Alexandra

debrajo
debrajo Member Posts: 1,095 Member

Just checking up on Alexandra...seeing how you are.  Maybe I missed you!  Best, Debra

Comments

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Yeah

me too

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    Hey guys... I'm still here

I've been in some funk. Not cancer-related. It's cold and snowing every day. As soon as we dug ourselves out of one snowstorm, tomorrow they're promising another one. I can't escape someplace warm, because my passport's expired and it takes a month to get it renewed. So I mostly hang out in the house, perfect my magic brownies recipe and shop on eBay for stuff I don't need.

I'm scheduled for a CT scan on Jan. 7th. No fear, no scanxiety...whatever, just numb.

I hope you all are doing well and getting ready for Christmas. I have my tree up for a few weeks now.

• GSRon
    GSRon Member Posts: 1,303 Member
    Alexandra said:

I've been in some funk. Not cancer-related. It's cold and snowing every day. As soon as we dug ourselves out of one snowstorm, tomorrow they're promising another one. I can't escape someplace warm, because my passport's expired and it takes a month to get it renewed. So I mostly hang out in the house, perfect my magic brownies recipe and shop on eBay for stuff I don't need.

I'm scheduled for a CT scan on Jan. 7th. No fear, no scanxiety...whatever, just numb.

I hope you all are doing well and getting ready for Christmas. I have my tree up for a few weeks now.

Hmmm... has Alice B. Toklas

Hmmm... has Alice B. Toklas been visiting you..??  Sealed   Too bad you can not travel, you and da Mr are welcome to chill out here in Cali... not as warm as Florida... but then we got Big Sur to contemplate..

Glad to see you here again...

Happy Holidays All..!!

Ron

• debrajo
    Alexandra said:

Alexandra
    So glad you are semi-ok! Come on Alexandra, pull out of the funk! You need a project, a mystery to solve, someone to do battle with! What's a little snow{says someone in coastal Texas}!
    I've only SEEN snow six times in my life{I'm almost 62} and two of those times were when I lived in Virginia! You know we all depend on you to keep us in stitches. I, for one, will be looking for something totally shocking from you soon! Best, Debra
  • ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    debrajo said:

Alexandra
    So glad you are semi-ok! Come on Alexandra, pull out of the funk! You need a project, a mystery to solve, someone to do battle with! What's a little snow{says someone in coastal Texas}!
    I've only SEEN snow six times in my life{I'm almost 62} and two of those times were when I lived in Virginia! You know we all depend on you to keep us in stitches. I, for one, will be looking for something totally shocking from you soon! Best, Debra

Ditto from me

I echo everything Debrajo said.  Do whatever you need to to feel better.  Hugs back to you.

• Alexandra
    Alexandra said:

Thank you everyone

Debra, you're lucky not to see snow often. 2 hrs of shoveling my driveway to get the car out of the garage only to come back an hour later to the same amount of snow becomes depressing. On the other hand kids can make snow angels, build snowmen, ski.

Alas my kid is 20 years old and if she is not at school, she is at the mall or at the club with friends. Parents are an afterthought when ATM stops dispensing cash.

Thanks Google, I was able to decypher Ron's obscure weed reference. PM for the recipe, yummy... Thank you for the invite Ron, last time I traveled with "da Mr." was our wedding in Cyprus and honeymoon in Greece 20 years ago. Since then I'm flying solo.

I will try to think of something wildly inappropriate to make you guys laugh. I can't make those stories up, I have to wait for them to actually happen to me. Any day now. Smile 

pot brownies

• debrajo
    Alexandra said:

Thank you everyone

Debra, you're lucky not to see snow often. 2 hrs of shoveling my driveway to get the car out of the garage only to come back an hour later to the same amount of snow becomes depressing. On the other hand kids can make snow angels, build snowmen, ski.

Alas my kid is 20 years old and if she is not at school, she is at the mall or at the club with friends. Parents are an afterthought when ATM stops dispensing cash.

Thanks Google, I was able to decypher Ron's obscure weed reference. PM for the recipe, yummy... Thank you for the invite Ron, last time I traveled with "da Mr." was our wedding in Cyprus and honeymoon in Greece 20 years ago. Since then I'm flying solo.

I will try to think of something wildly inappropriate to make you guys laugh. I can't make those stories up, I have to wait for them to actually happen to me. Any day now. Smile 

pot brownies

Alexandra

That's our girl!  The brownnies look soooo good!  Just my luck the the county mounties and Barney Fife raided the last patch of MJ out in the swamps behind my house!  Bet some of THEM are having a Very Merry Christmas.  These are the same guys I went to school with that were making roach clips out in the metal trades building!  Waiting for your next adventure.

P.S.  Don't sweat the kid...I've put five out there and you are really are better off with them at the Mall!  Did I tell you the youngest boy got a 9-point buck deer...with the truck! Best, Debra  

• lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member
    debrajo said:

Alexandra

That's our girl!  The brownnies look soooo good!  Just my luck the the county mounties and Barney Fife raided the last patch of MJ out in the swamps behind my house!  Bet some of THEM are having a Very Merry Christmas.  These are the same guys I went to school with that were making roach clips out in the metal trades building!  Waiting for your next adventure.

