Thanks to everyone.

Options

I've been lurking on this site for more than a year now. So I feel it's time to give back. Around July of 2012 I was dx with SCC primary in the right tonsil, spreading to both sides of my neck. It was determined that since I was HPV positive and had some extra weight to my frame, that I could handle an aggressive treatment. First I had my teeth removed, and then I had a tube put in. I then started induction chemotherapy, 3 medications 1week in the hospital 2weeks off, for 3 rotations. Yes I lost my hair, and every, joint in my body was in pain, even with pain meds.It was nauseating. Then I started radiation everyday for 7 weeks, with 1 day of chemotherapy thrown in their. Yes I have an perminate Sun tan on my neck. I started using my feeding tube by now. So after my treatment was finished I had to wait 3 months to do my PET scan. I'm happy to say it came back NED. I feel blessed that I was spared some of the worst side effects like some of you are experiencing. I still have dry mouth and can swallow, and for this I'm grateful. The hardest part I have is living my life and not my cancer, every time I have a sore throat, I worry. I'm slowly putting my life back together, I'm back to work as a truck driver, trying to pay off a mountain of debt that I accumulated. Thankfully I had my wife by my side. To each and everyone of you I'm eternally grateful. I don't know how I would've made it without you. I know this sounds strange but I feel like your my family. When Vivian's husband passed I cried.When To Be Golden posted his message I cried. I feel your pain. If there's anything I can do or any questions feel free to ask.

Comments

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Glad you finally told us you were here

Charles....tho it's good to know that you benefited from our discussions over the last year.  Hope you stick around more....I mean, you're family afterall....you said so yourself Laughing

Glad to hear you're getting better everyday....we all suffer a little from PTSD....once bitten, it's hard to ever go back to "that happens to other people"....I hear tho, that this part of things gets better, too.

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    charles, i'm so glad u

charles, i'm so glad u stopped lurking and decided to post.  welcome to our family!  i'm glad u r done w/tx and u got 2 meet NED!  we all love it when someone meets NED.  i hope u will stick around to encourage the newbies and help them thru their journey.  it was very good to read ur post, i look forward to reading more from you.

God bless,

dj

• Grandmax4
    Grandmax4 Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Charles

such a sweet letter, and so happy you're getting back to your normal life...I adore all the kind people on this site, they are knowledgable,giving,caring folks..we are happy, but not really happy, to have you finally "come out" :)

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Charles

You are so correct; we are all family, the ones who post and the ones who don’t post. Here we draw strength from each other and when one of us is hurting we all hurt together. I too can’t help but cry when one of us passes away, I got close to many on here and I still do. Sometimes it is like talking to a brother or one of my sisters, sometime we pray sometime we cry. I am just thankful for you my friend and hearing you are doing well. I love you picture, my grandchildren are a big part of my life and gives me a reason to keep fighting and God is my Father who gives me my everyday blessing.

God Bless and keep you and your family in His tender care

Welcome to the Family Charles

Hondo  

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    nice intro

Charles,

I like lurkers, I was a lurker, the H&N forum has many lurkers (they are the greatest)!  I used my wife as my “straw man” for valuable information from this site and now I am here, thanking anyone who will listen. 

I know we travel this road by the thousands, but when it is you, you feel alone having cancer, but after treatments end it does get better, all around better.  I am glad you are in the getting better stage and hope you are happy.

We welcome you with open arms to the forum (dry mouth, some taste, lack of spit and all).

Matt

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Well.....

It's about time you said something Charles..., we've all been wondering when you were finally going to speak..., LOL.

It sounds almost like you are my clone as for Dx and Tx, althugh I was STGIII only tumor was on the same side as my infected tonsil. I'd presume with yours on both sides, yoiu were STGIV...

But same chemo regime, and concurrent, more than likely the same meds...

lad you are doing well..., it's going to take you a little more longer more than likely to get some confidense back when you don't feel well.

Hell, I'm going on five years clean and clear, and my confidense can take a hit every now and again...

Glad you spoke up and hope you continue to participate on occasion.

Best,

John

• Hummingbird3
    Hummingbird3 Member Posts: 67
    Options

Charles,  so happy to hear

Charles,  so happy to hear you found freedom.  it's gives so much liberty to let go and just be!  I certainly have learned that myself over the last year.  im very grateful with you not only for your PET scan results but that you sound as though your pushing through those walls that we let confine us in our minds and your kicking em' to the curb and living life!  It sounds like you have an incredible support team at home also.  That's huge...hope life keeps giving to you and yours many blessings full of the little things that really matter....good health, lots of laughs and those you love!

now keep those post coming,  no MIA's allowed! Embarassed

Christie

• TracyLynn72
    TracyLynn72 Member Posts: 839
    Options
    Family.

I pray every night for my CSN family.  I consider you all part of my extended family even though I've never met any of you.  I feel pain with you and I cry often at posts....sad and happy ones.  There is so much that you can relate to, personally, on this site and you trul feel each others' joys and pains.  SO glad you posted and shared your story.  Hope to hear a lot more from you :)