tongue ang throat cancer

Options
rayj0054
rayj0054 Member Posts: 2
edited October 2013 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

im finishing uo my radiation next week finished my chemo last week caqn anyone tell me where it goes from here? ii was diagnosed with squamish cell melinoma of the tounge and throat.

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    it gets better

Ray,

Welcome to the H&N forum, where each of us have stood in your shoes.

From here on it is the slow road to recovery.  Keep treating and dealing with the side effects as they come and go.  Keep up with hydration and nutrition will pay huge dividends and keep swallowing as much as possible.

Set your recovery watch on slow, relax as best you can and relish in the fact that you beat the beast and have many good years ahead of you.

Matt

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Hi Ray...and welcome

to our little slice of the internet.....you have bumped into the BEST forum for this disease on the internet. 

Matt said it all when he said to set your watch on slow.....the first couple weeks after radiation can sometimes be the toughest, but once they are over, you're finally on the road to recovery.  Don't get your expections rolling too hard, tho....healing is measured in months, not days and weeks....My experience was that taste, saliva, and fatigue are the the three side effects that seem to hang on the longest.

Still.....YOU'RE IN THE SINGLE DIGITS FOR RADS!!!!  That's worth a waltz around the kitchen Laughing 

p

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options
    ray, u can see the lite at

ray, u can see the lite at the end of the tunnel!  it won't b long now and you'll b on the other side and on your way 2 recovery.  like P said, u measure recovery progress in months so u must b patient.  come here with any questions or comments u may have.  there's always someone here 2 help.  keep us posted of ur progress.  don't forget to ring the bell on the last day of rads!...lol.

God bless,

dj

• Sunshine60
    Sunshine60 Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Hello

Although I hate the thought of anyone having to be on this site, welcome!  The people you meet here are supportive, kind, and understanding.  I would have been horribly lost had it not been for the many cyber hugs and high fives I received while helping my husband through his treatment.  Use this forum often, it will be incredibly helpful with any questions you have as time goes on.

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options

Hello

Although I hate the thought of anyone having to be on this site, welcome!  The people you meet here are supportive, kind, and understanding.  I would have been horribly lost had it not been for the many cyber hugs and high fives I received while helping my husband through his treatment.  Use this forum often, it will be incredibly helpful with any questions you have as time goes on.

Ray

Sorry you had the need to find us but happy you did. My doctor and others warned me of the few weeks post tx and continued cooking but for me, I started to see improvement as soon as tx stopped. It's not an easy road but will be in your rearview mirror before you know it.

Candi in St Louis

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Welcome RayJ

As Matt and others have said.... It gets better.... (just really slowly).

The first month or so post rads are still some of the toughest that you've had. Even though you are done, your body is still kind of cooking from the rads.

Eventually, slowly, measured in weeks and months, you'll notice improvement. A good day here and there, a few bad, a few more good..., eventually more good than bad.

More than likely issues you are having with taste and saliva will improve, as well as most everything else.

You will have a few things come up more than likely, but these are things that we all have had and only temporary usually.

Hang tough, focus on healing, hydration and calorie intake..., and stay positive..

Best,

John

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Ray

Welcome to the club. The initation is a pain in the azz but the benefits of knowing someone on here can get you through your latest symptom is a sigh of relief. As everyone said it gets better and soon you will find your abi-normal. At least that is what is stated in this forum. Myself, I've never found or met abi and my wife tells me I am far from normal but I will search each day because treatment performed on my cancer eliminated it allowing me to search.

Enjoy today..........tomorrow you start another

Jeff