NPC - treatment done!

Options

HI All,

I posted on here around September last year hoping for advice on how to make my mom's NPC Stage 4 (only locally advanced) treatment better. I've used all the wonderful tips that people have given and she has completed treatment! She did 35 rads and was only able to do 1 session of adjuvent chemo as she developed a rash from her feeding tube that cause the onc to hold off on the rest of the chemo. She also got some swelling on her face which worried the oncologist and he ordered an earlier CT Scan. The CT showed some post treatment damage, but because of all the swelling, it was difficult to tell whether all of the cancer was gone or if it was radiation scarring. She also had a subsequent MRI which showed no tumour, but either cancer/swelling. It’s scary not knowing but the onc followed up with an EBV blood test, and it showed that it was no longer in her blood. He said that in his experience, when a patient tests clear for EBV in their blood post treatment (as it existed before treatment), it usually means the cancer is gone or that the chance of it coming back is very low. He therefore cancelled the last 2 rounds of chemo. We are hoping it is radiation damage but they will watch her closely with another scan in 3 months. THANKS FOR EVERYONE’S HELP ON THIS FORUM. I hope she gets to many many more years of being cancer free.

Cheers

Comments

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    Options
    Yay!

Yay!

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    way to go

C23,

Congratulations to your Mom.  I will ring my bell for her and when all the neighborhood cats and dogs come running I will tell them your story.

Matt

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    it happens

double post

• kimnavarette
    kimnavarette Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Great news!!

That's great news! Best wishes for a lifetime of cancer-free happiness!

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

it happens

double post

Congrats to your Mom

I had never heard of testing the blood before, interesting. My best to your Mom and wishes for continued clean scans.

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    super news!  praying she

super news!  praying she stays cancer free forever!!  celebration time.

God bless,

dj

• Conquerthis23
    Conquerthis23 Member Posts: 15
    Options

super news!  praying she

super news!  praying she stays cancer free forever!!  celebration time.

God bless,

dj

thank you everyone! what a

thank you everyone! what a wonderful community this is, truly godsent

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    Congrats.....

A big Congradulation...

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    NPC Swelling

Sometime some swelling is normal depending on where she had most of the radiation in the face. I had swelling in just one place the neck; it took a while but went down finial. Just keep a eye on it as she starts to heal it should start to get better. Remember that the radiation will continue working in her body for weeks after the last treatment. Wishing you both well and a wonderful future.

God Bless

Hondo