does Eligard ever wear off

Options
2»

Comments

• marymorgan
    marymorgan Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Hi JOHN I also live in Australia,, had Eligard ( 5 ) in all 6 months apart,, stopped 18 months ago last test was 00,14 not much in side effects,, but loss of sex drive,,, BLACK mood s,, no radiation, have now Diabetes T/2 and now nerve damage feet and hands,, ,,, Sleep ok will ask dR for ,, psa ,,and testosterone test,, , ,. I might get lucky thanks Bryan

• johnford
    johnford Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Thank you .. Bryan

I had the BLACK mood and depression, and now, after stopping, Eligard developed hot flushes.

I don't know if I am allowed to mention a website but here goes. I found a young guy of Greek heritage in WA at Edith Cowan University. What he has to say is spot on with me. My doctor ordered me to commence weight-bearing exercise about four months ago not because of my prostate but because he was worried about my bone density. I now have a small gym at home and walk 6 odd K every other day. My whole attitude changed, and then I find Dr Georgios Mavropalia on youtube, who confirms that doing weights and active walking will reduce the side effects as well as reduce cancer. Check him out at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efy3yrlNuBQ

Remember, doctors, want to fix the symptom .. not the problem .. be your own physician and monitor your body and check out youtube. Doctors like David Perlmutter and Robert Lustig on youtube have stuff that your doctor won't tell you.

• Willowbrook
    Willowbrook Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Was on Eligard for 2 of a 6 month shot and the hot flashes and sheet soaking sweating at night was a killer. Multiple times an hour.

Doc prescribed Megestrol Acetate - 20MG twice a day to start, then taper to 10MG/day. Total game changer at least for me. Been on it a month.

At first it seemed it made it worse if that was even possible as it was very bad to begin with, but within a week or two, I can sleep again. Bamboo sheets helped as well.

• bonscott
    bonscott Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

• bonscott
    bonscott Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Gleason score 8. Doctors suggested Radiation plus 2 year hormone therapy I agreed for the radiation but pushed back on the eligard. Eventually agreed 6 month 45mg shot. Supposed to get 3 more. I declined After almost 10 months side effects have not gone away.

• Willowbrook
    Willowbrook Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

My radiation oncologist was trying hard and looking for every reason NOT to have me do ADT as I've have bone issue since my 40's. He said he knew of a genomic test that is available and would call the company and see if it made sense for me.

Took a few weeks to get the results back that look like this...

https://decipherbio.com/dynamic-report-tutorial/

Mine came back with a 5.1% risk of the cancer metastasis in 10 years.

It says 90% of radiation oncologist recommend the addition of ADT at 5% or greater.

Yeah, missed it by that much.

I find out later the test is like $5,000. That is when I started hoping the staff got preapproval.

I was happy to have a little more science with my ADT decision which played into my decision to go with SBRT.

• Krock
    Krock Member Posts: 2 *
    Options

My dad had a PSA of 9 the doctor recommended 38 treatments of radiation Eligard every six months for two years. He started the Eligard in February. It is now June and he has finished his radiation. Along with the hot flashes and night sweats he is now developing bone pain in his shoulders, sternum legs neck just about everywhere. The doctor says it is side effects from the Eligard. He’s due for another shot in August. He’s seriously considering not having any more of the shots, he is 87 years old And does not want to live the rest of his life in this pain. He has a friend who finished his Eligard three years ago and is still experiencing the side effects Has anyone else stopped the Eligard after one treatment and at 87 years old how fast would the cancer return and spread. What have you done for any bone pain so far nothing seems to help.

• johnford
    johnford Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Hi Krock .. understand your concern. My last Eligard injection was in April 2022 and I am still getting hot flushes. My urologist says 'that is is unusual' .. which sounds more like a cop-out .. my PSA is way down but so is my testosterone .. I have constant pain in my muscles, especially my legs .. I go to physio twice a week which I think helps .. I have also changed my diet to carnivore .. apart from the muscle pain which can be acute at times and the hot flushes I actually feel pretty good. I put that down to my diet and the physio.

• Bartman
    Bartman Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

I had Brachytherapy on 1-6-21 followed by 6 weeks of external radiation. I am eight months past my last scheduled Eligard shot which the Dr. canceled after 4 injections over the course of three years. I continue to have immeasurable PSA tests. It is somewhat comforting to hear others are struggling with the after effects of Eligard and radiation as well. I am still experiencing hot flashes, night sweats and no libido. I do an hour of yoga daily and get about 8000 steps in a day. I am having trouble losing weight. I feel pretty well overall but I have lowered my expectations for a faster recovery after hearing your stories. Thank you for sharing. This 65 year old appreciates knowing how my experience compares.