Blood

Marynb
Marynb Member Posts: 1,118
I have an appointment with the doctor in 2 weeks, but today the toilet bowl was filled with fresh blood. This is a first. I am 2 and 1/2 yrs post treatment for this cancer. Ugh! Is this common? I will call tomorrow , but just looking for some reassurance??

Comments

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Marynb.....

I don't know if you saw it but just a couple weeks ago I posted about something similar for me! It was the night before a scheduled appointment with my oncologist about a follow-up CT scan. According to my scan and examination he found no concrete reason for the bleeding and said we would just watch for now but to notify him if it happens repeatedly. He thinks mine may be related to estrogen issues and my breast cancer medication. I have not had since???? I was not able to determine if the blood was coming from the anus or vaginal area.....that may be helpful if you can determine that. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that it does not become an issue. Please keep us posted.

• jcruz
    jcruz Member Posts: 379 Member
    similar

I've had this happen a few times.  It's a little shocking when it happens.  I think the tissue is still easily torn.  Seems to heal up pretty quickly.  Doesn't happen more than once or twice in a day and then not again for months.  It's good to call since it hasn't happened to you before.

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Marynb

I know this can be quite alarming--it's happened to me a few times and really upsets me.  However, all of my check-ups, scans, etc. have shown no issues or explanation for the blood.  It can be caused by different things, but most likely radiation proctitis.  I am finding that the further out I get from treatment, the more cranky my bowels can be at times.  I hope you'll find out that this is the cause for your blood and it's good that you'll be seeing your doctor soon to be reassured that it's nothing serious.

• qv62
    qv62 Member Posts: 434 Member
    Marynb

Hope this turns out to be a non-issue, thinking good things for you, please keep us posted. Wishing you a helathier 2014

• Marynb
    eihtak said:

Marynb.....

I don't know if you saw it but just a couple weeks ago I posted about something similar for me! It was the night before a scheduled appointment with my oncologist about a follow-up CT scan. According to my scan and examination he found no concrete reason for the bleeding and said we would just watch for now but to notify him if it happens repeatedly. He thinks mine may be related to estrogen issues and my breast cancer medication. I have not had since???? I was not able to determine if the blood was coming from the anus or vaginal area.....that may be helpful if you can determine that. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that it does not become an issue. Please keep us posted.

Blood
    Thanks for the reponse. The blood was profuse and definitly from the rectum. I am hoping it is nothing, but I had this before I was diagnosed. Once or twice after treatment, I had minor blood on the toilet paper and I felt is was from the tissues. This feels different. I hope it is nothing. Not the way I wanted to start the New Year. I am trying to stay positive. Cheers!
  • lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    Dear Mary,

I'm so sorry you have to experience scarry events like this and I hope it is just a minor issue.

I pray for a quick resolution.

Laz

• horsepad
    horsepad Member Posts: 146 Member
    I am currently experiencing

I am currently experiencing the same issue.  My ct scan showed NED, met with a colorectal surgeon who wants to do an explorotory "procedure" on colon and take various tissue samples for biopsy.  Currently waiting for call from dr. office to schedule this.  I too am very nervous.  Prayers for you (and me) that this is nothing.

• sephie
    sephie Member Posts: 650 Member
    same thing

i am 4.5 years post and have blood every week...had lots of blood few months ago....MD anderson docs said radiation proctitis.... NED.... some of us have more problems than others...... sephie

• Marynb
    horsepad said:

I am currently experiencing

I am currently experiencing the same issue.  My ct scan showed NED, met with a colorectal surgeon who wants to do an explorotory "procedure" on colon and take various tissue samples for biopsy.  Currently waiting for call from dr. office to schedule this.  I too am very nervous.  Prayers for you (and me) that this is nothing.

Horsepad
    I hope all goes wel for you. I am feeling the stress too. I pray that we both get positive answers.
  • Marynb
    sephie said:

same thing

i am 4.5 years post and have blood every week...had lots of blood few months ago....MD anderson docs said radiation proctitis.... NED.... some of us have more problems than others...... sephie

Sephie
    Thanks for telling me this. I am going to google proctitis. I sure wish that the doctors would have given me some information about long term side effects. At this point, I am a bit of a wreck, which I am suremdoesn't help!
  • Marynb
    lp1964 said:

Dear Mary,

I'm so sorry you have to experience scarry events like this and I hope it is just a minor issue.

I pray for a quick resolution.

Laz

Laz
    Thanks. I hope you are feeling better each passing day!
  • LaCh
    LaCh Member Posts: 557
    Marynb

I've had bleeding also, haven't rushed to have it evaluated but have been in touch with my gastroenterologist. She wants to take a look and I will, but not just yet. Since I've already decided not to treat a recurrence if there is one, there's no hurry to find out if there is.

That said, take heart in knowing that evidently, many people have post tx bleeding with ned. 

