Prescription ointment

Lawchick618
Lawchick618 Member Posts: 20

Hello Friends

I am 3 weeks post-treatment.  Still having painful bowel movements and my doctor has prescribed pramoxine to see if I can get some relief.  Insurance does not cover it and it is $180.  Has anyone tried this? I'm just wondering if it's worth the money and a difference maker.

Comments

• Marynb
    Marynb Member Posts: 1,118
    Pain
    Hi Lawhick, I am just wondering whether the pain is from the burned skin, or is it from inside? If it is due to hard stools, drink lots of water and maybe try stool softeners. I did not have this pain, as I had diarreah for weeks after treatment and the skin healed pretty quickly.
  • eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Lawchick618.....

I could be wrong so I hope someone else will have some info but,......I was in a nursing home at the end of treatment (3 yrs ago) due to some minor complications, and I remember a wound nurse suggesting what I think ??? was that. We did not persue it because when she looked it up it said not to use on broken skin or severe burns....and believe me, my burns were severe! I used both aquaphor and  dermoplast, both available OTC and not too expensive. The dermoplast is a spray so easy to apply. As Mary said, it doesn't take too awfully long for the burned area to begin healing.

Best of luck on this stretch of the journey.

Katheryn

• jcruz
    jcruz Member Posts: 379 Member
    ointments

Hi

I used OTC hydrocortisone cream as well as aquaphor compounded with lidocaine (prescription).  Mainly I used the aquaphor.  I just did a quick read on pramoxine and it seems like it would be a good topical treatment for external pain/itch.  It's unfortunate that your insurance doesn't cover it.  Can your doctor appeal the denial by the insurance?  

I think a lot of my pain was internal and there wasn't a whole lot to do about it except to use stool softeners or miralax and wait for the internal tissue to heal.  It still hurts sometimes and it's been 15 months since my treatment.

• Lawchick618
    Lawchick618 Member Posts: 20
    Pain

Yes, the pain is on the inside.  I guess still inflamed tissue.  My outside has healed nicely.  My stools have not been hard but maybe softners anyway?? I went the whole treatment without diarrhea but my norm is 1-2 loose bm's in the morning.

Shame on my rad onc for saying it takes 2 weeks to heal !!

• jcruz
    jcruz Member Posts: 379 Member

Pain

Yes, the pain is on the inside.  I guess still inflamed tissue.  My outside has healed nicely.  My stools have not been hard but maybe softners anyway?? I went the whole treatment without diarrhea but my norm is 1-2 loose bm's in the morning.

Shame on my rad onc for saying it takes 2 weeks to heal !!

pain

I continued using oxycontin for several months after treatment because of the constant internal pain.  Because the oxy is constipating I did have to use stool softeners.  I think it was essential for me to use pain meds during and after treatment.  Some of us just need to.

And yes, shame on your rad onc.  What a ridiculous thing to say.

Take care.

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    jcruz said:

pain

I continued using oxycontin for several months after treatment because of the constant internal pain.  Because the oxy is constipating I did have to use stool softeners.  I think it was essential for me to use pain meds during and after treatment.  Some of us just need to.

And yes, shame on your rad onc.  What a ridiculous thing to say.

Take care.

Pain meds.....

I also was on pain meds (oxycontin) for several months.  Like we often say, even with the same treatment, we all react differently to some parts of it, but it was essential for my healing as well.

Wink