My dr. called with yesterday's scan results. I start Gemzar Friday.

mom2greatkids
mom2greatkids Member Posts: 528

Not great, but could be worse.  A few of the lymph nodes were stable on topotecan.  Some increased in size.  He doesn't see any reason to stay on topotecan.  I start Gemzar Friday.  Any one have any thoughts on gemzar?

thanks,

Carla

Comments

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Carla:
    I was on Gemzar as I

Carla:

I was on Gemzar as I had a reaction to Taxol.   I had no real problems.   I didn't lose my hair.   I took it every two weeks for six months.

I did get some neuropothy and a little queasy at times but I was also getting carboplatin every other time.

My best to you.

Kathy

• soul-mate
    soul-mate Member Posts: 82
    Gemzar??

Hi !! Carla

My wife had carbo-taxol but had to stop as neuropathy increased so plan B Gemzar or palliative care. We were told not a candidate for clinical trial. She chose Gemzaar and had 2 out of 3 treatments first cycle, third cancelled because blood count was low. We had a 2 week break and started first of three on cycle 2 today. She is tired but not as bad as carbo-taxol treatments and happy hair starting to grow back. With the advanced stage the scans from Nov. and Feb. showed no progression of disease, so Gemzar was our option with no regrets. We have trust in our cancer team and they are 5 doctors collabrating their expertise in unison. All I can say is trust your decisions and look at all options including clinical trials. I hope this tidbit of info sheds a light on Gemzar for you. I wish you the best on your journey. Bye for now.

SOUL-MATE

• kimberly sue 63
    kimberly sue 63 Member Posts: 421 Member
    Hang in there!!! Kim

Hang in there!!! Kim

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    Hey Carla

I don't have personal experience with Gemzar, but I heard that it's relatively mild on side effects.

Good luck and best wishes,

Alexandra 

• wholfmeister
    wholfmeister Member Posts: 315
    Pretty easy

I've been on Gemzar since November.  I started out two weeks on, one week off, but only did that twice before my blood counts wouldn't recover quickly enough.  So we switched to two weeks on, two weeks off.  Going well.  Very easy to tolerate.  I will warn you: it can burn like a hot poker going in.  If possible, use as large a vein as practical (no hands, please) and get a heat pack over the insertion site even before the drug starts flowing.  Gemzar is given at a quick rate, but even slowing the rate a little bit decreases the burning.  One nice thing...it is over in 30 minutes!  Good luck!

• Cafewoman53
    Cafewoman53 Member Posts: 735 Member
    Gemzar

This is my second time being on Carbo/ Gemzar and so far both times it has been fairly gentle for me. Mild nausea the first couple days and then just being tired, usually a week after chemo I am feeling much better. It has lowered my ca125 and the three previous chemos did not , it worked the first time I was on it also !

I get it once a month.

Colleen

• lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member

Gemzar

This is my second time being on Carbo/ Gemzar and so far both times it has been fairly gentle for me. Mild nausea the first couple days and then just being tired, usually a week after chemo I am feeling much better. It has lowered my ca125 and the three previous chemos did not , it worked the first time I was on it also !

I get it once a month.

Colleen

Hi Carla

I have no personal experience with Gemzar but sending lots of prayers your way that it kicks your cancer's butt to the curb!

Kelly

• Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Lots of experience with Gemzar

I've been on long term chemo for over four years now, and most of that time I've been on first carbo/gemzar and then cisplatin/gemzar. The cisplatin part is quite tough, but gemzar isn't so bad. Expect fatique, but, hey, it's chemo :). The good news is that I've been able to tolerate it over the long haul and it's keeping my numbers stable. Best of luck with your new treatment.

((((HUGS))))   Maria

• Licha
    Licha Member Posts: 21
    Gemzar

I was under gemzar before and it was not bad at all, i did have any side efect at all too, good luck

• wholfmeister
    wholfmeister Member Posts: 315
    How did it go?

Been thinking positive thoughts to surround you!  How did the first treatment go?

• mom2greatkids
    mom2greatkids Member Posts: 528

How did it go?

Been thinking positive thoughts to surround you!  How did the first treatment go?

AFter treatment number one

AFter treatment number one last week, I had major fatigue, chills, fever, body aches.  Very flu like symptoms for about 12 hours.  I took number 2 Friday (28 th).  I had a few chills last night, some fever.  I took 2 Tylenol, went to bed.  I feel good right now.  Thanks for asking.  :)

• lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member

AFter treatment number one

AFter treatment number one last week, I had major fatigue, chills, fever, body aches.  Very flu like symptoms for about 12 hours.  I took number 2 Friday (28 th).  I had a few chills last night, some fever.  I took 2 Tylenol, went to bed.  I feel good right now.  Thanks for asking.  :)

Hi Carla

I'm glad to hear that your second treatment was easier than your first.  Praying that the rest of the treatments go smoothly.

Hugs,

Kelly