Still having pain 12 weeks post treatment for base tongue cancer.

Options
AJG
AJG Member Posts: 29

My father is still having  quite a bit of pain in the back of his tongue where he was radiated. Is that common 12 weeks out. Shouldn't the pain go away by now?!

Comments

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Possibly...

There isn't really anything common... Each of us being different, tolerances, what each of us consider as for pain or discomfort.

Is he feeling pain all of the time, when he eats or drinks, etc....?

Radiation is a bear, it tears us up pretty good, so he could be still healing, but not sure. The best answer is to have him see his ENT or Rads MD for a check out. One of those two should be able to confirm if it's just still the healing process, or something else causing him pain.

Anyways, hope he starts feeling some relief soon...

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    tongue

AJG,

I agree with Skiffin’s take on tongue pain.  12 weeks is still pretty fresh, but I would expect it to be much better.  At 12 weeks he is due for a check-up (usually) with your whole team, they should be able to answer your questions.

At 2 years post, my tongue does not hurt, but it does feel funky, I guess that is the new normal.

Good luck and congratulations on finishing up in one piece.

Matt

• Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    agree it is subjective

But talk to the doctor.  Theer are all kinds of help for the pain and he doesn't have to just wait it out.  Could be the swich and swallow that has a numbing effect might help as well as other types of pain relief.

Talk to your medical staff and get some help.

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options

agree it is subjective

But talk to the doctor.  Theer are all kinds of help for the pain and he doesn't have to just wait it out.  Could be the swich and swallow that has a numbing effect might help as well as other types of pain relief.

Talk to your medical staff and get some help.

Pain

Has there been continual slow improvement or no improvement? Definitely suggest sharing with the doctor. No need to be in pain. 

• Steve5
    Steve5 Member Posts: 147
    Options
    Couid it be an infection

I had an infection that was still cuaing me paing when I ate and drank, my latest visit to the rad/onco two weeks ago told me that it was an infected spot and not to eat anything abrasive going down, like chips and such - so I stopped the rough stuff, don't need chips anyway, and it went away - infections are a common side effect from head and neck cancer, so just on possibility  - even coffee hurt early on but now it does not after I stopped the scratchy stuff going down.  Another guy I met at our treatment site had the exact same effect as I did so we felt good that it at least was not a spot that was taking so much time to heal up due to the radiation treatment site the last week of treatment where they narrowed the beam.

Steve

• KB56
    KB56 Member Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Pain

AJG, my tongue and throat still hurt 5 months from my last radiation treatment.   Then once it started getting better it started feeling better fast.   I'm 9-10 month post treatment today and I can still eat some foods (seasoning on steaks seem to be the worst) that can still cause sensitivity.  

He's probably getting closer!

Keith

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    AJG

They told me I would be healing for a good year. But truthfully I still felt changes two years out. Write all your questions down so when you visit any one of your Fathers team you can ask. Twelve weeks out is not a long time when considering the healing process with radiation but it never hurts to ask the Doc. The best way to discribe the healing process is you never notice a change day by day you tend to notice  a difference week by week and month by month.

Jeff