To tube or not to tube....

Options

Comments

• PJ47
    PJ47 Member Posts: 376
    Options
    Guzzle said:

Beer

Keith red wine will be a sad loss. But having a beer watching Liverpool FC is something to look forward to! How long before any of you good people took a flight/vacation post Rt?

And Rick you will be safe from divorce. More red for the missus! 

alcohol and travel after rads

Can now tolerate 3+ mos following rads some white wines that are mellow and not spicy.  Only drink a glass on special occasions.  

Plane  to Montana 6 weeks following rads.  Couldn't wait to travel and see family.  Had cabin fever due to having to stay near home for 3+ months.

PJ

• Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710
    Options
    donfoo said:

whatever.......

Ditto - Savor everything you like to eat and drink before rads. Eat without abandon. Any weight you might gain now will certainly come back off during rads. Everyone returns with some change in tastes post tx. So double lock all your favorite favors away now. :-)

one tonsil

Wonder why the surgeon didn't take both tonsils? Any ideas?

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Guzzle said:

one tonsil

Are You Sure...

Are you sure they didn't take both...?

I was certain that they only took one of mine also...from looking inside my mouth.

But my GP, and then later my ENT both confirmed both tonsils were removed... It was just the affected tonsil area had a bit more tissue removed and I could see the difference.

John

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    Options
    Guzzle said:

one tonsil

tonsils

A tonsilectomy is rough for an adult.  Much easier for kids.  I asked why they didn't take both of mine, and the doctor said that there is swelling, and taking bot could be enough to block your breathing.  I still have my left - no problems with it - other problems, but not with the tonsil.

• KB56
    KB56 Member Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Guzzle said:

one tonsil

Tonsils

they only took my right as well.  

• Guzzle
    Options
    KB56 said:

Tonsils

they only took my right as well.  

tonsil

Definately only one there! Surprised me but intruth pain not to bad. Did try a chilli last night which was just foolish! A few weeks before Ill try a curry!

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Guzzle

I had a tube (through the nose) after sugery and they removed it a month before I started radiation. They told me I may need the tube if I didn't keep myself nourished and hydrated. I lost 92 pounds and looked like a prisoner of war and they threatened to put one in but I got by with smoothies and ensure. I  bought one of those blenders that  heats the mixture up which was great for healthy soup. Many play it by ear,if it seems you need the tube they will grab ya by the ear and march you into the room and place one in.

Jeff

• Guzzle
    Options
    Duggie88 said:

Guzzle

I had a tube (through the nose) after sugery and they removed it a month before I started radiation. They told me I may need the tube if I didn't keep myself nourished and hydrated. I lost 92 pounds and looked like a prisoner of war and they threatened to put one in but I got by with smoothies and ensure. I  bought one of those blenders that  heats the mixture up which was great for healthy soup. Many play it by ear,if it seems you need the tube they will grab ya by the ear and march you into the room and place one in.

Jeff

tube

In UK if someone is called a tube it means they are an idiot. Which I am. So I could do without a tube. But if needs must....Made up for your good news. I will try and bulk up a bit before starting RT. Have actually traced a few people who have only had minor problems. They seem to be a rarity. Maybe they grew up in Springfield! A guy called Theo has created a blog entitled the radioactive man which is very amusing. Some creative uses for the rad mask. How hard did you find it getting protein drinks etc down?

• KB56
    KB56 Member Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Guzzle said:

tube

In UK if someone is called a tube it means they are an idiot. Which I am. So I could do without a tube. But if needs must....Made up for your good news. I will try and bulk up a bit before starting RT. Have actually traced a few people who have only had minor problems. They seem to be a rarity. Maybe they grew up in Springfield! A guy called Theo has created a blog entitled the radioactive man which is very amusing. Some creative uses for the rad mask. How hard did you find it getting protein drinks etc down?

If the tube fits.....

guzzle, try it without one and see how you do.  I needed one but I may have been a wimp,   I was glad to have but others have no issue.    I will be amazed if you gain weiggt after the tonsillectomy as I lost 12 pounds from that and ENT sais the average was 10 pounds.  You may have to slip in some of that local beer for some exra calories.  

