Something has changed

Dawn50
Dawn50 Member Posts: 122

Something has changed and I'm not sure what. I almost suspect the NSCLC has migrated to the brain. My husband has been having recent memory problems which are progressively getting worse. Out of the blue last week he started dropping things, then a couple days later he started jerky movements, his arms and/or legs seem to buckle and jerk, he will also start hiccuping out of the blue. He is having difficulty swallowing and is breathing strenuously. He tells me he sees things flying around and he doesn't like it. His oxygen levels were dropping into the low 80's while sitting up and mid to high 60's when laying down so on Monday they started supplemental oxygen and want him to take liquid morphine to relax his breathing -- he tried it once and said it tasted horrible so he will not do it again. He isn't eating and rarely drinks more than a sip or two. Today he has started falling and his ability to communicate is getting more slurred. He is disoriented and confused sometimes and other times he is right on his game. His breathing sounds like ice in a blender on high with every inhale/exhale. His legs and feet are starting to swell.

He's at nine months with no treatments after the chemo stopped working and 29 months past diagnosis. I'm trying to keep hope for both of us but realize these changes are most likely meaning the end is coming sooner rather than later. There are times in the middle of the night that I wake up because I hear nothing... and I hold my breath willing him to take one...then he does.

What do you think?

Comments

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Have you spoken with his oncologist?

Dawn,

So sorry to read about these latest changes.  If you haven't spoken with his doctor call the office- they have someone on call for the weekend.  I suspect that you are right and that he has brain mets.  There are so many things going wrong right now that I fear you cannot handle it alone.  He may feel better about walking into the ER than being transported by ambulance.  

Expect that they will want to admit him while they run a brain MRI and talk about whole brain radiation. 

Please let us know what happens.

• Dawn50
    Dawn50 Member Posts: 122
    dennycee said:

Have you spoken with his oncologist?

Dawn,

So sorry to read about these latest changes.  If you haven't spoken with his doctor call the office- they have someone on call for the weekend.  I suspect that you are right and that he has brain mets.  There are so many things going wrong right now that I fear you cannot handle it alone.  He may feel better about walking into the ER than being transported by ambulance.  

Expect that they will want to admit him while they run a brain MRI and talk about whole brain radiation. 

Please let us know what happens.

Hospice Came

The hospice RN and DR came and advised he may have only 24 hours left. The DR said she would be surprised if he was still with us in a week.

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Dawn50 said:

Hospice Came

The hospice RN and DR came and advised he may have only 24 hours left. The DR said she would be surprised if he was still with us in a week.

Oh Dawn

This is a truly painful time for the family that is left behind.  My heart goes out to you.