multi septated lesion

Amnesiac
Amnesiac Member Posts: 2

Hello all,

As these things often happen, when undergoing an MRI this week for Spinal Stenosis, the Radiologist noticed a multi septated lesion on my right kidney 5cmx3cmx5.6cm. She suggested an ultrasound immediatley to determine if it was a cystic neoplasm.

I live in Ontario Canada where health care is free, which is great, but the waiting times are not. I waited 10 weeks for the MRI after suffering with massive leg and hip pain for a year now. Misdiagnosed by 7 Dr's including an orthopaedic surgeon who incorrectly misdiagnosed twice!

The ultrasound is scheduled for tomorrow ( I got lucky and called a place and they had an immediate spot)- but my question is; is getting an ultrasound the proper protocol? Not another MRI, or CT?

I want to be as pushy and proactive as possible with this. Seeing as it may take up to a year for a Neurologist for the Spinal Stenosis I will have time on my hands to drive everyone crazy!

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Amnesiac

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    My thoughts

Am,

Something 5 cm on your Kidney should be checked out with a CT with and without contrast. An ultrasound will help, but a CT is much more defining. Assuming Kidney Cancer as a worst case scenerio you are probably stage 1 with a high 90's per cent of full recovery from surgey alone.

Icemantoo

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,042 Member
    icemantoo said:

My thoughts

Am,

Something 5 cm on your Kidney should be checked out with a CT with and without contrast. An ultrasound will help, but a CT is much more defining. Assuming Kidney Cancer as a worst case scenerio you are probably stage 1 with a high 90's per cent of full recovery from surgey alone.

Icemantoo

Order of tests for me...

An ultrasound for possible gall stones or gall bladder problem found the masses in my r. kidney and in the liver. Next was CT w/wo contrast; and then a bone scan to determine if the Stage IV had spread to any bones.  From there, it was a matter of coordinating all the correct doctors at Oregon HSU and an 11.5 hour surgery with lots of samples to keep the pathologists busy.

Seven years later, I'm still here to bug the Iceman.. :)

Donna

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Hi Am

I, too am from Ontario, Canada. On September 27 I went to my family doctor to investigate the discomfort and lump on my right side (thought it was my gallbladder).

He sent me for an ultrasound, got in within 5 days. The day after I got a call from the nurse saying that they noticed that my right kidney was "swollen" and would like to rush me in for a CT scan. I got in within a week. When I got to the hospital and signed in, the receptionist gave me a brown envelope to give to the technician. While in the waiting room, I opened the envelope and read it. It said "***Patient does not know. If you need more info call doctor's office. Large mass on right kidney. Likely carcinoma." On October 10,  I was in the doctor's office to discuss results. He is a new young doctor. He referred me to a nephrologist. I should have been seeing a Urologist. After the nephrologist reviewed the case, they called my doctor to say I needed to see a urologist. I had to wait for another week for an appointment. When I got in to see him, he said my tumor is too large for them to do (13 cm). He wanted me to go see Dr. Kapoor at McMaster in Hamilton. Another wait. On November 8 I went in to see him. He is their Superstar doctor - his enlarged photo was plastered to the elevator doors. He looked at it and showed me the scan. I was alarmed to see how large my right kidney was compared to my left kidney - 3 times the size! It has attached itself to my liver and pancreas. However this doctor was quite confident that he can still do this via laprascopy, but will be very careful removing it from my pancreas. He said that he will be able to get me worked on within a month...he said that I have had this for years and it won't be spreading in the next month.

So now I wait. I called the other day and they figure in about 2 weeks I will have the surgery - and I am high up on the waiting list!

An ultrasound will show the lesion, but it will be the next step to getting a CT scan. Then they will determine whether you need to see a nephrologist or urologist. Good luck. Be patient, but don't be afraid to continue with your inquiries....it might push things along.

Keep us posted!

Jojo

• Amnesiac
    Amnesiac Member Posts: 2
    Jojo61 said:

Hi Am

I, too am from Ontario, Canada. On September 27 I went to my family doctor to investigate the discomfort and lump on my right side (thought it was my gallbladder).

He sent me for an ultrasound, got in within 5 days. The day after I got a call from the nurse saying that they noticed that my right kidney was "swollen" and would like to rush me in for a CT scan. I got in within a week. When I got to the hospital and signed in, the receptionist gave me a brown envelope to give to the technician. While in the waiting room, I opened the envelope and read it. It said "***Patient does not know. If you need more info call doctor's office. Large mass on right kidney. Likely carcinoma." On October 10,  I was in the doctor's office to discuss results. He is a new young doctor. He referred me to a nephrologist. I should have been seeing a Urologist. After the nephrologist reviewed the case, they called my doctor to say I needed to see a urologist. I had to wait for another week for an appointment. When I got in to see him, he said my tumor is too large for them to do (13 cm). He wanted me to go see Dr. Kapoor at McMaster in Hamilton. Another wait. On November 8 I went in to see him. He is their Superstar doctor - his enlarged photo was plastered to the elevator doors. He looked at it and showed me the scan. I was alarmed to see how large my right kidney was compared to my left kidney - 3 times the size! It has attached itself to my liver and pancreas. However this doctor was quite confident that he can still do this via laprascopy, but will be very careful removing it from my pancreas. He said that he will be able to get me worked on within a month...he said that I have had this for years and it won't be spreading in the next month.

So now I wait. I called the other day and they figure in about 2 weeks I will have the surgery - and I am high up on the waiting list!

An ultrasound will show the lesion, but it will be the next step to getting a CT scan. Then they will determine whether you need to see a nephrologist or urologist. Good luck. Be patient, but don't be afraid to continue with your inquiries....it might push things along.

Keep us posted!

Jojo

Hamilton

Hi Jojo,

I am in Burlington, but I wouldn't do anything in Burlington! All the referrals I ask for are in Hamilton. Good Luck with your procedure. Its wait and see now. Great advice from all on here thank you!

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Amnesiac said:

Hamilton

Hi Jojo,

I am in Burlington, but I wouldn't do anything in Burlington! All the referrals I ask for are in Hamilton. Good Luck with your procedure. Its wait and see now. Great advice from all on here thank you!

Well we are not far from each

Well we are not far from each other on the map! I live in Cambrige. Dr. Anil Kapoor is highly regarded. It may be a bit of a wait, but you will know you are in good hands, if you can get a referral for him. Google him on youtube (not to be confused with the Bollywood actor Anil Kapoor).

Jojo