On day 9 of a common cold - on the down slope

Finished TX June 12th, 2012. 35 rads 6 cisplatin for SCC stage IV tumor in the throat near the epiglottis and had invaded a few lymph nodes.

I was always wondering if my body would react differently to a cold or flu (haven't had flu in 25 years) post treatment. Well, a cold feels the same as it always did but it sure did suck to loose most of my taste again! I kept the salty flavors but everything else was missing. Just starting to return the last 2 days.

Comments

• D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Taste

Now you have me wondering...  did the common cold cause us to lose our taste, back in the pre-c and pre-treatment days? Maybe it did, and we just never noticed before?

Deb

• fishmanpa
    fishmanpa Member Posts: 1,227 Member
    The New Normal

I caught my first cold after treatment a month or so ago. Used to be I would muddle through for a day or so and be over it in a week but this "common cold" knocked the living poo out of me! It lingered for weeks. Glad I got the flu shot as I don't know what that would have done to me ;) I didn't loose my taste except for the general stuffed nose/lack of taste bit. 

Glad you're feeling better

Positive thoughts and prayers

"T" 

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    I always lost my sense of

when I had a cold....nowdays, tho.....I imagine we have a greater appreciation for a sense of taste, we know what we are losing....Your taster will return when you cold subsides.....

p

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    cold, flu, sore throat

hrowe,

No cold or flu ever hit my taste buds like rads did.  Or have I had a cold these past 2 years?

I am just coming off of an on again off again sore throat over the past 3 weeks.  The kind of sore throat I wouldn’t have given a second thought about pre-cancer (a real nonevent), but not now.   Even broke out my last unopened bottle of magic mouth wash.

I am still adjusting to the new normal.

Matt