Nine years goes by fast, despite cancer...

BusterBrown
BusterBrown Member Posts: 221 Member
edited December 2013 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hey gang, It's that time of year again, 9 years ago I was dx's w/ stage iv colon cancer and mets to my liver. I've gone in and out of remission 4x and today finds me with several spots on my liver along with several enlarged lymp nodes. For the most part I'm pretty healthly, have little to no pain, and my over all quality of life is pretty good. Looking back at all the treatments, roughly 65 chemo treatments (folfox x2, folfiri, and ertuximab/lucevorin/5Fu), 2 5wk radiation sessions,  4 open abdomin surgeries (colon resection, chryo to liver cancer, liver resection, and a cancerous lymph removol), countless doctor visits, and plenty of mental anguish for not only myself but my wife and son, it's amazing what we can endure! Peace my friends.

Buster...

Comments

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    Congratulations. You are an

Congratulations. You are an inspiration.

• jen2012
    jen2012 Member Posts: 1,607 Member
    Congrats Buster. 

Congrats Buster.  Curious...have you stuck with one medical group?  Do you go to a major cancer center?    Can't remember if you've made lifestyle changes - diet, supplements?

• devotion10
    devotion10 Member Posts: 623 Member
    It is wonderful to hear of your long life after diagnosis ...

it does not sound like it has been easy Buster but you have a a great attitude and wonderful support.  It just goes to show that one never knows with this disease.  Your story provides hope to those who look at the stats and become fearful.  It is amazing what you have endured ... and a member of this board since 2005 ... wow. 

Peace and continued success on your journey.

Cynthia

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    9 years is a real achievement!

It takes a lot of fortitude to stick it out so long, and still have a good attitude.  You give hope to all of us who are still chugging along!

Happy holidays~AA

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Journey

Your journey has been long but sounds like you are moving forward and staying positive.  Love your attitude and your determination to get done what needs to be done. 

Kim

• lilacbrroller
    lilacbrroller Member Posts: 412 Member

Journey

Your journey has been long but sounds like you are moving forward and staying positive.  Love your attitude and your determination to get done what needs to be done. 

Kim

congrats

wow!  congratulations. that's a record for a stage IV MCRC.  Keep it up; you're an inspiration to all of us! Cool

Karin

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    G'day buster

Congrats on another year.  You certainly have done it the hard way. It is a great insight into how to live with chronic cancer. You and Philleg may well outlive us all. Not to many years ago the notion of living with cancer would have seemed improbable. Have a happy Christmas with your family. All the best ron.

• BusterBrown
    BusterBrown Member Posts: 221 Member
    jen2012 said:

Congrats Buster. 

Congrats Buster.  Curious...have you stuck with one medical group?  Do you go to a major cancer center?    Can't remember if you've made lifestyle changes - diet, supplements?

Jen,Yes, I did change my

Jen,

Yes, I did change my Oncologist after my first 12 rounds of chemo, radiation, and surgery. I got tired of waiting for my original Oncologist, the guy was always late. Life is short!  In 2006, I found an excellent Oncologist at Froedert Cancer Center in Milwaukee, Wi. It's 20 minutes from my house. I've been there ever since and I'm happy with my doctor and his staff, my treatments,  and wait times! I eat healthy and often.  I'm active, I own my own business and I work about 50hrs a week. Work keeps my mind and body moving and I attribute some of my longevity to staying busy. I have a great family, my wife of 21 years and my 11 year old are on me all the time to get moving. 

I recongize cancers treats us all a little differently, I've been fortunate that my cancer is very slow growing and susceptible to chemo. I do my best to compartmentalize my illness and visit it when I have to, and when I don't, it's head down and full speed ahead.

Buster...

• Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    ron50 said:

G'day buster

Congrats on another year.  You certainly have done it the hard way. It is a great insight into how to live with chronic cancer. You and Philleg may well outlive us all. Not to many years ago the notion of living with cancer would have seemed improbable. Have a happy Christmas with your family. All the best ron.

