Mouth sores

Options

Hi All:

Well, my mom has entered into her third week of a six week chemo and radiation treatment schedule. She managed to get the Mugard (during the second week of treatment). I am worried that the damage had already been done. She has had to start using the PEG tube, because her mouth hurts so badly. She is currently using both the Magic Mouth Wash and the MuGard. It has been about 4 - 5 days and she said that her mouth still hurts really badly. Is there anything else she can try?

Thank you.

-Robin

Comments

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    When I had really bad mouth sores

during the adjuvant chemo part of my treatment, I used L-glutamine powder mixed with water....I don't know what all it does for healing them, but it was the one thing I could put into my mouth that didn't sting, and allow my swallower to keep on swallowing.  At that time I couldn't even handle plain water in my mouth....and the only thing I could stand to drink from was a styrofoam cup, since my lips were like hamburger.   You can get L-glutamine powder at the health food store.

p

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    salt - baking soda

If she has sores or ulcers try a 50/50 salt/baking soda mix in warm water. Works great at soothing things a bit and helping with the healing.

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    donfoo said:

salt - baking soda

If she has sores or ulcers try a 50/50 salt/baking soda mix in warm water. Works great at soothing things a bit and helping with the healing.

Sorry to hear

You said her mouth is sore, if it is her tongue, make certain it isn't thrush.

• J.R. and June
    J.R. and June Member Posts: 60
    Options
    hwt said:

Sorry to hear

You said her mouth is sore, if it is her tongue, make certain it isn't thrush.

Thank you - HWT

I don't think that she has any sores on her tongue. I will be sure to ask her tough.

• J.R. and June
    Options

Thank you - HWT

I don't think that she has any sores on her tongue. I will be sure to ask her tough.

Thanks, P and Donfoo

I just bought the L-Glutamine.

She mentioned using the baking powder solution, but I will check to make sure. She lives 2 hours away, so it is tough to monitor from afar.

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options

Thanks, P and Donfoo

She mentioned using the baking powder solution, but I will check to make sure. She lives 2 hours away, so it is tough to monitor from afar.

Another..

I never had the mough sores, but my rinse and spit mixture was baking soda and hydrogen peroxide....

About 1/3 glass of water, a teaspoon of baking soda and teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide.

John

• J.R. and June
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Another..

I never had the mough sores, but my rinse and spit mixture was baking soda and hydrogen peroxide....

About 1/3 glass of water, a teaspoon of baking soda and teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide.

John

Thank you

Thanks, John. This is very helpful info.

• ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Ice cold water

None of this might work for head and Neck patients, perhaps the first few infusions for future reference. Just read this in the current issue of "CURE" (which are usually laying around cancer centers in case she can pick one up.) It seems that all metal based chemo therapies cause mouth sores. The best time to combat the effect is during the infusion. People who chewed ice chips or drank ice cold water reduced mouth sores by 33%. Something about reducing blood flow/exposure by cooling the tissue. I don't really understand the mechanics of this??   Of course we  have radiation damage  and drinking anything is next to impossible. Your mom is likely past this stage.  Hurricane spray, a numbing spray helped with eating until the later stages of pain for me. Keep up the support!

• DaveRJ
    DaveRJ Member Posts: 9
    Options

Thanks, P and Donfoo

Mouth sores

Speaking from experience, L-Glutamine is good but 1000 times less effective than a product called HEALIOS that contains the L-Glutamine plus special disaccharides that enhance absorption.  I heard about this product from a another patient.  It was a godsend.  All natural and you can find it online.  People who undergo radiation or chemo will get bad mouth sores called mucositis or sometimes esophogitis if deeper down the throat.  The cells of the mouth are quickly dividing (just like cancer cells) so the chemo and radiation stresses those cells big time.  The HEALIOS works by preventing the damage from progressing and healing the already damaged cells by shuttling extra nitrogen to them.  I definitely would have needed a feeding tube had I not gotten my hands on this stuff in time.  Best of luck to everyone.

My Cancer Timeline

2/11:  ENT Doc performs biopsy of swollen lymph node; pathology report finds “atypical cells.”

