Erbitux Rash Nana b check out these suggestions too

UncleBuddy
UncleBuddy Member Posts: 1,019 Member
edited November 2013 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hi guys! You were all wonderful when it came to my brother's "butt rash" from loose stools. That has cleared up and now he has the wonderful erbitux rash. We're not complaining because his CEA numbers are coming down. The doctor has ordered monocycline and a strong hydrocortisone creme and told him to use a gentle cleanser. Here's where I need your input. What would be a great gentle cleaser for him? He has the rash on his face and scalp. Baby wash, dove, aveeno, etc??? Thanks again!

Lin

Comments

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Lin

I am suffering from it now as well, but am allergic to the cycline's so having to do without.  Head and Shoulders is good for all rash areas, I use it as hair and body wash, do NOT scrub, do NOT use wash cloth etc., on rash areas just use hands.

do NOT use anything alcohol based.

Winter Marie

• UncleBuddy

Lin

I am suffering from it now as well, but am allergic to the cycline's so having to do without.  Head and Shoulders is good for all rash areas, I use it as hair and body wash, do NOT scrub, do NOT use wash cloth etc., on rash areas just use hands.

do NOT use anything alcohol based.

Winter Marie

Thanks

Winter Marie,

Thank you for the tip. The nurse told me neutrogena body wash, but there was grapefruit (I thought that might be too acidic) and a scrub (would torture him), so  I thought it best not to chance it by getting something that may end up making it worse.  

I had read Head and Shoulders somewhere else, I wonder if it's the zinc in it that helps. I will tell him not to scrub and to use only his hands gently. 

I feel so bad for him, it looks so bad on his scalp. In 24 hours, it became terrible. He gets chemo weekly, so she is going to monitor it to see how bad it gets. Right now it's grade 2. She says this is a good sign (the rash, meaning it's working). I'm sitting here beside him while he gets his treatment. I think they gave him benadryl, it knocked him out. 

I hope your rash gets better and becomes less bothersome. :)

• sdp
    sdp Member Posts: 181
    Neem paste

Try to see if u can get a neem paste - you may get dried neem powder at some indiasn shop and make a paste of it and apply it and then wash it off

particularly useful for face and body rash

Also U may get neem oil - smells a bit bad but it works 

• Goldie1
    Goldie1 Member Posts: 264 Member
    Erbitux rash...

hit my husband hard.  I'll second what Winter said, Head & Shoulders!  Also, Hibiclens (available in any drug store) helped with the cracking of skin/nails on hands and toes.  Be sure your brother wears a hat or stays out of the sun during his treatment too.  

Take care,

Ellen

• Make sure the H&S shampoo is

Make sure the H&S shampoo is extra strength zinc, use as a full body wash, no scrubbing. Rinse gently, not thoroughly. But rinse the eyes good, it burns a little.  Ask your doc about prednisone, I feel that's what really made the difference in my stage 3 rash & acne. After 3 days almost all the acne and rash was gone.  After a few weeks your system should adjust to the Erbitux and ween off the prednisone with no more rash.  keep in mind everyone is different in how they respond.

• UncleBuddy
    unknown said:

Make sure the H&S shampoo is

Make sure the H&S shampoo is extra strength zinc, use as a full body wash, no scrubbing. Rinse gently, not thoroughly. But rinse the eyes good, it burns a little.  Ask your doc about prednisone, I feel that's what really made the difference in my stage 3 rash & acne. After 3 days almost all the acne and rash was gone.  After a few weeks your system should adjust to the Erbitux and ween off the prednisone with no more rash.  keep in mind everyone is different in how they respond.

Thanks everyone!

I am sure, in a few days, he'll be feeling better. 

• UncleBuddy
    Hi guys!

Thank you for all your help. Your advice is being put to good use. I saw my brother today, his scalp and face are looking a lot better. The dermatologist is testing the pustules to make sure it's not an infection on top of everything else, but the antibiotics should take care of that anyway. It's less red and raw, has calmed down a bit and just looks healthier.

Thank you, thank you!

Lin

The dermatologist did hear of using Head and Shoulders and told us to go for it (he gave us a few other suggestions as well) if that's what we wanted to do. :)

• Hooley
    Hooley Member Posts: 156
    Wash

Dermaveen soap free wash is excellent

• UncleBuddy
    Hooley said:

Wash

Dermaveen soap free wash is excellent

Thanks Hooley

I hope you're doing well! :)

• Hooley
    Hooley Member Posts: 156

Thanks Hooley

I hope you're doing well! :)

The wheat germ soap free is very good for face and body.  My face recently got worse only cos immune system was low so got golden staph on top of lip and underneath.  I had previously had 3 rounds of doxycycline antibiotics followed by 2 of eurothrmycin and refused any more.  Sent me to,dermatologist and got a,cream.  Staph much much better.  They did cut my cetuximab by 20% which prob helped too two weeks ago.  Today went back to full dose so well see??    Keep safe 

• UncleBuddy
    Hooley said:

The wheat germ soap free is very good for face and body.  My face recently got worse only cos immune system was low so got golden staph on top of lip and underneath.  I had previously had 3 rounds of doxycycline antibiotics followed by 2 of eurothrmycin and refused any more.  Sent me to,dermatologist and got a,cream.  Staph much much better.  They did cut my cetuximab by 20% which prob helped too two weeks ago.  Today went back to full dose so well see??    Keep safe 

Hooley

I hope you're doing better. My brother seems to be doing well, for now. The rash has improved quite a bit. I will keep in mind all your great info if we need it again. :)

Lin

• UncleBuddy
    Nana b

Check out some of these other ideas as well. Maybe one of these will work for you.

• thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    I would use baby wipes to

I would use baby wipes to clean myself.  When it got really bad, a shower and Ivory or Dove to wash myself helped a lot. A lidocaine cream wipe helped a lot and then a pain releaver with a glass of wine chaser to go to sleep helped a lot also.  (I did not recomend the glass of wine.) 

I could always sleep after a quick shower and a glass of wine.

Best Always, mike

• UncleBuddy
    thxmiker said:

I would use baby wipes to

I would use baby wipes to clean myself.  When it got really bad, a shower and Ivory or Dove to wash myself helped a lot. A lidocaine cream wipe helped a lot and then a pain releaver with a glass of wine chaser to go to sleep helped a lot also.  (I did not recomend the glass of wine.) 

I could always sleep after a quick shower and a glass of wine.

Best Always, mike

Thanks Mike

I reposted this for Nana b but I am keeping all these great ideas in case my brother needs them. So far the minocycline, hydrocortisone cream and H&S is working very well. I would assume the baby wipes should be mild and alcohol free? Thanks!!

• Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member

Thanks Mike

I reposted this for Nana b but I am keeping all these great ideas in case my brother needs them. So far the minocycline, hydrocortisone cream and H&S is working very well. I would assume the baby wipes should be mild and alcohol free? Thanks!!

Thank you so much!!!  

Read

Thank you so much!!!  

Read ad thua article 

http://www.curetoday.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/article.PrintArticle/article_id/180

• UncleBuddy
    Nana b said:

Thank you so much!!!  

Read

Thank you so much!!!  

Read ad thua article 

http://www.curetoday.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/article.PrintArticle/article_id/180

Nana b

Thanks. Great article. My brother did use monocycline and hydrocortisone creme and it did help a lot. Now we have to wait to see if/when they will restart chemo. I have to call the oncologist when he's ready to leave the hospital. His rash has gotten a little worse since he went to the hospital, so I have to get on that.