DLCBL R-chop pneumonia

My husband is 74 yrs old and previous to the diagnosis of DLCBL he was in good shape.  He has had 5 R-chop treatments but has ended up in hospital 3 times with temps.  He received neupogen shots after the 2nd chemo.  Now after #5 he developed pneumonia that was initially thought to be PCP but then after a bronchosope that was ruled out.  He was on oxygen for a few days and then discharged with the same antibiotic he was on when he was admitted. Lexophloxacin.  He is improving but still is very tired.  After one week of discharge they have him scheduled for his last chemo.   He had responded very well to r-chop when they scanned him after the 3rd chemo with impressive results.  Our greatest fear is that they would delay chemo.  As of now chemo is only delayed 1 week.  The doctor upon discharge said the x-ray of his lungs had not changed but that it was only inflammation left from the infection and the infection seemed to be gone.  I know that pneumonia can kill but the cancer left untreated is 100% deadly.  Just looking for some support and want to know whether any of you have gone through this.  They actually sent him home 3 times from emergency when he had fever as his blood work, chest x-ray all came back negative.  Guess the infection was just low grade under the radar.

Comments

• Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 868 Member
    Infections

I was hospitalized 3 times, due to neutropenic fever and infections, during my treatments with R-CHOP. My treatment was delayed twice. It was a tough time, but it is behind me and I have been in remission for 7 months. It sounds like your husband is having a rough go of it also. But you say he is showing impressive results from the treatments. And he is almost done.

I'm sure you have heard all the infection prevention protocols.

Hang in there! Maybe some of the other caregivers that participate here can offer you some advice and encouragement.

You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Rocquie

• teabag43
    teabag43 Member Posts: 8
    Rocquie said:

Infections

I was hospitalized 3 times, due to neutropenic fever and infections, during my treatments with R-CHOP. My treatment was delayed twice. It was a tough time, but it is behind me and I have been in remission for 7 months. It sounds like your husband is having a rough go of it also. But you say he is showing impressive results from the treatments. And he is almost done.

I'm sure you have heard all the infection prevention protocols.

Hang in there! Maybe some of the other caregivers that participate here can offer you some advice and encouragement.

You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Rocquie

Thank you for your kind

Thank you for your kind response.  We don't know whether he will be done with chemo or radiation until his last scan is done.  He had a extranodal Pancreatic tumour so it wasn't as case of just the lymph nodes.  He was stage II.  I am happy that you have completed your chemo and hopefully you continue on to be cancer free.  It is comforting to hear that despite your chemo difficulties you were able to continue on to remission.

• teabag43
    teabag43 Member Posts: 8
    Chemo on

He is scheduled for Chemo full rituximab and 50% all other drugs.  Also they are putting him on septra to prevent pcp pneumonia.  The results of his ct scan taken when he was admitted do not show much improvement in cancer.  Hopefully a lot of it is scar tissue.  We figure 50% is better than no chemo.  So we just have to pray for positive results.  I cannot get over reading about people working and sailing through R-chop.  It has been a struggle for us all the way.  This is his 6th chemo and a ct scan and possibly a pet scan will be done in a months time.   Till then we just have to have strength and pray.

• Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 868 Member
    teabag43 said:

Chemo on

He is scheduled for Chemo full rituximab and 50% all other drugs.  Also they are putting him on septra to prevent pcp pneumonia.  The results of his ct scan taken when he was admitted do not show much improvement in cancer.  Hopefully a lot of it is scar tissue.  We figure 50% is better than no chemo.  So we just have to pray for positive results.  I cannot get over reading about people working and sailing through R-chop.  It has been a struggle for us all the way.  This is his 6th chemo and a ct scan and possibly a pet scan will be done in a months time.   Till then we just have to have strength and pray.

R-CHOP Dose

I couldn't take the CHOP part of the regimen at full strength either. I got 100% on the Rituxan but only 80% on the other drugs. I had to take prophylactic Cipro (awful stuff) with each chemo to prevent infections. I had to go 8 treatments rather than 6 because of the lowered strength. You are right 50% is better than no chemo and may be all he needs.

I am also amazed that some people seem to sail through R-chop. I was so happy to be finished with it! The best part of all is: it worked.

I'm glad your husband's treatment plan has been adjusted according to his needs and he is back on track.

Big hugs to you both,

Rocquie