Rectal Bleeding during Chemo

Gavin63
Gavin63 Member Posts: 98 Member
edited January 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Dear Friends,

It’s one week since I had my 3rd Chemo administered. That’s after an additional week of rest due to low WBC & Platelet. Last 2 nights I noticed heavy bleeding when I was trying to pass motion. Though I am constipated, blood passed through without any pain. But seing blood when passing motion makes me nerves as it reminds me of the rectal bleeding I had before I was diagnosed with CRC.

I had a mild bleeding during my 2nd cycle. This time it’s extensive.  Is this symptom very common for Xeloda. I am on a moderate dose of 2000 mg a day since my 2nd cycle due to low blood counts. I still don’t have any signs of Neuropathy. But my palms & feet have turned in to an ugly colour Frown

Any experience to share ?

Gavin   

Comments

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    If you are on Avastin, please

If you are on Avastin, please let your dr know immediately!  One of the potential problems with Avastin is perforation.   It's probably best to call your onc regardless, just to be safe.

• devotion10
    devotion10 Member Posts: 623 Member
    Gavin … yes, call your doctor.

Please when you can give us an update. Peace. ~ Cynthia

• BigMike
    BigMike Member Posts: 17

Gavin … yes, call your doctor.

Please when you can give us an update. Peace. ~ Cynthia

Wishing you luck, Gavin

You do need to talk to your doctor(s) about the bleeding but I'm hoping it's just because of your condition, which I am admittedly unfamiliar with.  I was diagnosed stage 4 and had some serious bleeding, thats one reason I went and had my first colonoscopy that revealed my tumor.  Maybe you are just bleeding because your tumor is shrinking from the chemo and everything down there is re-adjusting.  Keep us updated, hope it just passes on your road to recovery.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    I second, third, fourth and fith that

Calll your Oncologist. 

It could easily just be one of the many side effects, but you have to be sure, and the only way you can be sure is to check it out with your Doctor. 

• Gavin63
    Gavin63 Member Posts: 98 Member
    Trubrit said:

I second, third, fourth and fith that

Calll your Oncologist. 

It could easily just be one of the many side effects, but you have to be sure, and the only way you can be sure is to check it out with your Doctor. 

Thank you all for your

Thank you all for your replies. I did call my Onc. He asked me whether I was straining to pass motion when I go to bath room. My answer was yes because this Xeloda had constipated me badly. He said the inner linings of my rectum become week due to Xeloda & when I strain the linings may have damaged & caused the bleeding. He wanted me to call him again in case if the bleeding is excessive.  Bleeding is only twice a day & not more that too only in the night after I come back from work.  

Mike, My Tumour just below the rectosigmoid juction was removed by surgery with clear margins from both ends in last July. So I hope & pray that the cause of the bleeding is what my Onc told & not a tumour again Cry    

However it@s just 4 more days to go with Xeloda before I take my 1 week off before the 4th cycle.  Smile 

Gavin     

• lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    Gavin63 said:

Thank you all for your

Thank you all for your replies. I did call my Onc. He asked me whether I was straining to pass motion when I go to bath room. My answer was yes because this Xeloda had constipated me badly. He said the inner linings of my rectum become week due to Xeloda & when I strain the linings may have damaged & caused the bleeding. He wanted me to call him again in case if the bleeding is excessive.  Bleeding is only twice a day & not more that too only in the night after I come back from work.  

Mike, My Tumour just below the rectosigmoid juction was removed by surgery with clear margins from both ends in last July. So I hope & pray that the cause of the bleeding is what my Onc told & not a tumour again Cry    

However it@s just 4 more days to go with Xeloda before I take my 1 week off before the 4th cycle.  Smile 

Gavin     

Hey Gavin,

Even though anything is possible and has to be verified, I can tell you that chemo will mess with your blood and blood vessels so many ways. Every time I'm on chemo my scars from the October surgery turn red and even bleed a little. My stoma bleeds a little too.

i hope everything works out at the end.

Laz