Hello, having problems with eyes

IE_Hope
IE_Hope Member Posts: 43

Hello my beautiful Pink Ladies,   havne't been on in a while.  Noticing that after my second Chemo my eyes have been effected.  They water, the corners turn red, and I have pain under the the inside corner of the eye on both sides of the nose area.  To top things off I am a diabetic have already had Laser surgery to stop some bleeding behind the eye, fun fun  is there any other little side effects I have looking forward to getting? Ohh I did lose my hair and I am still alive  lol  

De

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    De ...

Please please please speak with your Oncologist - I had eye dripping for months - even after my chemo stopped ..  My nose dripped uncontrollably for months as well. Side efforts from chemo - Yuk!!

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam

• kamcat1962
    kamcat1962 Member Posts: 40
    Eyes

Dear De,

Always good to hear from a sister that is alive! Bless you.  Yes, I too had some issues first with watery eyes and crusty corners when I would wake up even from a nap.(and drippy nose, still) I was told it was the chemo and to carry some tissues.  Now with this chemo my eyes are dry and I have blurry vision (neuropathy drug ?) I have been told it is the chemo and now use eye drops!?!?  As my lovely mother use to say "half a dozen of one and six of the other" LOL  However you sound like you have had some serious eye issues and it would be best to talk to your onco or an opthalmologist (not an optometrist) they may be able to give you an idea.  Hope all goes well with your treatment.  StayStrong, Stay Alive. Prayers of hope and faith for you. Cathy K.

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    With diabetes, you must see

With diabetes, you must see an ophthalmologist asap.  Do not see an optometrist because this may be beyond their scope--you need an MD with your medical history.  I just finished taxotere and also had the eye and nose running.  I had swollen areas under lids, redness, and weird numerous inner lid pustules--some of which that were large and painful.  I saw the ophthalmologist last week and was diagnosed with blepharitis (inflammation/infection of the eyelids).  She prescribed drops and medicated wipes.  I can't guess what you have, but infections are common with many chemotherapy patients and, of course, also common with diabetes!

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member

With diabetes, you must see

With diabetes, you must see an ophthalmologist asap.  Do not see an optometrist because this may be beyond their scope--you need an MD with your medical history.  I just finished taxotere and also had the eye and nose running.  I had swollen areas under lids, redness, and weird numerous inner lid pustules--some of which that were large and painful.  I saw the ophthalmologist last week and was diagnosed with blepharitis (inflammation/infection of the eyelids).  She prescribed drops and medicated wipes.  I can't guess what you have, but infections are common with many chemotherapy patients and, of course, also common with diabetes!

Good advice CC.  Between the

Good advice CC.  Between the diabetes and chemo, she needs to consult with an opthamologist right away.  I never had chemo but I do had blepharatis. Have had it for years.  i do the scrubs and also warm compresses in the morning and evening and I still get eye infections.  Just had one two weeks ago.  for my scrubs I use both wipes you can buy and dilated baby shampoo.   Because I have Muir torre syndrom I have to go in immediately when I get an infection so they look at it and make sure it is a simple infection and not a sebaceous carcinoma. Eyes are a common area for these and they can look like a stye or chazion.  I am also diabetic and do my yearly screenings.  Eyes are nothing to mess with.  My last eye visit was good although I have the beginnings of cataracts.  No treatment needed yet just going to keep an eye on them.

But back to the orginal topic.  Many things can cause these eye problems but it best to consult with the most experienced eye doctors when there is chemo, diabetes or any chronic conditions.  Hopefully she will find out it is easily treated.

Stef