What hair loss related products did you find most useful? Upcoming 1st chemo.....

Dee5678
Dee5678 Member Posts: 37

Hi everyone. I am starting 5 - 6 months of chemo in 2 weeks and it is the type that makes your hair fall out.  In preparation, I have already had my hair cut from shoulder length to smile length, just to get used to short hair. I am thinking I may go to a pixie cut before I do the big shave. 

I want to go online and order a few things (scarves. hats, etc)  for the big shave day and for the months to come with no hair.  There are so many options. I really don't know what to order. Later, I will go wig shopping in person but I love to know what your go-to items were other than wigs. 

I'd love to know if you were fond of a particular hat or scarf (or type of hat or scarf). Did you find headbands useful and if so, did you order special ones or just use the kind you can find in drugstores. Did you buy night caps? 

I so appreciate all your help and advice!

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Love ACS' TLC

Hi, Dee -

I did chemo 5 years ago, when I was 40 -- I chose not to wear anything to cover my head except when I was outdoors, but was very careful to always wear a hat if I was outside for more than a few minutes, and decided this was my excuse to SHOP!  I amassed quite a collection of cute hats.

I was a big fan of the American Cancer Society's TLC catalog (www.tlcdirect.org).  They have a big selection, their prices are very reasonable, very caring customer service, and of course I like to support the ACS.

They have every shape hat imaginable, but I dare say I looked particularly cute Smile in their Cotton Conductor's Hat (http://www.tlcdirect.org/Cotton-Conductors-Hat.html?did=77), if you'd like someplace to start.  I bought it in several colors.

I'm all thumbs, so I never tried scarves -- but TLC does have pre-tied scarves and kerchiefs, and I had several of their kerchiefs, which were very easy to tie, even for me!

Definitely a good place to start!

Traci

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    First, think about whether

First, think about whether you are hot-natured or cold-natured and also consider your climate.  I am beginning to get hair but I still wear a soft cotton cap at home because my head gets cold.

My favorite , go-to turban-type cap (or sleeping cap)  for around the house is the "Hats with a Heart" 3 seam chemo turban.  You can dress it up with a scarf.  It is just the least irritating, most comfortable cap for me and it is 100% cotton.  I don't like the cotton sleep turbans with the knot in the front.  You do not have to buy a scarf at the site-any scarf can dress it up.  If you live where it is cold, it may not be warm enough.  I am in Louisiana.  Link: http://www.hatswithheart.com/

I love cotton Parkhurst cloche (bell-shaped) caps for a dressier, going out option.  They are a little pricey(~$30), but they are very high quality (made in Canada).  They last forever and are casual but a little dressier.  They also make them in wool if you live wear it is colder.  My first one came from the TLC site, but it didn't say Parkhurst at the site.  I think this was similar: https://www.tlcdirect.org/Classic-Cotton-Knit-Cloche.html  I have purchased 3 of them, because they come in different cute colors and styles.  I mainly find them on ebay or amazon now.

Polyester blend sleep caps are too hot for me.

I have ended up with way too many caps...lol.  Hope this helps!

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    I had a soft turban I wore

I had a soft turban I wore nights only when I was losing my hair.  On a rare night did I wear one after that.   I only popped something on my head when I went out and about.  I had a variety of hats/styles given me, but I preferred my white and my denim bucket hats.  I was not at all a scarf or turban lady.   I did have a wig, but I wore that less than I did my hats.  I got my preferred hats and hair from the TLC company already mentioned.  My local American Cancer Society gave me a $45 voucher for the wig.

• TraciInLA

First, think about whether

First, think about whether you are hot-natured or cold-natured and also consider your climate.  I am beginning to get hair but I still wear a soft cotton cap at home because my head gets cold.

