Mouth ulcer WHICH not going away

After my husband’s neck dissection he discover mouth ulcer in is right side of tonsil area where cancer was originate in (END OF July). He was telling his all doctors including oncologist, ENT and they all said it’s just side effect of radiation. My husband has his ENT appointment last week and now ENT want to do biopsy in that area and his radiation oncologist is concern about doing biopsy on radiation area. Does nay one had experience with this about Mouth ulcer and biopsy on radiation area? Anything will be helpful.

Thanks, Hetal

Comments

• longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Not much fun, living through this time period

because it lacks a discrete ending.  It is entirely possible your husband's ulcer is still just healing from the rads.  I had a lot of those, and they took prolly six months to heal completely.  And they look pretty ugly while they are there.  It isn't wrong to give this some more time, say a few more months to heal prior to biopsy.  OTOH, biopsies of this ara are small, on the order of several millimeters, and they do heal ok, just not very fast as you might imagine.  One  of the risks of early biopsy is that the pathologist gets a tissue sample that simply shows a lot of inflammation, without being definitive.  Then the biopsy hasn't helped one way or the other.

This could be done either way, so  my opinion on which  way  isn't voiced, because its only an opinion.  Best to you both.

Pat

• hsnmp1978
    hsnmp1978 Member Posts: 44

Not much fun, living through this time period

because it lacks a discrete ending.  It is entirely possible your husband's ulcer is still just healing from the rads.  I had a lot of those, and they took prolly six months to heal completely.  And they look pretty ugly while they are there.  It isn't wrong to give this some more time, say a few more months to heal prior to biopsy.  OTOH, biopsies of this ara are small, on the order of several millimeters, and they do heal ok, just not very fast as you might imagine.  One  of the risks of early biopsy is that the pathologist gets a tissue sample that simply shows a lot of inflammation, without being definitive.  Then the biopsy hasn't helped one way or the other.

This could be done either way, so  my opinion on which  way  isn't voiced, because its only an opinion.  Best to you both.

Pat

Thanks Pat

Thanks Pat