Anyone with P-16 know their EGFR and type of SCC?

I have read my biopsy pathology report and the tumor excision and neck dissection pathology reports and cannot find any notation about the EGFR.  Have read the ratio of High P16 and low EGFR is a good indicator.  Also have seen nothing about the type of SCC classification basil, adeno, VCC, etc.  I do not know if this is routinely done on path reports but it will help guide my radiation oncologist for treatments.  I have called the ENT clinic at Vandy and left a msg asking for a call back to ask these ?s but have not heard back yet.  Any guidance about how to find out this information is appreciated.  PJ

Comments

• denistd
    denistd Member Posts: 597
    EGFR

As far as I know EGFR is a renal measurement. Normal is 60, anything under 60 is an indicator of supressed kidney function. Not good to be low.

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    denistd said:

EGFR

As far as I know EGFR is a renal measurement. Normal is 60, anything under 60 is an indicator of supressed kidney function. Not good to be low.

No help

Sorry no help here, I was just told mine was SCC without any other details

• denistd
    denistd Member Posts: 597
    hwt said:

No help

Sorry no help here, I was just told mine was SCC without any other details

Questions

I am confused a little, Pat LongTermSurvivor can set you straight. I think SCC id SCC, you mention adeno, that's another type of cancer. Are you sure you don't mean HPV16, that's a virus that can contribute to the cause of oral cancer. AS I said EGFR is a number for renal function, another number for renal function is your creatinine levels, high for them is not good. I suggest you google your questions.

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    denistd said:

Questions

I am confused a little, Pat LongTermSurvivor can set you straight. I think SCC id SCC, you mention adeno, that's another type of cancer. Are you sure you don't mean HPV16, that's a virus that can contribute to the cause of oral cancer. AS I said EGFR is a number for renal function, another number for renal function is your creatinine levels, high for them is not good. I suggest you google your questions.

denis, u mention EGFR.  i see

denis, u mention EGFR.  i see GFR MDRD on a recent blood test.  is that the same as EGFR?  MY NUMBER IS 91 and if the number is under 90 it can indicate renal trouble.

dj

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    GFR

Not sure if you have had chemo as of yet, but my GFR was all over the place during chemo.

Afterwards it is back at 93 most of the time...

• PJ47
    PJ47 Member Posts: 376
    denistd said:

EGFR

I may have answered my own

I may have answered my own question.  EGFR is Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor.  It can be usefull in determining treatment choice since if HPV-16 + is high and the EGFR is low the prognosis is better.  Some chemo will work with Low EGHR and some will not.  I recall asking my surgeon if they tested my tumor biopsy samples for thiis and he said no so I asked again before surgery to have this tested.  Vandy has a lot of tumor specimines so I will ask again for them to test for this if they have not done so already.

• PJ47
    To clarify the SCC classification

There are several types of SCC classifications;

1.Conventional

2.Verrucous

3.Basaloid

4.Papillary

5.Adenosquamous

6.Spindal cell

and maybe one other typr I can't recall.  Anyway, they all have a different prognosis and treatment needs which was why I way asking.  PJ

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    PJ47 said:

To clarify the SCC classification

There are several types of SCC classifications;

1.Conventional

2.Verrucous

3.Basaloid

4.Papillary

5.Adenosquamous

6.Spindal cell

and maybe one other typr I can't recall.  Anyway, they all have a different prognosis and treatment needs which was why I way asking.  PJ

Classifications

Classification

• Papillary thyroid carcinoma (Code 8050/3)
    • Verrucous squamous cell carcinoma (Code 8051/3)
    • Papillary squamous cell carcinoma (Code 8052/3)
    • Squamous cell carcinoma (Code 8270/3)
    • Large cell keratinizing squamous cell carcinoma (Code 8071/3)
    • Large cell nonkeratinizing squamous cell carcinoma (Code 8072/3)
    • Small cell keratinizing squamous cell carcinoma (Code 8073/3)
    • Spindle cell squamous cell carcinoma (Code 8074/3)
    • Adenoid/pseudoglandular squamous cell carcinoma (Code 8075/3)
    • Intraepidermal squamous cell carcinoma (Code 8081/3)
    • Lymphoepithelial carcinoma (Code 8082/3)

Other variants of squamous cell carcinoma are recognized under other systems, such as:

You are the first person that I recall that has ever asked a question about EGFR.. Like others I thought you meant eGFR.

