Options
2»

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    tufi000 said:

port or?

I had 8 and didn't have anything. I have skinny veins so they used my hand and it was always just fine. They did do something for my huge long surgery cause I needed continuos IVaccess for 3 days, but for chemo...you may not need anything.  Enjoy!

For some, it may be fine to

For some, it may be fine to skip a port. 

Here was my situation: in 1987 (before sentinel node choice), I had every lymph node in my left axillary area that surgeon could find removed.  Therefore, they never could use my left arm.  My hand veins have never been any good.  I don't know why, but, if they are able to get an IV there, it lasts about 5 minutes and then blows.  First chemo though, no real problem, they used my antecubital vein (vein in bend of elbow) over and over. 

Unfortunately, that turned out to be my only reliable vein and, after chemo, it was too scarred to use anymore.  Sometimes, a nurse could get it and, because of the scarring, it was very painful.

For years, if I had a minor or major surgery, they would start with using my one beat up vein (if they could) or stick me repeatedly to find something.  Then, I would wake up with a jugular (neck) IV that anesthesia would place.  Not a great place for an IV.

I was on zometa (after metastases) without a port and it was traumatic for both me and the nurses.  I asked my onc to switch to xgeva because it is a shot and not an infusion.

For me, the port has been a lifesaver.  Everyone is so individual but I remember my oncologist saying I didn't really need a port with my first chemo.  If I had had a crystal ball, I would have insisted - especially having just the one arm to use.  You never know how your veins are going to hold up until you've lived with the diagnosis for decades and you never know what the future holds in terms of surgeries and, God forgive, a repeat of the cancer. 

• pem
    pem Member Posts: 81 Member
    Options

For some, it may be fine to

For some, it may be fine to skip a port. 

Here was my situation: in 1987 (before sentinel node choice), I had every lymph node in my left axillary area that surgeon could find removed.  Therefore, they never could use my left arm.  My hand veins have never been any good.  I don't know why, but, if they are able to get an IV there, it lasts about 5 minutes and then blows.  First chemo though, no real problem, they used my antecubital vein (vein in bend of elbow) over and over. 

Unfortunately, that turned out to be my only reliable vein and, after chemo, it was too scarred to use anymore.  Sometimes, a nurse could get it and, because of the scarring, it was very painful.

For years, if I had a minor or major surgery, they would start with using my one beat up vein (if they could) or stick me repeatedly to find something.  Then, I would wake up with a jugular (neck) IV that anesthesia would place.  Not a great place for an IV.

I was on zometa (after metastases) without a port and it was traumatic for both me and the nurses.  I asked my onc to switch to xgeva because it is a shot and not an infusion.

For me, the port has been a lifesaver.  Everyone is so individual but I remember my oncologist saying I didn't really need a port with my first chemo.  If I had had a crystal ball, I would have insisted - especially having just the one arm to use.  You never know how your veins are going to hold up until you've lived with the diagnosis for decades and you never know what the future holds in terms of surgeries and, God forgive, a repeat of the cancer. 

thank you all!!

i want to thank all of you for responding.  i passed all the information on to my sister in law.  She has done her first round of chemo and did have some issues with her viens in her hand.  apparently her viens are really small and for this reason she has decided to get a pic line put in.  she tolerated her first round very well.  the only thing she complains about is being really tired and cant stay up for very long wilth out taking a nap to feel better.  her hair hasnt fallen out yet neither which has surprised a few of her friends that went through the same treatment.  i told her that everyone reacts different to treatment .  thanks again and god bless you all.          pem

• cancerbaby2014
    cancerbaby2014 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Boudicca said:

Has anyone had any pain from

Has anyone had any pain from the port?  I just had mine put in last week-it has not been accessed yet-and it gets to be very uncomfortable, even painful at times.

PORT

I have a port and have had it since Nov 2013 and since i have been recieving chemo I dont like ANY1 to touch it.it seems the port has gotten tender to me,when i go in for my weekly blood draws I let them take it outta my arm cause my port is tender,and I have recieving chemo for 4 months,Good luck on your journey and god bless any suggestions to make me feel more comfortable