I believe in eliminating the

I believe in eliminating the stress and just trying to enjoy a peaceful but full life with my family m

I'm at 5 years and 1 month since DX Stage 4, and just started Erbitux. Onward...

• YoVita
    YoVita Member Posts: 590 Member

Jen,Yes, I did change my

Jen,

Yes, I did change my Oncologist after my first 12 rounds of chemo, radiation, and surgery. I got tired of waiting for my original Oncologist, the guy was always late. Life is short!  In 2006, I found an excellent Oncologist at Froedert Cancer Center in Milwaukee, Wi. It's 20 minutes from my house. I've been there ever since and I'm happy with my doctor and his staff, my treatments,  and wait times! I eat healthy and often.  I'm active, I own my own business and I work about 50hrs a week. Work keeps my mind and body moving and I attribute some of my longevity to staying busy. I have a great family, my wife of 21 years and my 11 year old are on me all the time to get moving. 

I recongize cancers treats us all a little differently, I've been fortunate that my cancer is very slow growing and susceptible to chemo. I do my best to compartmentalize my illness and visit it when I have to, and when I don't, it's head down and full speed ahead.

Buster...

Congratulations on 9 years

I love your attitude!  "I eat healthy and often" - funny - that's my motto as well.  I, too, try to compartmentalize my illness.  I'm moving to Milwaukee in the next few months.  Who is your oncologist?  

• thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member

Jen,Yes, I did change my

Jen,

Buster...

We are happy for your sucess,

We are happy for your sucess, and wishing you many more years of on going sucess!  

It is good to compartmentalize because most people do not understand our fight. That is why this forum is such a help!

We are sending our great thoughts and prayers for many more years of sucess!

Best Always,  mike

• thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Nana b said:

I believe in eliminating the

I believe in eliminating the stress and just trying to enjoy a peaceful but full life with my family m

I'm at 5 years and 1 month since DX Stage 4, and just started Erbitux. Onward...

Thanks Nana B!

You were the push that I needed to help me improve my health.  We are forever gratefull for all of your information on juicing and how it helps one to  heal. We have five neighbors and many friends now juicing and improving their health.

Best Always,  mike

PS Worst case the fresh juice tastes great!

• joemetz
    joemetz Member Posts: 493

Jen,Yes, I did change my

Jen,

Buster...

BEST QUOTE OF THE DAY

BB

I absolutely LOVE your quote:

"I do my best to compartmentalize my illness and visit it when I have to, and when I don't, it's head down and full speed ahead"

I find is so so hard to do what you've said in this short statement. But, today, i needed to read exactly what you've written... the roller coaster of cancer treatments really gets to me at times.. while other times I feel myself gaining momentum and doing really good... all to come to a situation when the cancer spreads and grows, and it takes the winds out of my sails.

thank you for your post.  You made a difference to me today and I truly appreciate your inspiration.

Joe

• YoVita
    YoVita Member Posts: 590 Member
    YoVita said:

Congratulations on 9 years

I love your attitude!  "I eat healthy and often" - funny - that's my motto as well.  I, too, try to compartmentalize my illness.  I'm moving to Milwaukee in the next few months.  Who is your oncologist?  

Thanks for the private message

with your oncologist info. 

• UncleBuddy
    UncleBuddy Member Posts: 1,019 Member
    Great news!

it's wonderful to hear about other peoples' success! Keep healthy!

Lin

• Gavin63
    Gavin63 Member Posts: 98 Member
    Love your post. You are

Love your post. You are inspirational. Wish you a long journey in life ahead, Mary Christmas & Happy New Year.  

Gavin

• Eltina21
    Eltina21 Member Posts: 173 Member
    Congratulations.

Congratulations.

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Your clock and mine are almost the same.....

Congrats on the 9 years, dearheart!  (my dx was November 29)...

Hugs, Kathi