JG

• PJ47
    Skiffin16 said:

Classifications

Classification

• Papillary thyroid carcinoma (Code 8050/3)
    • Verrucous squamous cell carcinoma (Code 8051/3)
    • Papillary squamous cell carcinoma (Code 8052/3)
    • Squamous cell carcinoma (Code 8270/3)
    • Large cell keratinizing squamous cell carcinoma (Code 8071/3)
    • Large cell nonkeratinizing squamous cell carcinoma (Code 8072/3)
    • Small cell keratinizing squamous cell carcinoma (Code 8073/3)
    • Spindle cell squamous cell carcinoma (Code 8074/3)
    • Adenoid/pseudoglandular squamous cell carcinoma (Code 8075/3)
    • Intraepidermal squamous cell carcinoma (Code 8081/3)
    • Lymphoepithelial carcinoma (Code 8082/3)

Other variants of squamous cell carcinoma are recognized under other systems, such as:

You are the first person that I recall that has ever asked a question about EGFR.. Like others I thought you meant eGFR.

JG

Thought it would be relevant

Thought it would be relevant to know based on prognosis and treatment issues.  I guess most of us just don't ask detailed questions and I do not know if all pathologists are good at differentiating class. of SCC.  PJ

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    PJ47 said:

Thought it would be relevant

Thought it would be relevant to know based on prognosis and treatment issues.  I guess most of us just don't ask detailed questions and I do not know if all pathologists are good at differentiating class. of SCC.  PJ

LOL...I didn't know there

were so many types of SCC....and I didn't think to ask what type at the time of diagnosis....wanted to know where it was....and what the treatment was.....I just wanted it gone.  Finding all this stuff out on my own would have sent me to the internet, and I'd already scared myself half to death doing that....

p

• Laralyn
    Laralyn Member Posts: 532
    I did a lot of research into

I did a lot of research into lung cancer, since my mom had it. The questions you're asking are very relevant for treating it. The type + mutation (EGFR, ALK, etc.) make a tremendous difference in the treatment options and potential outcomes. Here's an article explaining it.

I've never seen any kind of article with that kind of mutation study for H&N SCC, though. The only factor that I've seen in studies that makes a different in treatments for H&N SCC is HPV status, alone. I'm not saying studies aren't out there... but I haven't seen any. 

Even if the pathology report is positive for HPV, it doesn't always influence the treatment--it really depends on the doctors. In my case, for example, both the radiation and medical oncologists believed my age plus the HPV+ biopsy meant I could have smaller, weekly doses of cisplatin rather than the three larger doses. Other people with very similar diagnoses (tonsillar HPV+ Stg IV SCC) were given the traditional three doses of cisplatin. Others had erbitux. So I don't think even HPV status--the one mutation they seem to test for in H&N cancers--makes a radical difference in chemo type or dosage the way it has started to in lung cancer treatments.

Hope this helps! 

• robswife87
    robswife87 Member Posts: 209
    Laralyn said:

I did a lot of research into

I did a lot of research into lung cancer, since my mom had it. The questions you're asking are very relevant for treating it. The type + mutation (EGFR, ALK, etc.) make a tremendous difference in the treatment options and potential outcomes. Here's an article explaining it.

I've never seen any kind of article with that kind of mutation study for H&N SCC, though. The only factor that I've seen in studies that makes a different in treatments for H&N SCC is HPV status, alone. I'm not saying studies aren't out there... but I haven't seen any. 

Even if the pathology report is positive for HPV, it doesn't always influence the treatment--it really depends on the doctors. In my case, for example, both the radiation and medical oncologists believed my age plus the HPV+ biopsy meant I could have smaller, weekly doses of cisplatin rather than the three larger doses. Other people with very similar diagnoses (tonsillar HPV+ Stg IV SCC) were given the traditional three doses of cisplatin. Others had erbitux. So I don't think even HPV status--the one mutation they seem to test for in H&N cancers--makes a radical difference in chemo type or dosage the way it has started to in lung cancer treatments.

Hope this helps! 

Positive or negative HPV

We were told HPV + or -, treatment was the same, just prognosis was better in +.

Rob had Taxol and Carbo for 7 weeks. Not sure why different people have different treatment but if it kills the beast, I don't care