• Marynb
    LaCh said:

Marynb

I've had bleeding also, haven't rushed to have it evaluated but have been in touch with my gastroenterologist. She wants to take a look and I will, but not just yet. Since I've already decided not to treat a recurrence if there is one, there's no hurry to find out if there is.

That said, take heart in knowing that evidently, many people have post tx bleeding with ned. 

LaCh
    Thanks for the reassurance! I hope you get to a doctor soon. There is no reason to die of this damn cancer! Stay warm and well!!
  • LaCh
    LaCh Member Posts: 557
    Marynb said:

LaCh
    Thanks for the reassurance! I hope you get to a doctor soon. There is no reason to die of this damn cancer! Stay warm and well!!

marynb

You're welcome Mary. Sometimes, it just takes someone to remind you of what you already know; you, me, all of us. For those who worry about recurrance and dying, it's difficult to prevent the mind from going to dark places, but it serves no useful purpose. Avoiding such things is easier said than done for some people, maybe for many people, but that's when someone will, hopefully, step in and remind you of what you already know.  As for reasons to die, of this cancer or another cause, reasons play no part; we all die of something.  All one can do, with luck and with timing, maybe, is delay it, but to fear it is very unhelpful.  That said, might you have a recurrance? Sure. But the statistical odds are in your favor that you don't, and like I said, it seems like the majority of us have post treatment benign rectal bleeding from a variety of causes.  I'll get mine checked out when I get around to it, which means when it's not 300 degrees below zero. I'm more put out by the cold, than I am about cancer recurrance or bleeding from my arse. Maybe it should be the other way around, but...well, that's just me!  I'm worse than useless in the cold and winter. Useless, really useless. How I got myself to and from treatment in the dead of winter last year, I really don't know. That I did it alone isn't the major triumph that some people think  it is. That I did it in the winter! Well, THAT is a miracle. But here's the thing. I did it. How? By dealing with what was before me, when it was before me, and not looking beyond it.  Deal with things as they appear; don't worry about things that aren't yet there. Cross bridges as you get to them; don't worry about how you're going to cross those that aren't laid at your feet; you may never have to cross them at all.  Easier said than done? Sure. But something to shoot for. Hang in.... 

• Marynb
    LaCh said:

marynb

You're welcome Mary. Sometimes, it just takes someone to remind you of what you already know; you, me, all of us. For those who worry about recurrance and dying, it's difficult to prevent the mind from going to dark places, but it serves no useful purpose. Avoiding such things is easier said than done for some people, maybe for many people, but that's when someone will, hopefully, step in and remind you of what you already know.  As for reasons to die, of this cancer or another cause, reasons play no part; we all die of something.  All one can do, with luck and with timing, maybe, is delay it, but to fear it is very unhelpful.  That said, might you have a recurrance? Sure. But the statistical odds are in your favor that you don't, and like I said, it seems like the majority of us have post treatment benign rectal bleeding from a variety of causes.  I'll get mine checked out when I get around to it, which means when it's not 300 degrees below zero. I'm more put out by the cold, than I am about cancer recurrance or bleeding from my arse. Maybe it should be the other way around, but...well, that's just me!  I'm worse than useless in the cold and winter. Useless, really useless. How I got myself to and from treatment in the dead of winter last year, I really don't know. That I did it alone isn't the major triumph that some people think  it is. That I did it in the winter! Well, THAT is a miracle. But here's the thing. I did it. How? By dealing with what was before me, when it was before me, and not looking beyond it.  Deal with things as they appear; don't worry about things that aren't yet there. Cross bridges as you get to them; don't worry about how you're going to cross those that aren't laid at your feet; you may never have to cross them at all.  Easier said than done? Sure. But something to shoot for. Hang in.... 

LaCh
    Thank you for your wise words. Stay warm! Spring is right around the corner! All will be well!
  • Marynb
    LaCh said:

marynb

Scope
    Well, the scope showed no tumors. The doctor said the blood can sometimes hqppen from damage to blood vessels from radiation. I sure hope he is right. On to the next set of scans at the end of the month. Ugh!
  • pializ
    pializ Member Posts: 508 Member
    Marynb said:

Scope
    Well, the scope showed no tumors. The doctor said the blood can sometimes hqppen from damage to blood vessels from radiation. I sure hope he is right. On to the next set of scans at the end of the month. Ugh!

Marynb

Good news so far then. Good luck for the scans

Liz

• tercure
    tercure Member Posts: 15
    Marynb said:

Scope

Great News

Marynb,

I am very happy your scope showed no tumors.  This is great news!

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Marynb said:

Scope

Marynb

That is very good news!  Your doctor told you basically what my rad onc told me when I presented with bleeding.  The radiaton thins the intestinal lining, thus making the blood vessels that line the intestinal tract much closer to the surface.  When stool passes by, bleeding can happen very easily.  I hope you can breathe a little easier regarding this issue.  I wish you all the best with the remainder of your upcoming tests and hope you'll get the all clear!

• Marynb
    pializ said:

Marynb

Good news so far then. Good luck for the scans

Liz

Liz
    Thanks! How are you these days?