Constipation

Hi - I could really use some help.  My dear mother was diagnosed with stage IiiB ovarian cancer in late September.  She is currently on paclitaxel/carboplatin and is struggling with bad constipation every day.  She is using laxatives almost daily.  Does anyone have ideas on how to counteract the affects of the chemo and relieve the constipation.   Thanks to you all for your wonderful support.

Comments

• lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member
    Hi

I'm so sorry that your mother is battling this beast.  I had the same chemo drugs and also experienced constipation as a side effect.  To counteract it, I started taking miralax about two or so days before my next session (my chemo was every three weeks) and took it for three or so days after my chemo day.  Although I didn't have much appetite, I also did my best to eat high fiber foods, such as apples, and tried to drink a lot of liquids (which wasn't easy), like water and juices.  Is your mom up to prunes or prune juice?  There were days when the fatigue was overwhelming but I still tried to move around to keep the bowels "moving".  Some days all I could manage was a "stroll" through the house or in the backyard but I think that still helped with the constipation. 

Sending lots of prayers your mom's way and your way too!

Kelly

• wholfmeister
    wholfmeister Member Posts: 315
    Miralax

I agree with everything Lovesanimals wrote.

miralx is my chemo friend!  I start it on Wednesday before my Friday chemo, and keep thanking it until a week after.  Haha! I do buy the extra large jug!

l don't mean to sound crude, but you have to eat in order to poop. Anything you can do to improve intake will help with the output.  Smoothies, soups, frequent small snacks and meals.  Eat with her. Take her out to a little cafe...change of scenery...even if she only orders a side dish of cottage cheese.

your mom is so lucky to have you!

• Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    constipation

I suffer more with constipation after chemo than any other symptom. My ONC gives large doses of zofran to combat nausea along with the chemo and that is a real problem for me. I do the miralax, but also take colasce. One colasce in the AM and two at night for a few days after chemo should help some. You need to make sure she's drinking lots of liquids. Best of luck with this for it's terribly painful.

(((((HUGS)))))    Maria

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member

Hi

I'm so sorry that your mother is battling this beast.  I had the same chemo drugs and also experienced constipation as a side effect.  To counteract it, I started taking miralax about two or so days before my next session (my chemo was every three weeks) and took it for three or so days after my chemo day.  Although I didn't have much appetite, I also did my best to eat high fiber foods, such as apples, and tried to drink a lot of liquids (which wasn't easy), like water and juices.  Is your mom up to prunes or prune juice?  There were days when the fatigue was overwhelming but I still tried to move around to keep the bowels "moving".  Some days all I could manage was a "stroll" through the house or in the backyard but I think that still helped with the constipation. 

Sending lots of prayers your mom's way and your way too!

Kelly

I figured out the Miralax

I figured out the Miralax routine Kelly mentioned as well!  I hated the thought of having constipation after abdominal surgery.

• ovarian_support
    ovarian_support Member Posts: 44
    Senna Tea

My mother uses Senna Tea or Smooth Move, she drinks a cup the morning after chemo and for the next 2 or 3 days.  Also, she takes colace at night and eats prunes.  It really helped.

• ndmp
    ndmp Member Posts: 36
    Constipatin

Mary,

I just saw your post about constipation,  I don't usually go on this board as my dad had esophegal cancer I occasionaly check because you lovley ladies are a true inspiration.  My dad struggled with constipation on his journey.  We tried so many different O.T.C. remidies but the one that worked the most was Lacy LeBough Tea.  You can find it at GNC type stores or through Puritians Pride. He would take it in the evening and by morning things seemed to work themselves out.  My best to your friend on this journey.

Nicole

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    Constipation

Back in the Old Country my grandparents were taking 1 tablespoon of this "kaka jam" daily for years to stay regular: equal parts of prunes, dry apricots, dry figs, honey and 100 gram Senna leaf all well blended together and refrigerated. Honey hides Senna's bitterness. I remember that it tasted good.

After surgery I was taking probiotics (Renew Life Ultimate Flora Critical Care 50 billion). And a handful of prunes a day.

Recently I tried 2 pills Dulcolux 5 mg - it did the job, but the pain and cramps were almost unbearable. Won't be taking it again.

Limit white foods: white bread, pasta, rice, bananas, etc.