Update since finishing rads

PJ47
PJ47 Member Posts: 376

Hello all, 

Finished radiation therapy and now just taking it day by day. Neck burn: switched from Alra MD wanted me to use to Calendula and it seems to be more soothing.  Must be allergic to something in the Alra.  

G-tube:  still irritating the H___ out of me, waking me up and pain under left rib, hard to get comfortable and eat much because of it. If I do not hear back from the Docs Monday I will take the matter into my own hands.

Eating/swallowing:  tried taking a Tylenol today without crushing it and managed to get it down without choking like I did on the fish oil capsule, but it did irritate my throat, so back to crushing it PRN.  Still able to eat but no room in stomach.  Lost 2 LBs in one week.  

Energy: Lower, but able to do some house work and Zumba (not able to move like I used to so I'll call it Zumba light).  

Really sad about loosing a dear friend to acute myeloid leukemia who died a month ago and her family did not let me know.

Also will miss going to Emerald Isle for the Cape Fear Contra New Years Dance, which we have enjoyed thoroughly for the past 5 years, but that seems like it would be risky since I just finished Rads and the tube bothers me.  A big adventure for me is going to the grocery store these days.

I feel fortunate not to be gagging, nauseated, and able to eat soft foods and hope this continues.  

Hoping 2014 is a better year for everyone!

PJ

Comments

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    PJ, congrats on finishing

PJ, congrats on finishing rads!  i hope you rang the bell.  sorry to hear that damn tube is still giving you problems.  that's a shame b/c usually they aren't a problem at all.  hopefully you can get it out soon since you are done w/tx and able to eat.  your energy will come back in time, just be patient.  i'm sorry you will miss the dance this year but you will be here to attend it next year and will be able to enjoy it!!  wishing you a very Happy and HEALTHY New Year.  

God bless you,

dj

• j4mie
    j4mie Member Posts: 218
    Congratulations PJ!

I am dancing around my house to celebrate for you!

Now that you have finished rads, you can rest, heal and look forward to happier times ahead. Pat finished on Nov. 20th. We are starting to figure out our "new normal", and it's really quite nice!

Jamie

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    ring my bell for you

PJ,

Congratulations on finishing, on to healing.

For me my neck burn was the worst pain, I tried all the creams and lotions and found Silver Sulfadiazine Cream to be hands down, knock it out of the park, the best.  That is just me.

As for going to the grocery store, since you are going anyway, could you pick me up some things.  It is a big deal to walk around the block.  Keep at it, the Emerald Isle for the Cape Fear Contra New Years Dance will be waiting for you when you are able.

Best,

Matt

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Big milestone

Glad to hear you crossed this one; it is big and now you can start the recovery phase. Seems like you are about par for the course and will probably be still heading for the low point but soon will be on the upswing. Keep up the good spirits and you'll be on the go soon. Don

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Emerald Isle...
    Loved that area back in the day..., it was pretty pristine back in the early 70's when I was stationed close by... MCALF BogueField..., and considered a Bogue Rat.

MCALF BogueField

I took a lot of flounder, scallops and cherry clams, not to mention many redfish from Bogue Sound back then… Beautiful Bogue by the Sea, LOL..

Thoughts and prayers your way for a great 2014 and many years beyond..

John
  • PJ47
    Skiffin16 said:

Emerald Isle...
    Loved that area back in the day..., it was pretty pristine back in the early 70's when I was stationed close by... MCALF BogueField..., and considered a Bogue Rat.

MCALF BogueField

I took a lot of flounder, scallops and cherry clams, not to mention many redfish from Bogue Sound back then… Beautiful Bogue by the Sea, LOL..

Thoughts and prayers your way for a great 2014 and many years beyond..

John

It is still beautiful and pristine

The dolphins often surprise us and some even take a New Years dip!  Too cold for me.  

PJ

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    Glad you made it through the

Glad you made it through the treatment - things can only get better now :)

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Whoo Hoo on finishing rads!!

Not having to get up, dressed and out the door every single day when you feel like schmidt is a huge break in daily life! 

Your PEG tube has been a pain, and I don't know what to say about that.....keep turning it everyday to the most comfortable position....mine didn't have a balloon, it had a bumper on the inside so it was flat in there....one thing about the ballon, tho....when it's time to come out they just deflate it (as opposed to pulling a quater sized disk out a dime sized hole in your skin). 

You're going to find that your energy and your appetite are gradually going to start coming back.  If you can get soups down do it....I think getting real food into your system gets strength started and primes appetite.  Open a can (or make a pot), and just eat 1/2 cup at a time, but eat those 1/2 cups many times a day.  Soup isn't much for a weight gainer, but it can stablize weight. 

Three weeks from now you'll look back to right now and be able to see a difference.....you'll know you're on the upswing.

p

• spector551
    spector551 Member Posts: 109
    PJ, Glad to hear it!

I was asking about you just the other day because I knew you were finishing soon... I'm glad things are relatively aggreable for you after the rads! Things are getting better for me every day as well! Tomorrow will mark the end of the dreaded week 8 for me (which was no worse than week 7)

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member

PJ, Glad to hear it!

I was asking about you just the other day because I knew you were finishing soon... I'm glad things are relatively aggreable for you after the rads! Things are getting better for me every day as well! Tomorrow will mark the end of the dreaded week 8 for me (which was no worse than week 7)

PJ

Congrats on finishing rads...the worst in now in your rearview mirror!

• PJ47
    CivilMatt said:

ring my bell for you

PJ,

Congratulations on finishing, on to healing.

For me my neck burn was the worst pain, I tried all the creams and lotions and found Silver Sulfadiazine Cream to be hands down, knock it out of the park, the best.  That is just me.

As for going to the grocery store, since you are going anyway, could you pick me up some things.  It is a big deal to walk around the block.  Keep at it, the Emerald Isle for the Cape Fear Contra New Years Dance will be waiting for you when you are able.

Best,

Matt

Ok what do you want at the grocery store?

I took your advice and applied the silvadene cream last night and wow the neck looks so much better this morning.  Went to the Interventional Radiologist at the hospital yesterday and he  suggested I keep the tube one/two more weeks to insure that the stomach does not detach from the abdominal wall and have a hole into it to cause peritonitis.  They like to have the tube in 4-6 weeks before they remove it and we were exctly at 4.  I agreed to go 1 more week  as I do not want to have sepsis and an emergency surgery as long as they took out the last 2 buttons (T-fasteners) and loosened up the tube a bit.  This was done and it does not hurt, cramp,  and pull as much.  The RN who cut off one of the buttons said it was very tight.  So I slept better and although it is still sore it is much more tolerable now.  Between that and the neck starting to heal, this is going to be a good day!

Thanks,

Matt,

PJ