Shaving advice, anyone?

Options
Beth J
Beth J Member Posts: 2

I am new to the board and 4 weeks post surgical for bilateral mastectomy. In the last 4 weeks I have not shaved the arm pit on the side they did the lymph node biopsy as I was advised not to use a razor. In a fit of desperation tonight I drug the horse clippers into the house and popped on the surgical blades. My husband did the honors - definitely fell in the category of things I never expected to do with my spouse. It was a very close shave though. 

Short of buying a second set of clippers for people use, can anyone recommend an electric razor that they like and where do you shop for them? Could I find it at Target or do I need to go somewhere special? Would appreciate any recommendations - otherwise I'll have to fight the horses for the clippers! 

Thanks much, 

Beth

Comments

• tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    arm pits?

I may just be fortunate not to ever have had a lot of hair on my body but I briefly restarted shaving when the pit hair finally decided to come back.  I stopped shaving totally because I had a tendency to get engorged follicles and didn't want to encourage infections.  With all the scarring and other visual unpleasantness in those areas I rarely go sleeveless anyway except for summer when I am actually in the water, and I am content with this.

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    tufi000 said:

arm pits?

I may just be fortunate not to ever have had a lot of hair on my body but I briefly restarted shaving when the pit hair finally decided to come back.  I stopped shaving totally because I had a tendency to get engorged follicles and didn't want to encourage infections.  With all the scarring and other visual unpleasantness in those areas I rarely go sleeveless anyway except for summer when I am actually in the water, and I am content with this.

Beth ...

Never had this issue - chemo, here - so no Hair to worry about!   However, a unique situation to say the very least! Wowzy ...

Just a thought ..  what about nair 'hair removal' ?  cream form - you may have to keep your arm lifted / proped up for 5 to 7 minutes - then wipe off area with a dry wash cloth. I am hoping this works for you .. 

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I did not shave at Drs

I did not shave at Drs request but then I had radiation so no need to shave that side for over a year.

Denise

• RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I always use throw away Hypo

I always use throw away Hypo Allergic Aloa, Sensitive Skin Quatro (four blades) Schick.  Not all places sell them, a good chemist should.  I am VERY hairy and find it hard to cut myself with these and are very gentle.l

• RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I always use throw away Hypo

I always use throw away Hypo Allergic Aloa, Sensitive Skin Quatro (four blades) Schick.  Not all places sell them, a good chemist should.  I am VERY hairy and find it hard to cut myself with these and are very gentle.l