does cancer run in your family ?

Options
fatimaR
fatimaR Member Posts: 2

Hi everyone,Lately i have been noticing that cancer is becoming extremely more and more common, not just ovarian or breast but all types of cancer. I was wondering how many of you ladies have cancer in your family of any type. Mine is as follows:

Maternal Grandmother- Ovarian cancer at 51

Maternal Aunt- uterine leiomyosarcoma at 40

Maternal second cousin- breast cancer at 44

Mom's maternal uncle- prostate cancer at 78

anyone else ?

Comments

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    Options
    Yes it does

Fatima get BRCA genetic testing to see if cancer is hereditary.

• fatimaR
    fatimaR Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Alexandra said:

Yes it does

Fatima get BRCA genetic testing to see if cancer is hereditary.

my mom did and it was

my mom did and it was negative.

• Loewenhart
    Loewenhart Member Posts: 21
    Options
    fatimaR said:

my mom did and it was

my mom did and it was negative.

Hello Fatima
    My

Hello Fatima

My grandomother...bowel

My aunt....bowel

My uncle...lung

My mother.....bowel

Myself...ovarian

Many other family members have no sign of cancer. They lived or are still living well into their 80's

• Glad to be done
    Glad to be done Member Posts: 569
    Options

Hello Fatima
    My

Hello Fatima

My grandomother...bowel

My aunt....bowel

My uncle...lung

My mother.....bowel

Myself...ovarian

Many other family members have no sign of cancer. They lived or are still living well into their 80's

My dads side: His dad,

My dads side: His dad, grandfather and uncle all died of lung cancer.

My brother died in 1992 of brain cancer

Me - ovarian

My father has never had or had any signs of cancer as well as my other brother.  I tested postive for the braca 1 gene and do not have any sisters or other females (I was the first girl on my dads side of the family in 92 years).  I am the lucky one I guess. 

Moms side of the family - no cancer

• lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options

My dads side: His dad,

My dads side: His dad, grandfather and uncle all died of lung cancer.

My brother died in 1992 of brain cancer

Me - ovarian

My father has never had or had any signs of cancer as well as my other brother.  I tested postive for the braca 1 gene and do not have any sisters or other females (I was the first girl on my dads side of the family in 92 years).  I am the lucky one I guess. 

Moms side of the family - no cancer

There is some cancer in my family...

But I don't know if I would say a significant amount.

Dad's side:

Two brothers (out of six siblings) - prostate and leg (in their 60's/70's)

Dad's first cousin: died of breast cancer (not sure of her age at the time of diagnosis)

Mom's side:

Her uncle: prostate (in his 70's or 80's - he lived to be approximately 91 years)

I tested negative for BRCA 1 and 2

Kelly

• poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

There is some cancer in my family...

But I don't know if I would say a significant amount.

Dad's side:

Two brothers (out of six siblings) - prostate and leg (in their 60's/70's)

Dad's first cousin: died of breast cancer (not sure of her age at the time of diagnosis)

Mom's side:

Her uncle: prostate (in his 70's or 80's - he lived to be approximately 91 years)

I tested negative for BRCA 1 and 2

Kelly

Yes

grandma..colon...her son my uncle,prostate.my late sister..colon.two ther sisters bladder..me ovarian.genectics for sure..oh..first cousin breast

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options

Yes

grandma..colon...her son my uncle,prostate.my late sister..colon.two ther sisters bladder..me ovarian.genectics for sure..oh..first cousin breast

Yep

Paternal grandmother, father, 2 of his siblings died of lung cancer.  The remaining sister has just stopped treatment for her lung cancer.  So, I was surprised to find myself with endometrial cancer.  They were all smokers ( and the men worked in trades with exposure to asbestos) so I am diligent about avoiding second hand smoke.

• azgrandma
    azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    lost 2 sisters to it

lost two sisters one, to multiple myleomonima, one to lung

• GSRon
    GSRon Member Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Hi Fatima... OK, since you

Hi Fatima... OK, since you phrased your post to the ladies... image this ugly olde cuss wearing a skirt and high heels..! Sealed

My Mom died from Kidney Cancer at age 62, my Aunt just recently died she had Breast Cancer times two.. but did not die from it.. I have Kidney Cancer (I am mo Mom's son), and my one Cousin has Ovarian.   Oddly my Cousin and I had our surgeries about 3 months apart..!  My Doctors all say not hereditary..

OK, it seems that even though many may want to get genetic testing, you do need to consider if there may be ramifications to doing that..

Be Well All..!

Ron

• Vickierph
    Vickierph Member Posts: 12
    Options
    2 maternal aunts died before

2 maternal aunts died before age 50 from breast cancer: 2 cousins on my mom's side with breast cancer - they are sisters, and are well at this time. My grandmother had non-fatal uterine cancer. My paternal aunt had breast cancer x2 with mets to bone, but Herceptin stopped it cold and she's still with us at 82. I was diagnosed with stage 1c ovarian cancer in Jan. 2013. I am BRCA negative. Vickie

• Babyg1rl
    Babyg1rl Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Hello FarimaR

I would have

Hello FarimaR

I would have the braca testing.  I did on Nov 14th and am waiting for my results.  Because I have a high cancer population on my mother's side of ther family and my mom pass away May 2012 the day after Mother's Day with ovarian cancer.  If you don't get the testing al least go an see a geneticists for guidance.  Good Luck!!

Sincerely Babyg1rl