Hi All! Checking in!

MDCinSC
MDCinSC Member Posts: 574

Friends,

My apoloies for being away as long as I have.  I fear I will be out a while longer.  The reality of cancer and its impact on my immediate circle of family, friends, and me is getting a little too ponderous. I will be out tryng to make sense of it all.

My 27 year old step Grand-daughter decided Tuesday she is no longer fighting in treating her stage IV Hodgkins Lymphoma. She will leave two children; my 64 year old fellow Viet Nam veteran shipmate announced today he is giving up on treating his Stage IV colo-rectal cancer with mets to the lungs; they will both be gone in less than 6 months.

To end the perfect week, my own Primary Care Doctor called me today telling me I need a new set of chest x-rays following my check up last week.  It seems there is a shadow on my right lung they want to examine a little closer.

Have I mentioned that I hate cancer!

I need a break!

Best to all!  I'll be checking in!

I wish you all the best!

Michael

Comments

• Eims
    Eims Member Posts: 423
    michael i just dont know what

michael i just dont know what to say to all that dreadful and desperately sad news.  my friend surround yourself with all that lovely family love and support that you  have and stay strong.......words genuinely fail me x

• BLKJAK
    BLKJAK Member Posts: 108
    Take care of yourself

This might sound a bit self-centered, but you have to take care of yourself first. People will understand. You have too much on your shoulders to take on other people's situations. You can't let yourself get run down and give your cancer a chance to progress. They are making the decision to stop treatment and they have their reasons and are apparently at peace with it.

Get some rest and eat well. You need your strength.

BLKJAK

• Djinnie
    Djinnie Member Posts: 945 Member
    Checking Up

Hi Michael, 

Michael I am sorry to hear your news about your granddaughter and your friend. I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now! It must seem overwhelming! I pray that all goes well with your second round of X-rays, often these shadows can be old scars from bronchitis, or chest infections even recent coughs can leave a mark. We will be thinking of you, let us know how you get on!

Djinnie x

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    Djinnie said:

Checking Up

Hi Michael, 

Michael I am sorry to hear your news about your granddaughter and your friend. I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now! It must seem overwhelming! I pray that all goes well with your second round of X-rays, often these shadows can be old scars from bronchitis, or chest infections even recent coughs can leave a mark. We will be thinking of you, let us know how you get on!

Djinnie x

What to say?

Remember being 20 and we didn't have these problems? Who thought that life would get easier? I'll hold my breath. Maybe everything will be ok. Sometimes this gets so hard. But we remain tough. We can only give it our best effort. Karma for all Mike. Fox.

• Limelife50
    Limelife50 Member Posts: 476
    foxhd said:

What to say?

Remember being 20 and we didn't have these problems? Who thought that life would get easier? I'll hold my breath. Maybe everything will be ok. Sometimes this gets so hard. But we remain tough. We can only give it our best effort. Karma for all Mike. Fox.

Yeppers

Good point Fox i dont mean to be corny but where i work we have an attendance policy and when i was 20 years old i could remember not caring how many points i ran up,now that i am older i find myself being conservative with my attendance saving my points for just in case something happens

• Limelife50
    Limelife50 Member Posts: 476
    Hi Michael

I am so sorry to hear about all the things you are having to endure in your life at this time,life is so precious and fragile which makes it that much harder for us to see the people we care about have to suffer.

• Fizziwiz
    Fizziwiz Member Posts: 42
    You.

Are never far from me, our journeys began nearly simultaneously. 

I am thinking of you and yours. 

Eat well, do what you can..

Liz

• MDCinSC
    MDCinSC Member Posts: 574
    Fizziwiz said:

You.

Are never far from me, our journeys began nearly simultaneously. 

I am thinking of you and yours. 

Eat well, do what you can..

Liz

Thanks Fizziwiz!

I'm getting more and more philosophical.  There is nothing I can change for either of them except to comfort and care as best I can. I CAN travel a little more and be more of a presence. I CAN send support and care through cards, letters, and phone calls. I CAN pray a little more.  I CAN let them know what their presence in my life means to me!

I was so concerned about what I couldn't do, that I forgot what I could do.

Thank you!

Michael

• Darron
    Darron Member Posts: 310 Member
    MDCinSC said:

Thanks Fizziwiz!

I'm getting more and more philosophical.  There is nothing I can change for either of them except to comfort and care as best I can. I CAN travel a little more and be more of a presence. I CAN send support and care through cards, letters, and phone calls. I CAN pray a little more.  I CAN let them know what their presence in my life means to me!

Thank you!

Michael

You can attitude

Better attitude. It isn't what you can't do, but what you can.

they have made their peace with it, make sure you make your peace with them.

as far as you go, fight on. The only pause there can be is to plan the next attack.

• mom2two
    mom2two Member Posts: 48
    I am so sorry for all you are

I am so sorry for all you are going through....know that we all care and are praying for you and your family. 

• mom2two
    mom2two Member Posts: 48
    I am so sorry for all you are

I am so sorry for all you are going through....know that we all care and are praying for you and your family. 

• Eims
    Eims Member Posts: 423
    MDCinSC said:

Thanks Fizziwiz!

Thank you!

Michael

thats the michael we have

thats the michael we have come to know and love ;-)