My favorite , go-to turban-type cap (or sleeping cap)  for around the house is the "Hats with a Heart" 3 seam chemo turban.  You can dress it up with a scarf.  It is just the least irritating, most comfortable cap for me and it is 100% cotton.  I don't like the cotton sleep turbans with the knot in the front.  You do not have to buy a scarf at the site-any scarf can dress it up.  If you live where it is cold, it may not be warm enough.  I am in Louisiana.  Link: http://www.hatswithheart.com/

I love cotton Parkhurst cloche (bell-shaped) caps for a dressier, going out option.  They are a little pricey(~$30), but they are very high quality (made in Canada).  They last forever and are casual but a little dressier.  They also make them in wool if you live wear it is colder.  My first one came from the TLC site, but it didn't say Parkhurst at the site.  I think this was similar: https://www.tlcdirect.org/Classic-Cotton-Knit-Cloche.html  I have purchased 3 of them, because they come in different cute colors and styles.  I mainly find them on ebay or amazon now.

Polyester blend sleep caps are too hot for me.

I have ended up with way too many caps...lol.  Hope this helps!

Cloche is adorable, CC!

CC, the cloche-style hat on the TLC site you link to is so freakin' adorable!  

I had a similar-style cloche hat that I bought at an overpriced neighborhood boutique early on (before I'd heard of TLC), and was surprised by how good it looked on me, so that style is also a good one to try.

I will add that, when the TLC site says "cotton knit," they mean "like sweater material," which I found out the hard way was way too hot for me in the summertime when I was doing chemo.  But, if it's still chilly where you live, or if you tend to get cold, that material would be a good choice.

Traci

• Dee5678

I had a soft turban I wore

I had a soft turban I wore nights only when I was losing my hair.  On a rare night did I wear one after that.   I only popped something on my head when I went out and about.  I had a variety of hats/styles given me, but I preferred my white and my denim bucket hats.  I was not at all a scarf or turban lady.   I did have a wig, but I wore that less than I did my hats.  I got my preferred hats and hair from the TLC company already mentioned.  My local American Cancer Society gave me a $45 voucher for the wig.

Great tips

These are such helpful tips!  I appreciate them all. Smile

I live in a hot climate and am menopausal (had ovaries out) and will be doing chemo Spring and Summer. Those are important things to consider!  I am hoping to work full-time during chemo (I have a public-type job) so I probably do want something on my head.  I will try a wig, but hear they are hot.  Am hoping to rock some hats and scarves!

The TLC site has some cute things. I have already bookmarked a few. 

Did you find the headbands to be helpful under hats or scarves?

• TraciInLA
    Dee5678 said:

Great tips

These are such helpful tips!  I appreciate them all. Smile

I live in a hot climate and am menopausal (had ovaries out) and will be doing chemo Spring and Summer. Those are important things to consider!  I am hoping to work full-time during chemo (I have a public-type job) so I probably do want something on my head.  I will try a wig, but hear they are hot.  Am hoping to rock some hats and scarves!

The TLC site has some cute things. I have already bookmarked a few. 

Did you find the headbands to be helpful under hats or scarves?

Never did headbands

I live in one of the hottest regions in Southern California, and did chemo August-October (95-100+ degrees), so staying cool was a huge priority for me.  I never used the headbands or turbans under my hats or kerchiefs -- an additional layer would have just been too hot.

The only time I could have used a headband was under a silk scarf that was given to me as a gift -- it was beautiful, but just too slippery on my hairless head.

If you're looking to stay cool (literally and figuratively! Wink), stick with hats/scarves on the TLC site that are described as just "cotton," not "cotton knit."  I found they stayed put just fine without anything under them.

Hope that helps!

Traci

• Dee5678
    TraciInLA said:

Never did headbands

I live in one of the hottest regions in Southern California, and did chemo August-October (95-100+ degrees), so staying cool was a huge priority for me.  I never used the headbands or turbans under my hats or kerchiefs -- an additional layer would have just been too hot.

The only time I could have used a headband was under a silk scarf that was given to me as a gift -- it was beautiful, but just too slippery on my hairless head.

If you're looking to stay cool (literally and figuratively! Wink), stick with hats/scarves on the TLC site that are described as just "cotton," not "cotton knit."  I found they stayed put just fine without anything under them.

