Fluoride Trays left in too long

Options
Steve5
Steve5 Member Posts: 147

Accidentally left the fluoride trays in for 45 minutes tonight, also I boiled them to clean them, shrunk a little but they still fit well over my teeth, I am more concerned that I left them in one time for 45 minutes instead of just 10 minutes, anyone have any experience with this, I am wondering about the toxic affects of the fluoride, will ask my dentist on Monday but wanted to see if anyone has experience with this or has done this before.

Thanks

Steve

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    oh no

Steve,

I guess you won’t need to wear them for 4 days.  Other than irritation it most likely will not hurt.  One of your fellow H&N brothers developed canker sores from too much fluoride treatment.

Stay safe, don’t drink and fluoride.

Matt

• Steve5
    Steve5 Member Posts: 147
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

oh no

Steve,

I guess you won’t need to wear them for 4 days.  Other than irritation it most likely will not hurt.  One of your fellow H&N brothers developed canker sores from too much fluoride treatment.

Stay safe, don’t drink and fluoride.

Matt

Thanks Matt

I guess I just got a little worried at the moment, my lovely wife mentioned how it can  be toxic and I shouldn't deviate from the protocol of 10 minutes - thanks again for both the humor and the serious side.  On the lighter side, now that hotdogs taste so good I am eating more salads to eat healthier - have a great day

Steve

• jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Wow Steve, I have to agree

Wow Steve, I have to agree with wife. I heard it is toxic too. That is why you must get a prescription for stronger formulas. Did you check google for info. Glad you have dental appointment tomorrow.

Debbie

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    jim and i said:

Wow Steve, I have to agree

Wow Steve, I have to agree with wife. I heard it is toxic too. That is why you must get a prescription for stronger formulas. Did you check google for info. Glad you have dental appointment tomorrow.

Debbie

Duration

Funny how we all get different opinions about how long to keep the trays in.  My Oral Surgeon told me to keep it in my mouth for 5 minutes.  I asked why that particular time frame and was told that after 5 minutes it has done all it's supposed to do.  Leaving it in for longer accomplishes no benefits.  No one told me it was toxic.  I did ask about how many times I spit out the flouride, because I do spit it out about 10 times.  He said no harm will come of it if I swallow some.  He just kind of laughed when I said how many times I spit it out.  It seems my one and only working saliva gland goes nuts producing saliva to get rid of the flouride.  Leaving it in for 45 minutes should cause no harm.  It will probably stain your teeth a lot more.  That is the main complaint I get from my dental hygenist.  Oh well, she gets paid to clean my stained teeth.

No worries Mate!

Tom

• cureitall66
    cureitall66 Member Posts: 913
    Options
    Not likely....

I don't think it's likely to be that toxic to you.  It's not like you swallowed/digested all of the fluoride. 

I might add that my loved one had a sensitivity to the fluoride toothpaste by getting numerous canker sores and had to discontinue use.  I can't imagine any significant after-effect, but a little sensitivity for a while.

~C