My gf has stage 1 Ovarian Cancer please help with any sugestions

Yan
Yan Member Posts: 3

Hello.

My Girlfriend was diagnosed with stage 1 ovarian cancer and has been doing chemo for 3 month now.

Doctor said there was no change since she started chemo. Cancer is not progressing and not getting better.

I read about natural way of treating OVC from different articles which came from some of the OVC Survivors. One of them is Bindweed and the other one is  Agaricus Blazei Murrill Mushroom (ABM Mushroom)

Please help with any sugestions. We live in Seattle, WA. 

Thank you

Comments

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    Welcome to the board Yan

Sorry about your girlfriend's diagnosis. It's good news that her cancer was caught early, and she has a high probability of cure.

Did she have hysterectomy / oophorectomy? Have you seen pathology report? What type of cancer does she have? Is it high grade / clear cell? That would explain chemo after stage 1. How do you know that chemo is not working? Does she still have stable measurable tumors or is the doctor's conclusion based on unchanged CA125?

There are plenty of natural remedies, but I would be careful using them while on chemo. Consult with her oncologist before you start self-medicating.

Good luck to both of you,

Alexandra

• pattysoo
    pattysoo Member Posts: 170
    Advice

I wonder what grade her cancer is? Some people with low grade tumors take a lot of time to respond to chemo, and apparently some don't respond at all.

If you read her pathology report you can find the diagnosis and then perhaps search clincial trials? I'm sorry she has cancer, but very glad that it was caught early. That gives her a much, much better prognosis.

• Yan
    Alexandra said:

Welcome to the board Yan

Sorry about your girlfriend's diagnosis. It's good news that her cancer was caught early, and she has a high probability of cure.

Did she have hysterectomy / oophorectomy? Have you seen pathology report? What type of cancer does she have? Is it high grade / clear cell? That would explain chemo after stage 1. How do you know that chemo is not working? Does she still have stable measurable tumors or is the doctor's conclusion based on unchanged CA125?

There are plenty of natural remedies, but I would be careful using them while on chemo. Consult with her oncologist before you start self-medicating.

Good luck to both of you,

Alexandra

Thank you for your

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately she keeps me in the dark and won't let me talk to her doctor about it. She is depressed about it and refusing any help.

The only thing she told me is that the doctor told her it was not progressing or getting better. 

But now that you gave me some information to look for i will look more into it and know what questions to ask.

Thank you

• Yan
    pattysoo said:

Advice

I wonder what grade her cancer is? Some people with low grade tumors take a lot of time to respond to chemo, and apparently some don't respond at all.

If you read her pathology report you can find the diagnosis and then perhaps search clincial trials? I'm sorry she has cancer, but very glad that it was caught early. That gives her a much, much better prognosis.

Thank you for your

Thank you for your response.

I don't really know much about it right now because she keeps me in the dark and wants to go through it alone.

I still want to be there for her and help her get through it. 

You gave me something to ask her about and that's more then i knew before.

Thank you

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 1,308
    Yan said:

Thank you for your

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately she keeps me in the dark and won't let me talk to her doctor about it. She is depressed about it and refusing any help.

The only thing she told me is that the doctor told her it was not progressing or getting better. 

But now that you gave me some information to look for i will look more into it and know what questions to ask.

Thank you

Yan

maybe your girlfriend would be more open to coming to the board herself and talking to other patients and survivors. Being depressed and scared and shutting down after this dreadful diagnosis is not uncommon; it takes a while to come to terms with the "new normal". A lot of newly diagnosed younger women are worried about sexual side effects of the treatment and losing their partner over it.

What you can do is give her emotional support and show her that you are in it for the long haul.

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Yan said:

Thank you for your

Thank you for your response.

I don't really know much about it right now because she keeps me in the dark and wants to go through it alone.

I still want to be there for her and help her get through it. 

You gave me something to ask her about and that's more then i knew before.

Thank you

THERE'S MUCH TO BE POSITIVE ABOUT, YAN

I agree with the other ladies - have your girlfriend join us for discussion.  While we are not doctors, we have years of experience here, and maybe we can quell some of her fears and anxiety.  I had stage 1C, and that was 14 years ago, going on 15!  This early diagnosis for her is promising.  I know that she is young and afraid, but we can at least filter out some of the 'unnecessary' worries and help her to move forward.  I'm sure it would help you also.

God bless you for being there for your girlfriend.  Support is key in getting through these situations.  Till then, sending prayers and hugs to you both.

Monika