Fever

Options

Soooo, for close to two weeks I have been running a pretty consistant fever in the evenings in the temperature range of 99.1 - 99.6. Most of the time I don't even realize it... but sometimes I can tell and I check my temp and sure enough...

I ask my onc when I saw him Friday and he didn't seem to be concerned about it. Said it was just probably from the inflammation of tissue in my burned neck and mouth. However, my inflammation on the outside is nearly healed (at least as far as skin goes) and then inside of my throat and mouth are MUCH better as well.

Now, I'm still not taking in more than about 800 calories a day, but that is getting better. I'm able to get more meal replacement stuff down my throat everyday and suspect that I will be intaking at least 1200 a day by the end of this week.

Any of you guys run a low-grade fever like this in weeks 7 & 8?. Just wondering what the cause may be - if different than what my Dr suspects.

God bless,

Jamie

Comments

• catluver96
    catluver96 Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Wish I could be of some help

Wish I could be of some help about the fever. I don't know if I had the same experience. I was so miserable I don't know if I would have known. What I wanted to say is that you sound like you are doing great! Keep up the good work.  :)

• katenorwood
    katenorwood Member Posts: 1,912
    Options
    I think more common than not

Hey Jamie,

I  do think this is very common during and coming out of tx's.  If the fever spikes at all 100 + is when to be worried.  I had issues with dehydration though because calorie and fluid intake were not the best.  Please keep an eye on that.  Best to you !   Katie

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options

More than likely like your MD mentioned it's just the damage that has been done, and your body repair itself.

Whether you see the damage or not, internally you have a lot going on. It took nearly a year for my blood work to come back all normal. It's a long slow process.

Like K mentioned, if it goes over 100.5 then call in..., more than likely you're good to go at the moment.

John

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Jamie

Yes I had the same problems with a very low grave fever. Sometimes I would wake up at night and my shirt would be soaking wet and I would have to get up and change it. It did this on and off for many months after all my treatment stopped and finally went away. Just make sure that the nurses who are taking care of you each day before your radiation know about the fever. Normally they will check you out and ask about any problems, or that how it was with me. Sometimes a low grave fever can be a normal reaction to the treatment because of the damage it is doing. The thing you want to watch out for is if it starts to get worse.

I Pray that you will have a wonderful New Year God Bless

Tim Hondo