Darn! I just knew I would have a full head of hair before the wedding....

CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member

Whine, whine, whine...I know.  What is it about me and hair?  Anyway, I have been off taxotere for months now (last dose August) and my hair is just not coming back like I remembered from chemo before.  Beginning to suspect I may not get all of my hair back-or it will be a full year.

I remain on herceptin/perjeta forever (or until they mo longer work).  I wonder if they are retarding the growth.  I think I may try a little dab of rogaine at the temples...lol.  Has anyone else had this problem?

I am so ridiculous!  What difference does hair make if I am doing well? Wink  Thanks for letting me vent.

Comments

• mj_weis
    mj_weis Member Posts: 59
    Hair

My last radiation was in November and I have about 1/4 inch of hair and a big bald spot at my crown and on top of my head!  I am trying Hair Loss shampoo and conditioner and treatment.  I had pretty fine hair before, but had a really bad reaction to the Taxotere, so they say that might be why it might be taking so long.  I just want it to be long enough to be stylish without a hat or wig!  Summers coming and they can be so hot.  I don't even care that it is coming in all grey!!!!

MJ

• ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    hair

I was taking rads when my hair started to grow back after that i was on herceptin for a year  good luck hugs to u

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I did not have chemo so I

I did not have chemo so I can't relate...but feel well and have a great time..

Denise

• meandmom
    meandmom Member Posts: 9

I did not have chemo so I

I did not have chemo so I can't relate...but feel well and have a great time..

Denise

Mom was on Taxotere

Her hair was very fine before BC.  Chemo did a job on her scalp.  It took about 18months to really come back...but she is 80+.  The younger ladies (like you) had it back in less than a yr. 

Hair is just hair and it really doesn't matter if you are doing well. Smile

Stacey

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    meandmom said:

Mom was on Taxotere

Her hair was very fine before BC.  Chemo did a job on her scalp.  It took about 18months to really come back...but she is 80+.  The younger ladies (like you) had it back in less than a yr. 

Hair is just hair and it really doesn't matter if you are doing well. Smile

Stacey

I hope it comes back!!

Dang!  I hate that you have this worry.  Enough already.  As you know, Eileen, most of my hair has never come back - I have just enough to make me look like the crypt keeper.  And it's been 3 1/2 years since I had Taxotere.  Given you're still on chemo, tho, I bet no one would venture to guess what will or won't happen with your hair in time for the wedding.

I've made peace with my permanent hair loss but I still don't like it.   I always wear a wig when going out and keep my head buzzed (it sort of acts like velcro under a wig).   Feels sort of silly to be this vane at my age, but I justify it by telling myself when I have all my stuff on, I look pretty good for my age, better than most women my age and probably even better than if all my hair had come back - even on a good hair day.  

It might be a good idea to begin to shop for the perfect "hair" for the wedding and just buy it and make it part of your mother of the bride outfit for the big day.  I love the wig you sported a while ago.  I have learned so much about wigs, wig shops, and hair options.  There really are some very nice choices.  Believe me, I know you want your own hair back and there is absolutely nothing that can take its place, and I really, really hope it will all come back for you and in time for the wedding.  But if it doesn't, a good wig shop (this doesn't necessarily mean expensive) can help you find a natural looking wig that will allow you to dance at your daughter's wedding.  Looking your best and looking healthy might include wearing a wig.  I'm so sorry.  It does matter, it is every bit as devastating as the scars, and other collateral damage we're left with after treatments.

Hugs, Suzanne

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member

I hope it comes back!!

Dang!  I hate that you have this worry.  Enough already.  As you know, Eileen, most of my hair has never come back - I have just enough to make me look like the crypt keeper.  And it's been 3 1/2 years since I had Taxotere.  Given you're still on chemo, tho, I bet no one would venture to guess what will or won't happen with your hair in time for the wedding.

I've made peace with my permanent hair loss but I still don't like it.   I always wear a wig when going out and keep my head buzzed (it sort of acts like velcro under a wig).   Feels sort of silly to be this vane at my age, but I justify it by telling myself when I have all my stuff on, I look pretty good for my age, better than most women my age and probably even better than if all my hair had come back - even on a good hair day.  

It might be a good idea to begin to shop for the perfect "hair" for the wedding and just buy it and make it part of your mother of the bride outfit for the big day.  I love the wig you sported a while ago.  I have learned so much about wigs, wig shops, and hair options.  There really are some very nice choices.  Believe me, I know you want your own hair back and there is absolutely nothing that can take its place, and I really, really hope it will all come back for you and in time for the wedding.  But if it doesn't, a good wig shop (this doesn't necessarily mean expensive) can help you find a natural looking wig that will allow you to dance at your daughter's wedding.  Looking your best and looking healthy might include wearing a wig.  I'm so sorry.  It does matter, it is every bit as devastating as the scars, and other collateral damage we're left with after treatments.

Hugs, Suzanne

Thank you Suzanne and

Thank you Suzanne and everyone for the kind words.  I think what bothers me is 1) I had a head full of curly hair that I didn't like much, but it was me and 2) There are times I want to look like I have cancer and there are times when I do not. 

My earlier wig had about had it.  I liked it too.  I need to get out and try some on again and have fun with a new look.  You have encouraged me on.  Thank you! :-)

• cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Whine all you want... I don't

Whine all you want... I don't consider that whinging. We have all earned the right to "whine" about stuff.

I am sorry that you don't think you will not have a full head of hair....I know I would have a hard time not having hair! If it is an consolation, you look radiantly beautiful and more importantly, HAPPY in your picture here on csn!

• cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    I am liviing vicariously for

I am liviing vicariously for some happiness through your 's daughter wedding for some happiness (selfish but so incredibly happy for you and your family!)! I am so looking forward to more information about it!

What are the colors? What is her dress like? What are the bridesmaids dress like? What are the bouqets like? What is your dress like?