

Haha!

I haven't heard that joke! Do tell!

• scatsm
    scatsm Member Posts: 296 Member

Haha!

I haven't heard that joke! Do tell!

Merrily, you really do have insomnia!

Do you take lorazepam or ambien ever? I did first chemo and will again....

love the nurse story...I'll remember not to judge too quickly in the future when there's a change!

why no port?

susan