Combining other drugs/supplements with Chemo?

I have a very close friend who was diagnosed 2 months ago. While yesterday's scan revealed a 50% shrinkage in the distant lymph nodes and liver, his prognosis is still poor...as in less than 12 months. I've been doing A LOT of reading and wondering if any of you or your loved ones combined chemo with:

- Naltrexone
- Chinese medicinal herbs coinciding with acupuncture/Shiatsu
- Herceptin
- CellQuest

If so, what were the results? Anything you'd do differently? Other suggestions? Your guidance is immensely appreciated.

Comments

• goty2001
    goty2001 Member Posts: 71
    Herceptin

Your friend will need to be tested as Her2+ inorder to be a candidate for Herceptin.  If he is, then Herceptin canbe (or has been for me at least) a very effictive treatment. Ensure he gets tested.

• dfd24
    dfd24 Member Posts: 91
    HERCEPTIN AND CHEMO

Hello,

tell your friend to INSIST on getting tested for HER2 . If he is positive HERCEPTIN will need to be included in his treatment. It is FDA approved now for treatment of her2 positive esophageal junction and gastric cancer and has given great results for about ten years in HER2 Positive Breast Cancer. It is also considered standard treatment for Her2 positive metastatic EC in Europe since about 2011.

My husband started treatment on Herceptin this year for recurrence of his EC cancer and is doing really well. Last pet scan his metastases had almost disappeared . He is now getting herceptin and chemo still.

Wish you all the best,

danièle

• dfd24
    dfd24 Member Posts: 91
    HERCEPTIN AND CHEMO

Hello,

tell your friend to INSIST on getting tested for HER2 . If he is positive HERCEPTIN will need to be included in his treatment. It is FDA approved now for treatment of her2 positive esophageal junction and gastric cancer and has given great results for about ten years in HER2 Positive Breast Cancer. It is also considered standard treatment for Her2 positive metastatic EC in Europe since about 2011.

My husband started treatment on Herceptin this year for recurrence of his EC cancer and is doing really well. Last pet scan his metastases had almost disappeared . He is now getting herceptin and chemo still.

Wish you all the best,

danièle

• Deathorglory
    Deathorglory Member Posts: 364 Member
    A couple of thoughts/ideas

Helllo,

Sorry to hear your friend's prognosis is still poor even after a significant response to treatment.  EC is unpleasant business.

As mentioned above, definitely get tested for Her2-Neu.  That should have been done at the time of diagnosis, but too many doctors overlook it; it's not too late.  Herceptin has been very effective for me as well.  I was given 7-8 months and am still testing clean 2 years later.  Also, I'd strongly suggest finding a high quality cancer center that deals with EC regularly.  Your friend's life-and-death situation should not be providing on the job training for the oncology staff.  Don't be afraid of getting second opinions.  There's a large quality difference between, say, Hopkins or MD Anderson and the average local hospital that happens to have an oncology department.  An NCI stamp of approval is a good starting point for that.  

Wishing you the best,

Ed

• mrkenney
    mrkenney Member Posts: 12

A couple of thoughts/ideas

Helllo,

Sorry to hear your friend's prognosis is still poor even after a significant response to treatment.  EC is unpleasant business.

As mentioned above, definitely get tested for Her2-Neu.  That should have been done at the time of diagnosis, but too many doctors overlook it; it's not too late.  Herceptin has been very effective for me as well.  I was given 7-8 months and am still testing clean 2 years later.  Also, I'd strongly suggest finding a high quality cancer center that deals with EC regularly.  Your friend's life-and-death situation should not be providing on the job training for the oncology staff.  Don't be afraid of getting second opinions.  There's a large quality difference between, say, Hopkins or MD Anderson and the average local hospital that happens to have an oncology department.  An NCI stamp of approval is a good starting point for that.  

Wishing you the best,

Ed

I would also add to look into

I would also add to look into any available clinical trials that may be available in your area. If at all possible ask about any of the new autoimmune trials as there have been a number of optomistic reports coming out of these trials.