P.S.  Don't sweat the kid...I've put five out there and you are really are better off with them at the Mall!  Did I tell you the youngest boy got a 9-point buck deer...with the truck! Best, Debra  

Hi Alexandra

Cold and snowing day in and day out would put anyone in a funk.  Hubby and I don't live in snow country but nonetheless, I keep telling him that tomorrow is the first day of winter and the shortest day of the year.  After tomorrow, the days start getting longer again, and spring (and warmer days) will be just 'round the corner!

Kelly

• GSRon
    GSRon Member Posts: 1,303 Member

Hi Alexandra

Cold and snowing day in and day out would put anyone in a funk.  Hubby and I don't live in snow country but nonetheless, I keep telling him that tomorrow is the first day of winter and the shortest day of the year.  After tomorrow, the days start getting longer again, and spring (and warmer days) will be just 'round the corner!

Kelly

Oh my Alex... this is why we

Oh my Alex... this is why we love you so much...!!   I was at a party many years ago.. and I had to work the next (early) morning... so I only had a couple of beers... but the brownies were delicious... I mean who can resist those chocolate bits of goodness on the plate...  after I ate a handful, someone told me they had MJ in them... I was a mess... and yes I drove over 100 miles totally stoned and worked a full day..!  I still owe that guy... hmmm....

Happy Holidays All..!!!

Ron - "I don't want a pickle.. just wanna ride my motor sickle..."

• Rosamond M
    Rosamond M Member Posts: 86 Member
    Alexandra said:

Thank you everyone

pot brownies

From me to you

Alexandra, I'd love to send you another special treat

Of exchanging your freezing weather with some of our heat.

Unfortunately although I've tried, there's nothing I can do

So instead I'll  send the Season's Greetings to you!

• Alexandra
    Dark ages

We had a city-wide power outage for the last 24 hours. It just came back on.  No heat, no hot water, no lights, no cooked food, no TV, no internet. Everything is frozen solid. Cars are idling unless you dump a bag of sand under the wheels. Tree branches are breaking under the weight of ice. Most stores are closed. It's scary how much we rely on electricity. This is the view from my balcony.

imageimage

• debrajo
    Alexandra said:

Dark ages

We had a city-wide power outage for the last 24 hours. It just came back on.  No heat, no hot water, no lights, no cooked food, no TV, no internet. Everything is frozen solid. Cars are idling unless you dump a bag of sand under the wheels. Tree branches are breaking under the weight of ice. Most stores are closed. It's scary how much we rely on electricity. This is the view from my balcony.

imageimage

Really looks pretty... from a distance!  Oh yes! electricity and our  love affair!  We spent 30 days after Hurricane Rita without power, trees down, half the roof peeled back, and OMG the mosquitos !!  I missed the air conditioning the most.  Here in my part of  Texas it's not unusal to hit 100 with 95 persent humidity!  Fun times...Not!  Hope you don't freeze...we were a little cold yesterday, we only hit 72!   LOL   Debra 

• Alexandra
    debrajo said:

Really looks pretty... from a distance!  Oh yes! electricity and our  love affair!  We spent 30 days after Hurricane Rita without power, trees down, half the roof peeled back, and OMG the mosquitos !!  I missed the air conditioning the most.  Here in my part of  Texas it's not unusal to hit 100 with 95 persent humidity!  Fun times...Not!  Hope you don't freeze...we were a little cold yesterday, we only hit 72!   LOL   Debra 

At least we're used to driving on snow and ice

2 years ago in February I was Memphis, TN driving down to Jackson, MS and then to Tuscaloosa, AL when they had the snowstorm. At the sight of the first few snowflakes the life virtually stopped. Roads and bridges were closed, drivers on the freeway were hitting brakes, skidding out of control and steering in the wrong direction, scraping ice off the windshields with their bare hands, etc. Some people just left their cars and walked away. Not a single snow plow in sight. We were drinking for 6 hrs in Birmingham, AL airport, waiting for them to de-ice the plane.

Speaking of fun times in the South, our plant in Cleveland, MS spent $120K one summer on fighting mosquittos and upwards of $400K on renting 3 portable air-conditioners and diesel fuel for them. I saw tornado for the first time when I was there. It all went dark for about an hour. Also it was my first time trying crawdads. Tasty; big mistake however was rubbing my eyes afterwards with dirty hands. People were very nice and hospitable down there. They've never seen any Russians and couldn't guess the origin of my accent; depending on my mood sometimes I would claim that it's French, sometimes - German.

Back in 2009 during the big automotive crisis, I was doing a facility management project down in MS right when the company announced mass lay-offs at the factory. I will never forget one large angry dude smoking outside and loudly complaining: "I'm quitting automotive altogether. I'm going to work at the funeral parlor for job security. Them sons of b*itches will keep dying no matter what."