Hope that helps!

Traci

Found a few hats today!

Thanks, Traci, for that advice. 

Thanks also, Cypress Cynthia, for the advice on the 3-seam chemo turbans from "Hats with Heart."  I found out that one of our local specialty stores carries these and I stopped by this afternoon. I bought three turbans. Oh, they are sooooo soft.  

I am continuing my search for more supplies. At least the shopping is a fun side effect of the chemo!

• mj_weis
    mj_weis Member Posts: 59
    Dee5678 said:

Found a few hats today!

Thanks also, Cypress Cynthia, for the advice on the 3-seam chemo turbans from "Hats with Heart."  I found out that one of our local specialty stores carries these and I stopped by this afternoon. I bought three turbans. Oh, they are sooooo soft.  

I am continuing my search for more supplies. At least the shopping is a fun side effect of the chemo!

Hats & Turbans

You might also try Headcovers.com.  I had alot of fun on that website!

• JoAnn_5
    JoAnn_5 Member Posts: 1
    Dee5678 said:

Found a few hats today!

Dee, also go to YouTube and

Dee, also go to YouTube and search for how to tie headscarf, chemo scarves how to, etc.  i got a lot of tips from that and now get compliments on the scarves i wear.  it really is easy to tie them when you wtch someone else do it.  i have found that the caps make my head sweat and become uncomfortable after a little while, making me want to just yank it off in the middle of my dr's waiting room or a restaurant. Scarves, however are more breathable and soft on my old head, and according how i tie them can be adjusted with thickness and warmth, or thinness and coolness.  I prefer the longer ones that are little more than a foot wide.  Watch the videos on YouTube, there are several, and you will see many different kinds used.  

Good luck and i hope your treatments go well!    JoAnn

• pamcb3
    pamcb3 Member Posts: 44
    Hi, I am out of treatment for

Hi, I am out of treatment for two years now and I am a hairdresser so I have personal experience and professional. 

i have everyone use nixing shampoo and conditioner. It comes in choices of 1,2,3,4 for various levels of thin hair. You shou pick two or three... buy it now and start using it. Also purchase Moroccan oil Now and start using it. Two to three pumps /drops massaged into your scalp  after shampooing and before you dry your hair. I had been using all of these products for a while and I never experienced any scalp sensitivity. A friend of mine had breast cancer the year before I did and when I shaved her head for her I gave her the products the Moroccan oil helped with the scalp sensitivity a lot! So the sooner you start using it the better your head will feel. I shaved my head the day after my second treatment. It will start to fall out about 10-14days after your  first treatment. It's best to shave it all at once. Continue to use the shampoo and conditioner as if you had hair and put the Moroccan oil on your head twice a day always cover your head when you go out. Avoid the sun. Good luck to you! You can do this!!!

• pamcb3
    pamcb3 Member Posts: 44
    Hi again, 
     I would also go

Hi again, 

I would also go for a wig before your hair falls out.  And ask about the look good feel better program in your area! I would also suggest going to that before you start. I never felt good enough to go. They seemed to always be at my low point. I purchased two hats that had 50spf in them. They were not cheap $40-50 each but I still use them because they are cute!:) if your insurance won't cover a wig there are many programs for free ones, the look good feel better program should be able to help with that! Everyone's journey is different so don't compare yourself to anyone else. Good luck! :)

• Dee5678
    pamcb3 said:

Hi again, 
     I would also go

Hi again, 

I would also go for a wig before your hair falls out.  And ask about the look good feel better program in your area! I would also suggest going to that before you start. I never felt good enough to go. They seemed to always be at my low point. I purchased two hats that had 50spf in them. They were not cheap $40-50 each but I still use them because they are cute!:) if your insurance won't cover a wig there are many programs for free ones, the look good feel better program should be able to help with that! Everyone's journey is different so don't compare yourself to anyone else. Good luck! :)

Thanks everyone for the great

Thanks everyone for the great advice.  I got so many good ideas!