Low white blood cell count - no second round of chemo?

Hi All - My mom is currently in Week 4 of 7 for treatment of her stage 4 NPC Cancer. So far, she has all the side effects that everyone has spoken about in this forum. Her pain level is not very high yet and she got her PEG tube in last week. She can still eat very small amounts of liquid through her mouth, but takes the majority of feedings through her tube. Her oncologist told her that her white blood cell count was too low to do the second round of chemo - has this happened to anyone else? he said it would not impact her treatment or prognosis since the dosage given is a standard dose that isn't adjusted for other factors but i find it hard to believe that this won't delay her treatment. Any thoughts? thanks everyone, this forum is a hidden gem.

Comments

• longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    This kind of problem is very common

And the white count parameters need respected.  There are a number of treatment protocals.  Some call for doseage reducttion below a certain level of WBC, and atime delay if the number is even lower.  Radiation continues apace, but they cannot, or should they redose with whatever agent causes the low count, until such time as that count recovers. The total treatment time should work out about the same, as they are not likely to just keep giving chemo way beyond the end of rads. They will likely be rechecking her WBC's at least every week right  now. 

Pat

• Ladylacy
    Ladylacy Member Posts: 773 Member
    Delayed Chemo

Unfortunately it is not unusual to have chemo delayed due to low blood count.  My husband's was the first time around.  It was only delayed one week and then the oncologist decided to divide the dosage up, half one week and the other half the next.  Sometimes though people end up in the hospital because of low blood count.  My aunt and sister both ended up in the hospital for more than one week due to this. 

Chemo has many side effects and this is just one of them.  Sometimes they have to have blood transfusions and there is medicine that is used to bring the counts up and given before chemo.  I know my sister had to have it but I don't remember the name.  The delay doesn't change anything.

Wishing the best  -- Sharon

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Neulasta...

Have you discussed Neulasta with the MD's or they you...?

John

• Ruben and Jude
    Ruben and Jude Member Posts: 155
    low wbc

My husband is a big strong guy, and before his third round of chemo, they delayed it twice. When his count came up and the chemo was back on I asked if the third dose was going to b as strong as the last, the answer was "why yes, why not?".  Really, why not, how about you knocked his whites in the dirt with the first and second round and put him in renal failure for 4 days!  The MD then checked wih his superior.... dose was lowered. Moral of story, don't b afraid to ask without fear. You r the advocate, don't hold back.

P.S.  there was no delay in the proposed date of end of treatment.

B strong,,, take care... God bless.

Jude

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member

low wbc

My husband is a big strong guy, and before his third round of chemo, they delayed it twice. When his count came up and the chemo was back on I asked if the third dose was going to b as strong as the last, the answer was "why yes, why not?".  Really, why not, how about you knocked his whites in the dirt with the first and second round and put him in renal failure for 4 days!  The MD then checked wih his superior.... dose was lowered. Moral of story, don't b afraid to ask without fear. You r the advocate, don't hold back.

P.S.  there was no delay in the proposed date of end of treatment.

B strong,,, take care... God bless.

Jude

WBC

After my first dose of Cisplatin, I got a lower dose more frequently. My count was low at the end and I did not get the last dose at all. My doctor's decision, not mine.