Biotene product changes? Anyone have advice?

Hi All: After using Biotene's toothpaste, mouth spray, and (especially) the oral gel for over a year now, I just had a heck of a time finding any

products left on the shelf in drugstores...amazon sellers' prices (especially for shipping) have gone way up. When I checked out online what might be happening, another

cancer survivor website had posted information that the company's has changed all of its formulas - and that the new ones do not compare

favorably to the former products.

Has anyone else encountered any information about what is going on? I feel panicked about not having easy access to these products, as my dry mouth

is still quite bad (almost 18 months out from radiation & chemotherapy, tonsil cancer, stage IV advanced).

Does anyone else have any recommendations, in case Biotene products are no longer going to be sold? I have tried "oasis" but find it

not quite as good as (the former?) Biotene products.

Any help, advice, information on this would be useful - thanks in advance to a very knowledgeable crowd of pals!

Comments

• robswife87
    robswife87 Member Posts: 209
    Rob uses

the store brand CVS spray. He did not like the Biotene. he said the Biotene was to watery and a straight shot into his throat. The store brand seems to spray the whole inside of his mouth and is a little thicker. he uses Sensodyne tootpaste, his teeth are sesntive to hot, cold and sweets still. Getting better but still hurts his teeth.

He never used the oral mouthwash. 

• TracyLynn72
    TracyLynn72 Member Posts: 839
    Act

I use Act rinse for dry mouth.  It's a flouride, no alcohol rinse that doesn't burn my mouth like Biotene did.  My dentist actually recommended it over Biotene. 

• sunshine_64
    sunshine_64 Member Posts: 50
    Biotene mouth spray has been recalled (labeling issue)

Hi All--I just called biotene - their label had incorrect ingredients listed, lawyers insisted

they pull it off the market. It **may** be back by February their help line assistant sai

Others on this network recommended ACT products--the moisturizing dry mouth rinse,

so I am refilling biotene spray bottles each morning and it seems to be working.

• jaxx7740
    jaxx7740 Member Posts: 1
    Substitute for Biotene gel

I too went thru looking for a substitute for the gel and was greatly disappointed until finally a pharmacist recommended OraCoat XyliMelts

http://www.oracoat.com/products/xylimelts-for-dry-mouth-mint  1-877-672-6541.

They are small disks that attach to a back teeth or gums and provide lubrication for about 3 hours each. Best part I use them while sleeping and wake up without dry mouth. I find them better then Biotene.

Jack

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
    jaxx7740 said:

I too went thru looking for a substitute for the gel and was greatly disappointed until finally a pharmacist recommended OraCoat XyliMelts

They are small disks that attach to a back teeth or gums and provide lubrication for about 3 hours each. Best part I use them while sleeping and wake up without dry mouth. I find them better then Biotene.

Jack

Drugstore.com

I prefer the Stoppers4 mouth spray.  The tip for it I got here from someone else.  Drugstore.com has a lot of products worth looking at.  Everyone has their favorites.  My CVS does not carry the spray, only the rinse.  Shopping online worked so much better for me.  The prices were lower and if you spend a certain amount the shipping is free.  That was easy because they carry a lot of other stuff too.  

The Stoppers4 has a nice pleasant flavor to it.  Funny thing, I've never even tried Biotene.

Good luck finding what works for you.

Tom

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    jaxx7740 said:

Jack

welcome

Hi Jack,

Welcom to CSN. Great place to be with other oral cancer patients and caregivers. Why don't you start a new thread and introduce yourself.

Don

• HAWVET
    HAWVET Member Posts: 318
    donfoo said:

welcome

Hi Jack,

Welcom to CSN. Great place to be with other oral cancer patients and caregivers. Why don't you start a new thread and introduce yourself.

Don

Tried many

I have had the dry mouth problem for many years and thanks to this forum, I have tried many of the products.  I tried all of the below products in the past 16 years:

Biotene:  Oral Balance Liquid, Oral Balance Gel, Oral Rinse and Mouth Spray

Oasis Spray

Salivart Spray

Stoppers4

XyliMelts

Before I discovered XyliMelts, I liked Stoppers4 the best, but the spray container was large  to carry in my pocket so I only had one at home and a second one at bedside.  I did not like the other sprays.  

My wife crochet'd me a pouch to carry a small bottle of water.  Oasis spray was in a smaller container which I rinsed out and filled with water.  When going out, I left my water bottle in the car and carried the Oasis Spray when in a store etc.

A year ago, someone mentioned XyliMelts in this forum.  That is presently my relief when traveling or sleeping.  I still carry my water as an alternative and sometimes use the Oral Rinse.

Here is a surprise.  My teeth used to rot and had to have fillings constantly.  When I had my teeth cleaned last month, the cleaner (forgot her title) said that surprisingly, I did not need fillings in the past year.  I had told her of my use of XyliMelts.  She said that Xylitol help prevents tooth decay.  The box does say "May reduce risk of tooth decay".   Maybe it is a secondary benefit.