4/5:  Surgery—Excision biopsy to remove lymph node which measured 3.5 x 2 x 2 cm.

4/9: CANCER DIAGNOSIS—

Surgical Pathology = Metastatic Poorly Differentiated Squamous Cell Carcinoma (TxN1, Level 2, Stage 3)

4/16: Full PET/CT Scan

5/10:  Surgery— 16 biopsies to throat and tongue + tonsillectomy.

6/5 (my 44th birthday): Started Radiation.  Duration = 10 minutes every week day for 6 weeks.  Specifically, Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) consisting of 6300 cGy in 30 fractions to the right neck and 6000 cGy in 30 fractions to areas of potential primary tumor site.

7/17 Completed Radiation Therapy

9/30 Larnygoscopy tests look good thus far.

10/14 Full PET/CT Scan scheduled.

• J.R. and June
    Options
    DaveRJ said:

Mouth sores

Speaking from experience, L-Glutamine is good but 1000 times less effective than a product called HEALIOS that contains the L-Glutamine plus special disaccharides that enhance absorption.  I heard about this product from a another patient.  It was a godsend.  All natural and you can find it online.  People who undergo radiation or chemo will get bad mouth sores called mucositis or sometimes esophogitis if deeper down the throat.  The cells of the mouth are quickly dividing (just like cancer cells) so the chemo and radiation stresses those cells big time.  The HEALIOS works by preventing the damage from progressing and healing the already damaged cells by shuttling extra nitrogen to them.  I definitely would have needed a feeding tube had I not gotten my hands on this stuff in time.  Best of luck to everyone.

My Cancer Timeline

2/11:  ENT Doc performs biopsy of swollen lymph node; pathology report finds “atypical cells.”

4/5:  Surgery—Excision biopsy to remove lymph node which measured 3.5 x 2 x 2 cm.

Surgical Pathology = Metastatic Poorly Differentiated Squamous Cell Carcinoma (TxN1, Level 2, Stage 3)

6/5 (my 44th birthday): Started Radiation.  Duration = 10 minutes every week day for 6 weeks.  Specifically, Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) consisting of 6300 cGy in 30 fractions to the right neck and 6000 cGy in 30 fractions to areas of potential primary tumor site.

Thanks, Dave

Do you happen to have a brand name for Healios? I didn't have much luck finding it on the internet. Thank you.

• J.R. and June
    Options
    DaveRJ said:

Mouth sores

My Cancer Timeline

Thanks, Dave

Do you happen to have a brand name for Healios? I didn't have much luck finding it on the internet. Thank you.

• J.R. and June
    Options
    ratface said:

Ice cold water

None of this might work for head and Neck patients, perhaps the first few infusions for future reference. Just read this in the current issue of "CURE" (which are usually laying around cancer centers in case she can pick one up.) It seems that all metal based chemo therapies cause mouth sores. The best time to combat the effect is during the infusion. People who chewed ice chips or drank ice cold water reduced mouth sores by 33%. Something about reducing blood flow/exposure by cooling the tissue. I don't really understand the mechanics of this??   Of course we  have radiation damage  and drinking anything is next to impossible. Your mom is likely past this stage.  Hurricane spray, a numbing spray helped with eating until the later stages of pain for me. Keep up the support!

Thank you, ratface

We are willing to try anything. I appreciate your input. The magazine sounds very interesting.

• DaveRJ
    Options

Thanks, Dave

www.healiosproducts.com

www.healiosproducts.com they have it in two flavors.  Check it out.  I know the other patients swear by it; and I do too.

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options

Thank you, ratface

We are willing to try anything. I appreciate your input. The magazine sounds very interesting.

It's Free
    To cancer patients, care givers & survivors...

CURE

JG
  • J.R. and June
    Options
    Good Stuff!

Thank you so much everyone for all of your support. I have ordered the Healios  (http://healiosproducts.com/). It looks like a wonderful product as Dave said it increases the absorption rate of the Glutamine by 1,000. I also sent her the L-Glutamine to start with. I bought a bottle from GNC. I sent that next day and she should get the Healios in 3 days. I think I ordered the grape flavor, which she can't really taste anything, so I am not sure it matters which one I went with. 

