Mom was recently diagnosed with Ovarian CA

My Mom was recently disgnosed with Ovarian Ca. I am new to this board but have used this board for my sister who recently passed from a battle with colon Ca.  My Mom had a biopsy scheduled on Wednesday. They want to start her on a clinical trial for women over 70. She will be 82 next week. They found 2 bilateral masses and ascites fluid. They also found something around the omentum area. What do you think of the clinical trials. I belive the chemo regimen before any talks of surgery will consist of Carboplatin and Paclitaxel. I would love to hear what all of you have to offer. thanks,

Comments

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    Mandygirl, welcome to CSN Ovarian board

I am very sorry about your mom's diagnosis and your sister's recent passing.

For late stage ovarian cancer with ascites and mets to omentum, like your mom's the standard treatment is 3-4 rounds of IV Carboplatin/Taxol, followed by CT scan, surgery (total hysterectomy + bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy + omentectomy with cancer debulking), followed by 3-4 more rounds of IV or IP (intra-peritoneal) Carbo/Taxol. 

I don't believe that treatment differs for older women. The clinical trials I am aware of for elderly ovarian cancer patients are NCT01471483, that involves geriatric assessments throughout the different treatment stages and NCT01366183, that involves observation of chemotherapy toxicity influence on quality of life.  I think that clinical trials is the best option for platinum-resistant recurrent ovarian cancer patients or for those women who do not respond to conventional chemo.

GA During Upfront Treatment for Ovarian Cancer

Good luck to you and your mom,

Alexandra

• mandygirl
    mandygirl Member Posts: 2
    Alexandra said:

Mandygirl, welcome to CSN Ovarian board

I am very sorry about your mom's diagnosis and your sister's recent passing.

For late stage ovarian cancer with ascites and mets to omentum, like your mom's the standard treatment is 3-4 rounds of IV Carboplatin/Taxol, followed by CT scan, surgery (total hysterectomy + bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy + omentectomy with cancer debulking), followed by 3-4 more rounds of IV or IP (intra-peritoneal) Carbo/Taxol. 

I don't believe that treatment differs for older women. The clinical trials I am aware of for elderly ovarian cancer patients are NCT01471483, that involves geriatric assessments throughout the different treatment stages and NCT01366183, that involves observation of chemotherapy toxicity influence on quality of life.  I think that clinical trials is the best option for platinum-resistant recurrent ovarian cancer patients or for those women who do not respond to conventional chemo.

GA During Upfront Treatment for Ovarian Cancer

Good luck to you and your mom,

Alexandra

thanks Alexandra, do you

thanks Alexandra, do you think smaller doses of chemo are better?

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    mandygirl said:

thanks Alexandra, do you

thanks Alexandra, do you think smaller doses of chemo are better?

Mandy, I am not a doctor, I am a patient.

You have to discuss it with her doctor and obviously respect your mom's wishes (whether she wants to subject herself to surgery and chemo at her age).

In my experience when after 3 rounds of chemo I started getting peripheral neuropathy, my ONC reduced Taxol by 20%. Which leads me to believe that side effects are dose-dependent. Before every round she will be having a blood test; if her WBC, RBC or platelet count are below normal range, chemo will be delayed by a week. Before every chemo she will be getting anti-emetics (nausea drugs), steroids and benadryl to prevent allergic reaction. The idea is to have the optimal chemo dosage enough to kill cancer cell while preserving her quality of life.