I'm going to have to check out Radioactive Man. 

Keith

• sunshine_65
    sunshine_65 Member Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    KB56 said:

If the tube fits.....

guzzle, try it without one and see how you do.  I needed one but I may have been a wimp,   I was glad to have but others have no issue.    I will be amazed if you gain weiggt after the tonsillectomy as I lost 12 pounds from that and ENT sais the average was 10 pounds.  You may have to slip in some of that local beer for some exra calories.  

I'm going to have to check out Radioactive Man. 

Keith

Tubes, swallowing & other stuff

Haven't been on "our" website for awhile--but I wanted to weigh in on this debate. I was absolutely determined not to have a tube put in - I was afraid of losing my ability to swallow and so did swallowing exercises throughout radiation & chemo (erbitux) 8-weeks treatment. Had serious eating troubles, but I always felt that keeping up swallowing (sometimes by throwing down lidocaine first) was pre-emptive in terms of keeping the swallowing function going. I actually had worse issues eating after treatment ended--but got through it with ensure, cheesecake, ice cream and sorbet, creamy soups, and so on. There's a good list of foods and hints by Sweetbread on this site. But, as others have said, if you need a tube, go for it--you have to do what's best and all of us have followed different paths.

As for beer and wine, it might be interesting to hear that I have found - like others have mentioned - that red wine is difficult (dry mouth continues to be a serious problem even after 2 years out) except for biodynamic wine - for some reason, it seems "mellow" as someone else on this thread mentioned. 

I agree with what everyone else has said: stay hydrated (force yourself) as it makes chills, sweats, and other stuff easier to deal with, and do eat everything that appeals to you. For me, chocolate was the last "taste" to return- and even now and then I lose my taste buds completely - sometimes in the middle of cup of coffee. 

I got through the tough periods by thinking of eating and hydrating as my "job" - my only job. It got me through with flying colors.

• Viilik70
    Viilik70 Member Posts: 73
    Options
    PEG or NOT

Well I've had a PEG a couple different times and they are no fun, but I have to agree with my Dr that if you are getting the proper nutrition you need through the tube you will heal much quicker and get back to eating normal a lot sooner. That is why I did it. No tube now and enjoying it...

• Guzzle
    Options

Tubes, swallowing & other stuff

Haven't been on "our" website for awhile--but I wanted to weigh in on this debate. I was absolutely determined not to have a tube put in - I was afraid of losing my ability to swallow and so did swallowing exercises throughout radiation & chemo (erbitux) 8-weeks treatment. Had serious eating troubles, but I always felt that keeping up swallowing (sometimes by throwing down lidocaine first) was pre-emptive in terms of keeping the swallowing function going. I actually had worse issues eating after treatment ended--but got through it with ensure, cheesecake, ice cream and sorbet, creamy soups, and so on. There's a good list of foods and hints by Sweetbread on this site. But, as others have said, if you need a tube, go for it--you have to do what's best and all of us have followed different paths.

As for beer and wine, it might be interesting to hear that I have found - like others have mentioned - that red wine is difficult (dry mouth continues to be a serious problem even after 2 years out) except for biodynamic wine - for some reason, it seems "mellow" as someone else on this thread mentioned. 

I agree with what everyone else has said: stay hydrated (force yourself) as it makes chills, sweats, and other stuff easier to deal with, and do eat everything that appeals to you. For me, chocolate was the last "taste" to return- and even now and then I lose my taste buds completely - sometimes in the middle of cup of coffee. 

I got through the tough periods by thinking of eating and hydrating as my "job" - my only job. It got me through with flying colors.

many thanks

Just had staples out and 4 mile yomp home along canal. Previously had lunch by seaside with Mrs. Again seems difficult to believe I am unwell! THANKS! It is the Aintree Grand National here in Liverpool this weekend. Biggest UK horse race. I don't usually gamble but will pick a horse for this. It is known for outsiders to win so may be worth a puny. I reckon we are all due a little luck! I literally pick a name that amus

es me as I know nothing about horses. Good luck if you fancy it.