I also ordered the CURE magazine.

I will be sure to keep Y'all posted on the progress.

Best regards,

-Robin

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    DaveRJ said:

www.healiosproducts.com

www.healiosproducts.com they have it in two flavors.  Check it out.  I know the other patients swear by it; and I do too.

Don't know if this is the same

link as above....but it's the only thing I could find on the internet...

http://www.helioshealthproducts.com/content/Helios_uses_and_applications.pdf

• DaveRJ
    Options

Good Stuff!

Thank you so much everyone for all of your support. I have ordered the Healios  (http://healiosproducts.com/). It looks like a wonderful product as Dave said it increases the absorption rate of the Glutamine by 1,000. I also sent her the L-Glutamine to start with. I bought a bottle from GNC. I sent that next day and she should get the Healios in 3 days. I think I ordered the grape flavor, which she can't really taste anything, so I am not sure it matters which one I went with. 

I also ordered the CURE magazine.

I will be sure to keep Y'all posted on the progress.

Best regards,

-Robin

Great!

Sounds like she has everything she needs!  Make sure she takes the Healios as instructed, twice per day even for a week or two AFTER she finishes radiation as the temporary side effects keep lasting even after radiation is finished.  I think it helped protect/heal my taste buds as I was able to start tasting my food again right after radiation when the normal time, my radiation oncologist said, is 7-9 months after treatment to get most of your taste buds back most of the time.  I also took some broken cell wall chlorella tablets each day after radiation that I believe helped heal my body from the radiation poisoning.

What people without cancer don't understand is that being able to taste your food is not just a delightful pleasure or a luxury...if you can't taste your food it will be like trying to eat dirt.  You won't do it and you will inadvertently starve yourself to the point of needing a feeding tube.

Please keep me posted on her progress.

Regards,

-Dave.

• J.R. and June
    Options
    DaveRJ said:

Great!

Sounds like she has everything she needs!  Make sure she takes the Healios as instructed, twice per day even for a week or two AFTER she finishes radiation as the temporary side effects keep lasting even after radiation is finished.  I think it helped protect/heal my taste buds as I was able to start tasting my food again right after radiation when the normal time, my radiation oncologist said, is 7-9 months after treatment to get most of your taste buds back most of the time.  I also took some broken cell wall chlorella tablets each day after radiation that I believe helped heal my body from the radiation poisoning.

What people without cancer don't understand is that being able to taste your food is not just a delightful pleasure or a luxury...if you can't taste your food it will be like trying to eat dirt.  You won't do it and you will inadvertently starve yourself to the point of needing a feeding tube.

Please keep me posted on her progress.

Regards,

-Dave.

Hi Dave

It looks like they probably sell the broken cell wall Chlorella tablets at the health food store. Is there a certain brand you would recommend? Or, a website if I need to order them online?

Gracias!

-Robin

• Ruben and Jude
    Ruben and Jude Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Mouth and tongue sores

Ruben had both mouth and tongue sores. We tried everything mentioned, except Mugard. What worked for him was chloreseptic mouth spray and Abreva (for cold sores). Both are over the counter. Abreva says it's not for the oral cavity, but what the heck, we tried it and it worked! I figured if you can use it on your lips, why not the tongue/mouth.

Also, he used (and still does to this day) Colgate Peroxyl mouth sore rinse. Not only does it help with the mouth sores, but it greatly reduces the bacteria that causes tooth decay and mouth sores.

Hope this helps. (BTW, Abreva costs about $20, Colgate 16 fl oz $10, Chloreseptic spray about $7)

ruben and (me) jude

• dunedintech
    dunedintech Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Oral Lotion + Bicarb Rinses

Really sorry to hear about your Mother. When I was in the midst of it I rinsed wtih bicarb soda mix at least 10 times a day. I was also prescribed Oral Lotion Aid which is applied to the ulcers / hot spots. It is a Lignocaine mix and seemed to work for me by numbing the pain. Hopefully you can get some prescribed there.