Recurrence

Options
13»

Comments

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    BigT_1 said:

Turns out that the pain is back along with a lump on my neck.  Needle biopsy on the lump is positive for a recurrence.  Had a PET scan last week and shows positive for recurrence in soft tissue under my tongue.  Met with surgeon yesterday and scheduled surgery for end of the month.

Surgery is to remove lump and then saw the jaw in half at the chin and go in and remove the cancerous tissue and perform a Pectoralis Major Myocutaneous Flap to rebuild floor of mouth.  Not sure how much of the tongue is involved but swallowing will probably be affected and need PEG tube.

Can anyone lend information on this procedure?

bummer

BigT,

Really sorry to hear about the confirmed recurrence. We always want to believe the beast is dead and it just is so hard when recurrence is detected. Sounds like you have a solid plan of attack and doctors you trust. You'll need to get tough like before and just put one foot in fromt of the other until you get to the other side. Best wishes, don

• fishmanpa
    fishmanpa Member Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    BigT_1 said:

Turns out that the pain is back along with a lump on my neck.  Needle biopsy on the lump is positive for a recurrence.  Had a PET scan last week and shows positive for recurrence in soft tissue under my tongue.  Met with surgeon yesterday and scheduled surgery for end of the month.

Surgery is to remove lump and then saw the jaw in half at the chin and go in and remove the cancerous tissue and perform a Pectoralis Major Myocutaneous Flap to rebuild floor of mouth.  Not sure how much of the tongue is involved but swallowing will probably be affected and need PEG tube.

Son of a.....!

Sorry to hear of this BigT

Sounds lke your team has a game plan so it's time to put the battle gear on again. Other than the PEG tube installation (which is a piece of cake really), I don't have experience I can share but I can and will send...

Positive thoughts and prayers

"T"

• sin9775
    sin9775 Member Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    BigT_1 said:

So Sorry

Oh, Big T, I am so very sorry for your hard news.  I will pray for continued strength for you to do battle with Jack again. 

~Shawn~

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    WOW...

Dang, that's some bad luck there...., one of the few...

But there are others here, Pat for one, Hondo and a few more that have had to go around more than once with this, and are still kicking.

Stay positive, kick butt and survive a long life.

You have a lot of people here in your corner.

Best,

John

• KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103
    Options
    BigT_1 said:

So sorry to hear

We must swim in the same gene pool!  I've gone around 4 times now.  Not fun but doable.  Sounds like your team has a plan.  Build yourself up as much as you can before surgery and I hope you have a team of caregivers ready and willing to help out.  My husband, older sister and church friends have gotten me through my treatments and recovery with the help of God and prayer.  Keep in touch and let us know how you progress.

• Hummingbird3
    Hummingbird3 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    BigT_1 said:

BigT

I just wanted to let you know you have another team supporter here.  Will be praying for you over the next few weeks as you get closer to your surgery day.  I really hope in the next few weeks your able to find some hope and solice in all of this.  It sounds like your a fighter.  Take it one day at a time.  This group is phenomenal and so incredibly supportive.  I'm pretty new myself but they are always always here so your never alone!  

christie

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Big T

Keeping you in prayer, you have now joined the 2nd club, we fought it and you will too.

God Bless

Tim Hondo