• Time Bandit
    Time Bandit Member Posts: 23
    Options
    I had the feeding tube

I had the feeding tube inserted before the treatment started as a backup. It was well worth it. There came a time that the swallowing of food was just too painful and all that I wanted was liquids which turned out to be water or ice tea. Bulking up to start won't last. I lost 50 pounds by the end of my treatment and I don't think bulking up that much would be possible. Go for it. I found it fun to make fun of it asking prople if they wanted to see what I had for breakfast, lunch, etc.

• Guzzle
    Options

I had the feeding tube

I had the feeding tube inserted before the treatment started as a backup. It was well worth it. There came a time that the swallowing of food was just too painful and all that I wanted was liquids which turned out to be water or ice tea. Bulking up to start won't last. I lost 50 pounds by the end of my treatment and I don't think bulking up that much would be possible. Go for it. I found it fun to make fun of it asking prople if they wanted to see what I had for breakfast, lunch, etc.

Hey team got results. 3 localizednides positive. 6 weeks radiotheraphy with a blast of chemo at beginning middle and end. Next week dentist / mask. Oh joy!

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    Guzzle said:

Hey team got results. 3 localizednides positive. 6 weeks radiotheraphy with a blast of chemo at beginning middle and end. Next week dentist / mask. Oh joy!

damn, guzzle, i was hoping no

damn, guzzle, i was hoping no nodes would be involved.  but at least finding out is done and now the plan can be put into action.  i'm sorry the nodes were positive but the tx will get it all and you will come thru this like the rest of us did.  praying for a smooth ride thru tx.  keep us posted on how you do.  we will be here for you.  we're on the sidelines cheering you on, listen hard and you'll hear us.  for now, heres a cyber hug ((((((((( 0 )))))))))). 

God bless you,

dj

• Guzzle
    Options

damn, guzzle, i was hoping no

damn, guzzle, i was hoping no nodes would be involved.  but at least finding out is done and now the plan can be put into action.  i'm sorry the nodes were positive but the tx will get it all and you will come thru this like the rest of us did.  praying for a smooth ride thru tx.  keep us posted on how you do.  we will be here for you.  we're on the sidelines cheering you on, listen hard and you'll hear us.  for now, heres a cyber hug ((((((((( 0 )))))))))). 

God bless you,

dj

thanks

Cheers dj. Oncologist seems very positive and is going for curative approach. Everything crossed! Just got a bit of a battle to get through but ive seen what some of you good people have achieved.

• denistd
    denistd Member Posts: 597
    Options
    Guzzle said:

thanks

Cheers dj. Oncologist seems very positive and is going for curative approach. Everything crossed! Just got a bit of a battle to get through but ive seen what some of you good people have achieved.

UK

Hi Mark, really enjoying your banter on this site, brings back a lot of great memories. I had totally forgotten about the Grand National, always put a pound or two on that one, and always hoping that the horse I picked would not stumble on the jumps. I watch the premier league on TV every weekend, we get two matches, live, a day here, used to be a big West Ham fan in the Bobby Moore's day. Know Liverpool well. You are going to be fine, the treatment is rough but, if you look after yourself during it it's not so rough. I had no mouth sores, no burned neck, me and my wife would go to the Hospital cafe every day after rads and have a danish and coffee. never threw up or felt like throwing up. It's important to do as your doctors tell you. Is Wayne Rooney worth that much? Denis

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    as they say - listen to your docs

My surgeon seems against it

All mine were against getting one early. I got through without one. No fun but I did NOT want a tube stuck in me just because I MIGHT need it. Plenty of time to PEG up if you get to that point.

• Guzzle
    Options
    donfoo said:

as they say - listen to your docs

My surgeon seems against it

All mine were against getting one early. I got through without one. No fun but I did NOT want a tube stuck in me just because I MIGHT need it. Plenty of time to PEG up if you get to that point.

wayne rooney

thanks don..... And Denis NO Wayne Rooney is most definitely not worth all that money!

• Guzzle
    Options
    Guzzle said:

wayne rooney

thanks don..... And Denis NO Wayne Rooney is most definitely not worth all that money!

RUN!

Ran 3.5 miles. Appreciated every step and every breath. Thought of all you good people in the US.