gut bacteria

Options
pete43lost_at_sea
pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member

just an fyi

Dr Giorgio Trinchieri, who was involved in the NCI study, said: "These findings raise the possibility that the frequent use of antibiotics during a patient's lifetime or to treat infections related to cancer and its side-effects may affect the success of anti-cancer therapy."

Dr Kat Arney, Science Communications Manager at Cancer Research UK, said: "There are more bacterial cells in our bodies than human cells, but very little is known about how each person's personal collection of bugs affect their health.

"These two new studies in mice explore the intriguing idea that the bacteria in the gut may influence the response to cancer treatment, but it still remains to be seen whether the effects hold up in humans too.

She highlighted that previous research has shown that certain mouth bacteria could actually fuel the development of bowel cancer.

"This whole area is relatively unexplored at the moment, and we look forward to seeing more research in the future that helps us to understand the role bacteria play in cancer and its treatment," she added.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/news/archive/cancernews/2013-11-21-Gut-bacteria-control-response-to-cancer-treatments

My interest in diet, the gut microbiome and tuning my immune system is key to my survival plans, still going well, but no guarantees.

if you are considering diet, consider the ketogenic with probiotic gut focus, avoiding infections and antibiotics well this article explains the potential issues.

Comments

• UncleBuddy
    UncleBuddy Member Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

I'll have to check this out for my brother, but unfortunately, he has been resisting changing his "way of life" from the start. He doesn't understand how important diet and exercise is, no matter who explains it to him. I think the overuse of antibiotics is dangerous, but unfortunately, sometimes it's necessary. Good luck in your search for a cure. I am counting on you to beat this!! :)

Lin

• thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Intestinal Flora balance is

Intestinal Flora balance is still a challenge for me.  After my 2010 surgery, I can not consume much sugar or I get flora imbalanced. The C. Diff. in my system flourish when I eat to much sugar.  We changed to primarily vegetables wwith a little meat a couple times a week. (3-4 ounces. 90g-120g) If I have more then 20g of sugar a day, I risk getting imbalanced.  

The Ketogenic diet worries me, because I do not digest fats well. I can eat carbos, and fruit with out gettting imbalanced. We have also cut down our carbos  since our precancer diet. Bread maybe twice a week. Pasta once a week. I feel strong and I am lean again. When my wife gets a flu or a cold, I no longer get them.  Something in our diet is working for me.  We also increased our exercise significantly.

Keep up the great info Pete!

Best Always,  mike

• pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    Options
    thxmiker said:

Intestinal Flora balance is still a challenge for me.  After my 2010 surgery, I can not consume much sugar or I get flora imbalanced. The C. Diff. in my system flourish when I eat to much sugar.  We changed to primarily vegetables wwith a little meat a couple times a week. (3-4 ounces. 90g-120g) If I have more then 20g of sugar a day, I risk getting imbalanced.  

The Ketogenic diet worries me, because I do not digest fats well. I can eat carbos, and fruit with out gettting imbalanced. We have also cut down our carbos  since our precancer diet. Bread maybe twice a week. Pasta once a week. I feel strong and I am lean again. When my wife gets a flu or a cold, I no longer get them.  Something in our diet is working for me.  We also increased our exercise significantly.

Best Always,  mike

what feeds cancer and suppresses your immune system

I accept sugar is the answer based on my research, plenty dont and that their choice.

I also am struggling daily with ketosis, but today was my best day coincidentally Glucose 4.2/keytones 3.1, I need this ratio to be less than one per seyfried guidelines, all I can do is try and hope and not die. its a fun experiment for me, i have a few friends doing this hardcore and they are doing well with metastatic, so I have hope.

I suspect one of ketogenics hidden strong points is that low sugar stop immune supression and many sugar related issues, i will leave it there, not seeking to side track this simple post about gut bugs with another sugar talk, we have been there once, and once is enough

anyway one of the supporting articles requires a subsciption, here is an excerpt

alas nothing simple about these gut bugs, whats unknown is our greatest hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da9z30QsE9k&noredirect=1 this video explains one of my current therapies using dendritic cell, its excellent , not precisely what i am doing in germany but close enough. its relevant to see why stopping systemic chemo, enhancing immune function is the via diet, slowing cancer growth by diet are apart of whats been a successful strategy so far for me.  

The Microbiota Makes for Good Therapy

The gut microbiota has been implicated in the development of some cancers, such as colorectal cancer, but—given the important role our intestinal habitants play in metabolism—they may also modulate the efficacy of certain cancer therapeutics. Iida et al. (p. 967) evaluated the impact of the microbiota on the efficacy of an immunotherapy [CpG (the cytosine, guanosine, phosphodiester link) oligonucleotides] and oxaliplatin, a platinum compound used as a chemotherapeutic. Both therapies were reduced in efficacy in tumor-bearing mice that lacked microbiota, with the microbiota important for activating the innate immune response against the tumors.Viaud et al. (p. 971) found a similar effect of the microbiota on tumor-bearing mice treated with cyclophosphamide, but in this case it appeared that the microbiota promoted an adaptive immune response against the tumors.

ABSTRACT

The gut microbiota influences both local and systemic inflammation. Inflammation contributes to development, progression, and treatment of cancer, but it remains unclear whether commensal bacteria affect inflammation in the sterile tumor microenvironment. Here, we show that disruption of the microbiota impairs the response of subcutaneous tumors to CpG-oligonucleotide immunotherapy and platinum chemotherapy. In antibiotics-treated or germ-free mice, tumor-infiltrating myeloid-derived cells responded poorly to therapy, resulting in lower cytokine production and tumor necrosis after CpG-oligonucleotide treatment and deficient production of reactive oxygen species and cytotoxicity after chemotherapy. Thus, optimal responses to cancer therapy require an intact commensal microbiota that mediates its effects by modulating myeloid-derived cell functions in the tumor microenvironment. These findings underscore the importance of the microbiota in the outcome of disease treatment.

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    thxmiker said:

Best Always,  mike

fat digestion

Mike, lipase containing supplements, like pancreatic enzymes, or prescription pancrelipase might be worth checking out.  Also bile manufacture or recycle might be an issue.  Might be an item for the natural medicine practioners.    

The common digestive supplements, betaine hydrochloride + pepsin, and some with ox bile and pancreatin, give a pretty broad chemical breakdown.   Certainly you'd need some professional support to go ketogenic.

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    blood glucose translation

For those in the US, Seyfried's target range for blood glucose with his ketogenic approach is about 55-65 mg/dL (3.06-3.6 mmol/L) AND  ketones > glucose.  Which is lower than what conventional medicine/nutrition might class as optimum blood glucose, ca 78 mg/dL.  Not disagreeing with Seyfried, just giving a reference point. The video is informative.

Also the Seyfried video mentioned some kind of keto meter like glucometer.  Not sure whether that's really electronic or colorimetric strips.  Perhaps some actual examples or brands might be discussed here.

Also I found the Charlie Foundation pages, and recipes interesting.