Thankful ...

Thankful …

I have a lot to be thankful for this year. But after reading on here, I want to let everyone know that I am thankful that I have a wonderful doctor who cares more about the patient than the money. I trust my doctor along with his staff. They are willing to do research and keep finding possible solutions … they never give up. Even if the stats say I should only live three months and it is now over two years later since I have been diagnosed with Stage IV colorectal and liver cancer, my doctor still thinks I can go into full remission (I am in remission for colorectal, but not the liver now). In fact, even though I am still undergoing a chemo treatment (pill format), he considers me in remission because we reduced the tumors in the liver and they are not growing and can never be operated on. My doctor has nicknamed me “Thomasina” (Walt Disney movie about a cat with nine lives) and I keep asking him which life I am on, he responds that he forgot to count. Even when other doctors thought I was on my last leg, he never gave up and told the other doctors to never count me out. When I have been hospitalized, the nursing staff is excellent on the oncology floor. They care and will help any patient if they are in need (they are not territorial with the patients). The nursing staff even praises my doctor and says that he always treats them with respect and never yells at them. I believe them because I see how they interact with him. He always has time to explain something or let them learn a new procedure.

How lucky am I? Very. I never had the chance to research and choose my oncology doctor. I was unconscious at the time of discovery. I could have changed doctors later or went somewhere else, but I trust him and know that he will do his very best. He is not afraid to reach out and ask other doctors across the nation for help. In fact, he has patients all over the USA who fly to Oregon to see him. He is not at a fancy hospital with a well known name. Nope, he is where he is because people want his help. He has written a few books. He originally was a research doctor and then went into oncology later. Maybe that is why he is open to other alternatives in dealing with cancer. You talk to him, you don’t get the opinion that he is there for fame and glory. He’s there for the patient. He wants to beat cancer. He wants every one of his patients to go into remission. As long as you are willing to fight, he will too. I have a great deal with my doctor: He keeps me going and I will make his stats look good. He laughs. What he is after is a cure for all cancer. If I can help him get closer to that or help another patient, it is worth the fight.

Thank you to my wonderful doctor.

Comments

• karguy
    karguy Member Posts: 1,020 Member
    Thankful

It sounds like you have alot to be thankfull for.I am stage 4 also,but my doctor did a resection on my liver last year after srinking the tumor with chemo,avastin,oxilaplaton,5fu,folfox and now I am NED.I hope you can also be NED eventually.Happy thansgiving,and may you have a hundred more.

• fatbob2010
    fatbob2010 Member Posts: 467 Member
    Wonderful

After hearing so many negative narratives about how members of the board have been treated by their care teams makes this post so refreshing.  I have yet to doubt my care teams sincerity and hope that I never have too.  

Like so many others here, my options are slowly narrowing and the experience and creativity of this team are indespensible.  As has your oncologist published a number of books so has mine published as well.  This is one of the reasons that he caught my eye.

Blessings of health and peace,

Art