Deformed bottom lip

jackflash22
jackflash22 Member Posts: 524 Member

has anyone got a deformed lip from neck dissection. After my op my lip drooped to the left really ugly and the muscle on the right side was drawn down making a line pulling my cheek down, when I talk or smile the left side of my mouth pulls down and I talk out of the side of my mouth. The right side of my bottom lip is so thin with the tightness that it pulls between my teeth. the inside of my cheek where they took the blood supply and flesh to repair my tongue is thick and scarred and I keep painfully biting it. 

I didn,t mention this before because the surgeon told me it was tempory and 6 months after the op it wouldn't,t be noticeable. it's 6 months next week and it hasn't, changed a bit if anything it's worse. 

Every time I mention it I,m told give it time, but it,s not going to improve after all this time. 

I wish the surgeon hadn,t repaired my tongue with the inside of my mouth now and did it from my arm. 

I look around the clinic when I,m there and haven,t seen anyone else with a deformed mouth like mine

Comments

• KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103
    Wonky smile

Different surgeries, same treatment.  I ended up with a wonky smile.  I can't blow out candles, whistle or spit!  I am so very glad to be here though!  I'm not one for plastic surgery but I think that they could inject something or nip tuck.  I do always get red in the crease and needed to get a cream.

• TracyLynn72
    TracyLynn72 Member Posts: 839
    don't feel bad...

My bottom lip droops on the left. Mine really started during rads and I've had people ask if I've had a stroke. Mine does seem to be getting better as time goes by...I'm 6 months past tx. 

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member

don't feel bad...

My bottom lip droops on the left. Mine really started during rads and I've had people ask if I've had a stroke. Mine does seem to be getting better as time goes by...I'm 6 months past tx. 

Some better

I recall post surgery 2 years ago, I came home and the side of my mouth where the nerve was cut not only drooped but I also drooled. Fortunately, the drooling didn't last too long...rads dried that up quickly! If memory serves me right, my mouth did not close tightly on the left for awhile. That is no longer the case. My mouth is still crooked and always will be but not as bad as it was. When I get stressed I can feel the left side draw up and my lip pull in. When I am relaxed it is better.  Not as bad when I smile either. Relax and smile!

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    better times ahead

JF,

I am sorry for these issues, dealing with cancer and the immediate side effects is enough.  I think the doctors always hope for the best outcomes and in doing so fail to mention the down side.  As you have found there are major down sides to having cancer.

Now is not the time to give-up, there could still be positive improvements with the right combinations of drugs exercise and therapy.  My condition has improved dramatically since 6 months post.  I did not get the mental and physical go ahead to eat until month 7.  Let alone my raspy voice.

Hoping for more improvements,

Matt

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    tightened muscle

It seems like the muscles along the side tightened up all the way toward your cheek. Is there any way to do exercises to stretch it out? I have some slight tightness along the right side of my neck and I turn, tilt, and stretch my head and neck to keep it flexing.

• katenorwood
    katenorwood Member Posts: 1,912
    Love how the drs. always tell us this

But, more than not they are right on.  We all heal differently, and the amount of time frame is different depending on the type of resect we had done.  You may not see many at your clinic that are having similiar issues....but I have many, many friends with the same exact issues.  Don't let this get you down, heal first.  See how far  things come back.  Also check into PT alternatives for yourself.  If this is causing quality of life issues for you, not related to cosmetic make those doctors listen to you !  Once you heal, then check out other options for yourself.  Remember you are beautiful inside and out girl never ever forget this !  My family and friends tell me I wear my scars proudly....guessing they're well earned hunh ?  Hugs sent !  Katie 

• jackflash22
    jackflash22 Member Posts: 524 Member
    Lip

I forget sometimes I,m a casualty of the war but I won the battle and what's a lip compared with what it might have been. Cancer is so sudden it's doesn't,t prepare you for the hazards it brings with it. One minute your this bright smiling person without a care and the next trying to come to terms with side effects.  I think I mainly felt alone with the lip issue because I hadn,t seen it mentioned and thought maybe my surgeon made a mistake. I feel better that others had this problem and overcome it. 

• KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103

Lip

I forget sometimes I,m a casualty of the war but I won the battle and what's a lip compared with what it might have been. Cancer is so sudden it's doesn't,t prepare you for the hazards it brings with it. One minute your this bright smiling person without a care and the next trying to come to terms with side effects.  I think I mainly felt alone with the lip issue because I hadn,t seen it mentioned and thought maybe my surgeon made a mistake. I feel better that others had this problem and overcome it. 

I forgot to add. . .

I need to drink with a straw (less liquid drains out!) and must have a napkin (or 2) at meals, half of my face, mouth is numb and I don't feel food dripping out as I eat.  Cream of wheat drains out the most!  You learn to adjust.  Enjoy some time with your little granddaughter and family.

• Ingrid K
    Ingrid K Member Posts: 813

Lip

another thing they don't tell you

Hi there, the lip thing is normal.   I have the exact same thing.   So don't worry too much. Perhaps we've never mentioned it because we all think that it's a minor thing in the big picture.  But everyone is different, so although my lopsided lip doesn't bother me, it could be a big issue for you.  Ask about exercises...it may help.

In addition to what others have stated (can't whistle, spit, lick an ice cream cone).....my lips are also numb so I can't tell if I have food on my face....I have the hubby trained to tell me when I need to wipe, LOL.

Putting on lipstick really takes some patience now...but gets better with practice.

But all in all sounds like you are doing good.   Keep it up !